TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

They were in SECOND place until like....quarters? or Allentown? That doesnt sound like falling from grace to me.

And BD beat Crown by quite a bit....I dont think he dunked them enough for crown to win if he hadnt.

I took what he said about Crown as meaning the only reason they beat Cadets was because of Pipitone's percussion score.

You could also easily say that Cadets' drumme who fell at finals, and then caused much dirt after his "recovery," also cost Cadets 2nd place. Or, you could blame the brass judge for putting a .6 spread between Cadets and Crown.

Or you could just say that Crown owned musical over Cadets, Cadets owned visual over Crown, and GE was basically a wash. But Cadets musically were not clean at finals in brass or percussion.

It's crazy to try to blame any one individual for a placement drop (performer or judge). Obviously Cadets had musical issues at finals. You could easily say that Crown's music program put them in 2nd (or Cadets music program put them 3rd).

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West side story was very entertaining, but full of dirt and sets that were a complete mess. Should crap be rewarded?

They have been in the past.

1991 Star of Indiana

1993 Cadets of Bergen County

1994 Blue Devils

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

2007 Blue Devils

2008 Phantom Regiment

2009 Cadets were cleaner than the ones above for sure. And I wouldn't put them near the ballpark of "crap".

Disagree. I found Crown's percussion to be very unmusical this year. Especially their front ensemble. Huge step back from "Finis." I loved Crown's arrangement of "Overture to Candide" for their pit last year. Very tasteful and musical.

This year, it was full of chromatic patterns and minor arpeggios in permutations that did not compliment the music at all.

I also heard tons of runs and triplet/sixtuplet patterns across the mallet line that made no sense to me either. Quite distracting. Might I add that they were turned up quite a bit....

This sounds like a pit versus battery argument to me. CC having a better battery and BD having a better pit. I guess pit wins...

Really?

You know, I've enjoyed Crown's shows for almost this entire decade, but posts like this make me feel like the organization must be doing something terribly wrong to produce supporters with such attitudes. Did you notice at retreat how BD's horn line applauded when Crown won high brass? You might consider displaying a similar amount of graciousness towards a corps that had a lot of excellence this summer, regardless of whether you enjoyed their show or not.

It's easy to be gracious from the top, when you know you're going to win. You can throw the little guy a bone. No biggie.

Agreed totally.

Personally I enjoyed Spirits show. They actually had a rhythm going I could tap my foot to for more than two seconds,even if some of it is from a bass guitar...I'm desperate for music,what can I say,however I can get it. The segmented ADD I get from Devils and too many other corps just ain't music. I would have enjoyed Devils show much more had they just stayed parked in those chairs and played a actual tune or two,lol.

Devils 1930 show included the Great Depression? Is that where the Haunted Mansion music came from? You would think they'd attempt some visuals to 'key' the fact they are referring to the GD,instead of having some drums and horns squeeze a guard member on the 50 and then chase him off with the chairs. How this relates to the GD,god only knows.

As for the stadium,it's beautiful. Food is ridiculously priced for what you get. First night we had three.....three stale pretzels and the souvenir cup was from a NCAA Basketball event. WTH is that? How bout at least a Colts cup? Wouldn't it make sense to have a DCI Championship cup?? Maybe?? Possibly? ANYway,the sound was terrible the higher up you sat. First night we were up and it sounded so muddled it was hard to make any defination out. Last two nights we sat very low and it was much more enjoyable....

BD did make a $. That obviously translates into the great depression. Come on... What did you think it was a message to the judges? :rolleyes:

What? Several pages later and no one is upset by my "band nerds" comment? Well maybe this will do it...

Drum corps as an activity has jumped the shark.

Dude, I said this last year, but really loudly this year. No biggie. I'm just waiting to see how it all ends.

Hey Garry, LOS looked pretty full to me, so unless they had a lot of gate crashers, you may be getting some bad skinny. But....if you're right, just bring it back to the Rose Bowl and we'll square away those balance sheets (and the fans actually know how to behave!).

Yes, because we have lots of money laying around to pay for drum corps shows.

The CA unemployment automated system hangs up on people, but there are tons of people around to pay for those high priced tickets. Nope.

Dude, I said this last year, but really loudly this year. No biggie. I'm just waiting to see how it all ends.

fonzie-jumping-the-shark-300x168.jpg