TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

Don't care about Cadets, don't care about SCV, but as drummer you know either you lay it down or don't. You can't be in top 3 with a bad drum line performance. I don't know if they got ripped, or just choked on the field. But you should not be able to do that. COME ON MAN!!!!!!! LOL..... a tick is a tick. If ain't there it ain't no tick.

I find it hard to believe the Cadets went from 3rd to 7th in drums.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. How the heck did different corps travelling on different buses, staying at different places, all get sick. If they all took the same cruise ship, I could understand...

2. Just because someone on this boards states it, does not make it true.

3. BD was not going to let a Judge's score deny them.

Face it excitement is not a category Judges reward

Anyone who might say this to a PR Phan directly I'm suspecting would get kicked square in the junk

Crown benefited from it too this year, plus being the cinderella story and underdog, etc.

Why do we even need judges if we need two judges to even out everyone's score?

Don't worry, American Idol I hear is taping again so you, the fan, can stuff the ballot box, autodial to your hearts content until your favorite wins.

spoiler! Paula is not coming back so no more sympathy talk - just the Simon

Why do we even need judges if we need two judges to even out everyone's score?

Don't worry, American Idol I hear is taping again so you, the fan, can stuff the ballot box, autodial to your hearts content until your favorite wins.

Best

As I said, these are things we think but dare not say.....

To the above comment in all seriousness, they would be pretty well liked? LOL... Got to love that one.

1.) A 64 count hold is a 64 count hold. I don't care what body visuals you're doing or how you're dancing on chairs, it's boring. Stop.

2.) Lucas Oil Sucks and got rid of loud awesome hornlines.

3.) G Bugles are no louder than Bb. The people who claim otherwise just had better hearing back then. (Though I will admit, the sound is definitely unique).

4.) If you can't hum the music while listening to the snare part alone, it's not a musical snare part. I'm looking at you, Cadets.

5.) I enjoyed Spirit's show. Suck it.

6.) SCV's drill was harder, cleaner, and better than BD's at Quarterfinals, yet their Visual GE score was lacking.

7.) In fact, GE scores in general are a sham.

8.) I will pay someone four million pesos (about $3.00) if they fit a G bugle, Timp Tom, and Flugelhorn into their show next year.

9.) BD performed the hell out of their show this year, and to the best of their ability, but it was NOT a 99.05, no matter what anyone says. The show design was not up to par with their previous years.

10.) Next year Troopers should say "#### Lucas Oil" and play their entire show at a triple forte, so that whilst everyone else designs wimpy shows made for an indoor stadium, we'll all be able to become Troopers fans. Again.

4. Is it better to be clean and boring or Dirty and exciting. What the heck is the GE score about anyway? hmmmm If you are running around the field making intricate shapes and designs and the crowd goes ooooooo, ahhhhhhhh you get a high score? Or is it you use all kinds of props add a little marching here a little there and you then become unique and therefore given a high GE score?

7. What's wrong with having the crowd stand up and cheer after announcing the Champion? When Phantom won in 2008 everybody went crazy. I haven't seen a response like that in over 15 years. Point here shouldn't fans walk away feeling better about the competition?

meh

4. I like dirty and exciting. Crown's show had me and most everyone else on our feet yelling and getting into the music. BD was like... :tongue: They need to add like an originality/excitement caption or something.

7. The crowd will stand and cheer when the shows we like win. I honestly just clapped a little when BD won, I was not impressed with their show this year.

TOP 10:

1. Far less regional show tours means I go to less shows.

2. Ticket prices are too high ... period

3. Bring Back Kalamazoo!!!!!!!

4. Open the roof or I'm never going to finals

5. Whole Notes are NOT exciting

6. Bring back white pants with stripes (Coats, SCV, Scouts, etc etc etc.)

7. Higher bandwidth is needed on FN live broadcasts - 48K for sound is putrid

8. Get rid of the synths ........ period. Find a way to make the effect without pushing buttons.

9. Outlaw Pyware. Use a pencil and paper, it turns out much better when you have to use your brain to write it and see it before it becomes reality.

10. Get rid of Open Class OR Let them in Semi's. There's no longer an excuse.

Alternate #1 .... TURN DOWN THE PITS! Put a cap decibel limit on it please and thanks.

4. I honestly didn't mind it. I am going to try and go again next year.

5. they can be sometimes, depending on how they are used.

7. Agreed 100%

8. I could go either way on the synths

1. Unless you're Cadets Allentown pretty much sucks as a drum corps venue

2. If you look past the pure bias, electronics really didn't greatly impact shows (good or bad). They were mainly used subtly and for the most part blended with the ensemble (when the volume in the front ensemble wasn't too loud). Just because you can hear them doesn't mean they ruin the show.

3. You can't deny that Blue Devils are the best corps of the DCI era. Like or hate the shows, they are designed to the letter of the sheets, and are generally performed ridiculously well.

4. The typical fan has little/no understanding of the score sheets, especially General Effect. The general understanding is either "Corps x is marching a 'harder' show than Corps Y, so therefor they should win," or "the crowd cheered for corps x more than corps y so corps x should win GE." Face it folks: the highest grossing movie of the year is Transformers 2. More people went to see Transformers 2 than any other movie this year (so far). Just because millions and millions of people went to see the movie does not make it good!

5. Drum corps is REALLY subjective, and everyone assumes their opinion/bias should be the law.

6. Drum corps fans are uber opinionated and super stubborn.

7. "Int." threads are SO not funny anymore, yet we continue to force the joke on the community. They're are about as amusing as the "Your wishes will come true if you forward this to ten people" e-mails that your 60 year old mom sends you thinking she stubbled upon an amazing discovery no one's heard before.

8. People dislike the Blue Devils because they are successful.

9. While Phantom was able to skate to a Championship last year with a sub-par visual program, it bit them in the butt this year.

10. DCP is irrelevant to DCI show designers, corps directors, and policy makers. We can type as many posts as we want threatening boycotts, refusal to donate to corps, and crazy half-witted "proposals" on how to roll back the rules to the 1990's, but it's not going to happen. It doesn't matter, and DCI will continue to move on with or without us. Thinking otherwise = delusions of grandeur. DCP is an adequate place to bicker, read show reviews, wait for the site to crash while waiting for Finals scores, etc. but it has zero effect on inner workings of the activity. Even when a DCP member pulls strings and gets a corps to sponsor proposals that roll back rules, DCI is laughed at behind closed doors by everyone who matters: DCI Board, most corps directors, and staff members.

AGREED. You can't accurately judge percussion when you're not watching both parts of the percussion section at all times. This is why we need a box judge.

it would help call out balance issues ensemble music seems to avoid

it would help call out balance issues ensemble music seems to avoid

Slightly. Didn't seem to in the past. In fact, it's not horrible competitively to have the pit loud and clear so they can get more credit for the subtle intricate stuff they do: if a judge can't clearly hear it and know exactly what's going on, he's not going to credit it.

If you think I'm tellin'..... think again.