TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

Of course. Now assume your favorite corps has been killing em' all year long at other venues and particularly your home venues elsewhere in the country, now it's finals and a greater majority of the crowd is another corps fans due to proximity to the finals venue (and they are clearly there for a purpose). It just becomes a venue popularity contest and all "those" corps need to do is field a decent show and the fans will do the rest. And if you think people are sitting on their hands now, that would be a whole other level of targeted response.

I disagree.

Last year the most popular corps was Phantom. They should have won and did.

This year, two east coast corps were easily the most popular. I don't believe for a minute that the stadium was filled with folks who live in PA or SC.

If you have a show that the audience loves, then it should count for something. If you have a show that puts everyone to sleep, or worse, people don't understand, than you take the risk of not winning for "art's sake".

The whole idea is to bring MORE people to drum corps. Give the people what they want.

Edited by Getintoyourcolor

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole idea is to bring MORE people to drum corps. Give the people what they want.

As far as competition goes, the whole idea is to reward excellence.

Neither Crown nor Cadets were executing at BD's level, and Crown (especially) had enough of their own low demand visual elements (running to sets, posing, etc) to balance off BD's easy chair drill. Cadets visual program was tougher, but they didn't execute it as well and their drumline was significantly dirtier than BD.

It's not a popularity contest. For that, there's American Idol.

Edited by mobrien

Bleh. If DCI Finals ever come back to California, it needs to be either at Qualcomm Stadium (gorgeous stadium and location!) , or the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. No Rose Bowl!

The Coliseum???? Uhhh...no thanks....I don't think anyone wants a repeat of Miami in 83. BAD idea.

The Coliseum???? Uhhh...no thanks....I don't think anyone wants a repeat of Miami in 83. BAD idea.

Ain't that the truth! I used to go to USC games with some friends, but we always parked on Fraternity Row and walked across campus to the Coliseum.

Well, if 14,000 (or less) is what we can expect, would Stanford work? There are about 15K seats on the home side. Or Autzen Stadium at UOregon (15K-20K home side)? Husky Stadium (UW) in Seattle has about 31K seats on the home side, and Reser Stadium at OSU has about 18K on the home side.

BTW, Reser used to be Parker Stadium. Who said they could change that? Oh...never mind that Charles Parker put up a lot of money for the original stadium. Reser $$$$ speaks louder now that he's been dead for a couple of decades.

Garry (Parker) in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

i think the west coast would draw more because they have had 1 in 37 years. Denver would draw too.

my guess is the Dome and the same place forever hurt

Bleh. If DCI Finals ever come back to California, it needs to be either at Qualcomm Stadium (gorgeous stadium and location!) , or the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. No Rose Bowl!

Attendance was good but how many corps did we loose that next season ?

is it worth it ?

AS I LOVE HAVING DCI HERE A CENTRAL LOCATION IS BETTER. LUCAS OIL HAS MAJOR PROBLEMS.

LL

Neither Crown nor Cadets were executing at BD's level, and Crown (especially) had enough of their own low demand visual elements (running to sets, posing, etc) to balance off BD's easy chair drill. Cadets visual program was tougher, but they didn't execute it as well and their drumline was significantly dirtier than BD.

Aren't the build up captions popularity contests? GE too? BD's show was not that clean but good, Crown was as clean, Cadets, same. From where I was sitting BD had nothing over these two. But hey, someone has to be the winner.

Now that I think about it, the Marine Drum & Bugle Corp was the best at the show. Their soloists didn't choke-quite the opposite. Their drill was perfect, unis actually fitted and looked amazing. Even the cymbalist picking up a dropped snare stick was a class act. There's your real winners.

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

to be true to the topic of things we think but never say:

Just how stable are the corps....monies tight, donations down, corporate sponsorships will dry up next year as budgets have or will be shortly cut due to the economic turn down, remember most sponsorships were funded with budgets drawn up in 2008.... too many corps are carring debt that might get too burdensome

But alas, we never want to hear that or talk about it as it always becomes a bashing contest if any corps is mentioned?

Quite frankly, popularity SHOULD be factored in. Why not? What's the point of being "excellent" if nobody cares or , worse, nobody understands it? You end up alienating large groups of people who are your paying customers. Try being excellent in front of an empty stadium?

How about be excellent AND be popular. The two are not mutually exclusive...

Quite frankly, popularity SHOULD be factored in. Why not?

Run another musical or artistic competition and use "popularity" as a major criteria, and Britney Spears and the Jonas Brothers will win all the time. After all, they're more popular than almost anyone else.

Crown didn't win because they weren't exhibiting the same excellence across the board as BD. Were they weaker in percussion? Yes. Weaker in visual execution? Yes. Weaker in guard design and execution? Yes. Horns, it's a toss up. So there's one category out of four in which they were on the same level as BD, and yet some seem to think they should have gotten extra credit because their Aunt Sally thought "that Tinkerbell thing was cute..." and "I didn't like some of that squawking music in Blue Devils show."

It has nothing to do with what Aunt Sally thinks is cute or fun or endearing. It has to do with the ambition of the program and the execution of said program. I'd rather see excellence in thought and execution rewarded than lowest common denominator appeal. Doesn't mean the more populist shows aren't fun to watch, but I don't want to see them rewarded just because they're fun, especially if it means that others who are executing better get punished as a result.

Edited by mobrien