DCI World Class 2009 Finals Thread

Did anyone detect a bit of tearing between HNC,s battery and pit last night, or was it the

Echo, co, co , co?

Long ago, there was a corps named the Sparks. Any know who they are now?

Blue Devils, I believe

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Devils, I believe

The Sparks were the corps that evolved into the Santa Clara Vanguard.

That really sucks for the snare drummer to have fallen down. That would definitely mess up the entire snare show. Too bad for that drummer; I hope he is ok! Maybe the drills have just made the drumming subservient and it's time for music to reclaim its importance over the crazy marching drums corps have to perform these days.

It was inevitable that eventually this would happen in my opinion. Nobody had more of the high risk, high velocity drill than did the Cadets this year. The fact that a marcher fell down in the high risk, high velocity drill is not surprising. The fact that it led to score diminishment in the percussion line from which the fallen member participated in is likewise no surprise. The fact it cost the Cadets a placement positition also is no surprise.

What WILL be a surprise however is if the Caderts will not rethink this high velocity drill in light of this outcome in the off seasoin and next year won't tone down the high velocity drill moves and offer up a visual program in which performers perform with the use of props and in a more stationary and more vertical approach with their visual as opposed to going mostly horizontal moves at great speed like they did this year. The Cadets will rethink this stylistic approach in the offseason. I'm certain of it. They won't want to put themselves in such a high risk position like this again next year. They saw the path the Blue Devils took visually to attain their title. And the Cadets staff show designers are are not dummies. They'll adjust to the changing landscape that the Blue Devils of 2009 have now ushered in.

Edited by BRASSO

It's just my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. It's just how I feel about it. If there are a lot of comments from the crowd tonight that said, "Wow HNC were great, except their drumline was just off" then I'm more apt to believe the 8th place score.

That was the general comment of several of my friends who are non-Crown fans at last nights show. Three are huge Cadets fans. After the fall, they said it just appeared that the line had trouble trying to recover.

Now I really want to see the dvd. Cadets having an "off night" in percussion has to be a huge understatement considering the drop and spread. An off night usually costs you around a few tenths (esp finals). Cadets guard also had a off night in 2002. And they were really "off". They still took 3rd in guard and only dropped a few tenths. I feel bad that a fall could cost them 2nd place. Especially after hearing they were on fire as a corps last night.

Edited by Feathers Up

At least Crown wasn't being sore losers..... unlike one corps in particular last year.

1.5 point spread to the champion doesn't qualify as being a sore loser.

nonetheless, congrat to BD, Crown and HNC this season.

:doh:

Pipitone called it like he saw it. I was taught by the man for 3 years and I never saw him make an unfair call. The fact that your favorite corp didn't get second because one man had the balls to say that they sucked during this particular show is what should be considered an outrage. Let me put it to you this way: Last year Phantom won drums (Pipitone was the judge then too) and this year they were fifth. He wasn't playing favorites, he just gave a fair score.

Mallets2014 has the right to his opinion as does anyone else.

I've gotten 3 emails from different people who attended the show last night. Two are former percussion guys from back when and non are HNC alumni or have any connection to that org. Their take on the HNC drum placement was the same. Something was 'way' wrong. Under the old tic system - sure their could be some swings - but under the subjective judging these days and how DCI keeps corps/captions pretty much aligned from show to show. - there was a major injustice to HNC. Some of the great traditions ( tick based judging/passing in review/all corps playing in retreat etc. etc. ) one thing that obviously has not changed is that you get some yahoo judge out to make a statement at a show - Pipitone had his 15 minutes of anger with George and the HNC for whatever reason. I understand Pipitone's judging comments alone - tells the tale -. This was an abhorrent, lack of ethics on his part and while he may have earned some respect during his percussive career - he blew it at one show.

BD was the hands down judge favorite and deserved the result I'm sure, but Pipitone's lapse in decent, good judgment was an atrocity for HNC who obviously should have finished second if Pipitone had only been a decent individual. Good things come to good people and then bad things happen to those who prefer to do evil - he'll get his on a personal level at some point.

It was inevitable that eventually this would happen in my opinion. Nobody had more of the high risk, high velocity drill than did the Cadets this year. The fact that a marcher fell down in the high risk, high velocity drill is not surprising. The fact that it led to score diminishment in the percussion line from which the fallen member participated in is likewise no surprise. The fact it cost the Cadets a placement positition also is no surprise.

What WILL be a surprise however is if the Caderts will not rethink this high velocity drill in light of this outcome in the off seasoin and next year won't tone down the high velocity drill moves and offer up a visual program in which performers perform with the use of props and in a more stationary and more vertical approach with their visual as opposed to going mostly horizontal moves at great speed like they did this year. The Cadets will rethink this stylistic approach in the offseason. I'm certain of it. They won't want to put themselves in such a high risk position like this again next year. They saw the path the Blue Devils took visually to attain their title. And the Cadets staff show designers are are not dummies. They'll adjust to the changing landscape that the Blue Devils of 2009 have now ushered in.

Seems Brasso perhaps would prefer the corps to park and blow for entire show and perhaps sit down on chairs like a concert orchestra. Through 30 odd performances no one in the HNC drum line fell - why is that ? Back in the golden age of DC - kids fell and we wern't doing the things HNC were doing I can assure you. One slip and Brasso wants to see the activity change everything - his opinion.

Edited by coloradocorp

Now I really want to see the dvd. Cadets having an "off night" in percussion has to be a huge understatement considering the drop and spread. An off night usually costs you around a few tenths (esp finals). Cadets guard also had a off night in 2002. And they were really "off". They still took 3rd in guard and only dropped a few tenths. I feel bad that a fall could cost them 2nd place. Especially after hearing they were on fire as a corps last night.

yeah the corps was in the midst of a phenomenal show. they had like 3 or 4 standing O's during the show, then around the 2/3rd's point a snare drummer went down and almost took another snare and a bass with him. it took him til the end of the set to really get back in because thier spacing got thrown off big time. from there they had a few step off issues as well as other spacing issues. i was sittin 18 rows up on the right side 40 and it was obvious from there that something got in their heads and their performance was a little off the rest of the show. cadet fans should not be bitter about the drum score for many reasons.

1 the drum judge was right out there with them when it happened and witnessed everything that followed afterwards (ie the stepoffs spacing issues ect.)

2 im sure this kid is just feeling terrible and beating himself up like crazy for what happened. but this kid has absolutely worked his A** off all summer to perform an amazing show for all drum corps fans. no one needs to add to the guilt or pain he might be feeling by saying if it hadnt happened they would have gotten second. that may be true but if that kid happened to get on here and see that how much worse do you think you just made him feel?

3 dont blame any judges....people were on here most of the early season saying that the judges were going to hand the championship to holy name because it was their anniversary year and it was like destiny for them. now there is like a complete 180 saying that he scored them low on purpose to keeep them out of the top 2. gimme a break.

the cadets crown and bd all had an amazing show. and if i were going to pic a gripe of any kind with a judge it would be the visual performance judge. after watching cadets and crown march around in craziness (esp cadets) with their drill, to then have bd come out and not be near as exciting (for me at least) and to say that they perfomred perfect visually. but hey no sour grapes here. they went undefeated all season and they earned their championship just felt the score was a bit high.

congrats to all corps on an amazing season and i would espcet phantom to finish much higher than 9th next yr you can count on that

1.5 point spread to the champion doesn't qualify as being a sore loser.

nonetheless, congrat to BD, Crown and HNC this season.

An undeserving 1.5 point spread. 99+? Really? Reaaalllyyy? Come on judges, give them what they deserve. There is absolutely no reason they needed to be placed into the 99+ category when anything in the low 98's would have still placed them first.