TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

Whew! Made it!

Pretty much everything I was thinking has been said, but I want to reiterate a couple.

1) I need a melodic line to really interest me in a show. SCV brought it. Kudos to Key for going back to the source for inspiration.

2) Already addressed the "everybody does the same thing" body movement in drumline features in another thread. Also the cocksure attitude for playins a tough lick. Hey, you're a DCI corps. You're a DCI drumline. You're SUPPOSED to play tough licks, and play them clean. Don't overly celebrate what's expected. Show me confidence by NOT jumping up and down and raw-meat-devouring facial expressions.

3) My hearing's fine. I don't need amps to hear the pit, so I surely don't need them cranked up to "11".

4) Regarding an earlier set of comments: You won't find the LSO at LOS. Why is it OK for drum corps, and especially fans, to be subjected to lousy acoustics?

5) Any thought of going to Indy for finals is crushed by the cost of tickets and the aforementioned acoustics. The latter will also deny any DVD purchases.

6) Yeah, huge props went out with the 80's.

7) After Colts, I also wondered why they weren't scoring higher, as DeLucia mentioned. But after watching Troopers I agreed that they performed just a little better.

8) We (my lovely bride and I) enjoyed every show except one. That was the one with too much furniture relocation, not enough brass, and not enough development to keep the brass interesting. I can appreciate great execution as well as the next guy, but not when it bores me, or leaves me wanting more.

9) I hope George Hopkins believes what he wrote on his blog, about how much he enjoyed seeing the corps rewarded for their performance. I doubt there was one "boo" this summer. For what it's worth, this was the best HNC/GC/CBC/75 show since 2000.

10) I've heard from a very reliable source that paid finals attendance at LOS was only 14K. Will that keep DCI in business, or can we expect a Chapter 11 filing from them, too?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10) I've heard from a very reliable source that paid finals attendance at LOS was only 14K. Will that keep DCI in business, or can we expect a Chapter 11 filing from them, too?

Garry in Vegas

Hey Garry, LOS looked pretty full to me, so unless they had a lot of gate crashers, you may be getting some bad skinny. But....if you're right, just bring it back to the Rose Bowl and we'll square away those balance sheets (and the fans actually know how to behave!).

Hey Garry, LOS looked pretty full to me, so unless they had a lot of gate crashers, you may be getting some bad skinny. But....if you're right, just bring it back to the Rose Bowl and we'll square away those balance sheets (and the fans actually know how to behave!).

Bleh. If DCI Finals ever come back to California, it needs to be either at Qualcomm Stadium (gorgeous stadium and location!) , or the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. No Rose Bowl!

LOS wasn't even close to full. there were whole sections completely empty on the 100 level. about 15k-18k in attendance would seem correct. anything more is over-estimating. there may have been more seats sold, but there weren't the same amount of bodies in said seats.

Garry in Vegas

Yikes! If true, that's one of the lowest this decade, right? There were more people than that in LOS for finals, but certainly a decent number were non-paid (OC staff & members, 13-22 staff & members, etc.).

The last press release I can find from DCI is here for 2007. It claims 24K paid tickets for finals in Pasadena. If your 14K number is true, that's a shocking decline in two years. The press release also says something like 6K unpaid tickets for finals that year.

Did DCI ever announce attendance for 2008 in Bloomington? I don't think I ever saw an official or unofficial figure.

The last press release I can find from DCI is here for 2007. It claims 24K paid tickets for finals in Pasadena. If your 14K number is true, that's a shocking decline in two years. The press release also says something like 6K unpaid tickets for finals that year.

Did DCI ever announce attendance for 2008 in Bloomington? I don't think I ever saw an official or unofficial figure.

---------------

"shocking decline"............nope I would say keep watching the slide. The better adjective is "predictable" decline.

Among the most popular TV shows in recent years is Idol, SYTYCD, and the like. A big part of the popularity stems from the audience participation factor - that is, the folks who watch are invested in the outcome because they vote the outcome.

Obviously this would not work for DCI but.....

Why not change the judging system to include audience popularity? Or at least to allow it to affect the scoring?

It would require the judges to leave their Ivory Towers and allow the fact that the audience might "know better" than them so there's a big challenge.

But, wouldn't you be more inclined to attend Championship Week (or any other show for that matter) if you knew that your standing ovation had an effect on the outcome?

Among the most popular TV shows in recent years is Idol, SYTYCD, and the like. A big part of the popularity stems from the audience participation factor - that is, the folks who watch are invested in the outcome because they vote the outcome.

Obviously this would not work for DCI but.....

Why not change the judging system to include audience popularity? Or at least to allow it to affect the scoring?

It would require the judges to leave their Ivory Towers and allow the fact that the audience might "know better" than them so there's a big challenge.

But, wouldn't you be more inclined to attend Championship Week (or any other show for that matter) if you knew that your standing ovation had an effect on the outcome?

Of course. Now assume your favorite corps has been killing em' all year long at other venues and particularly your home venues elsewhere in the country, now it's finals and a greater majority of the crowd is another corps fans due to proximity to the finals venue (and they are clearly there for a purpose). It just becomes a venue popularity contest and all "those" corps need to do is field a decent show and the fans will do the rest. And if you think people are sitting on their hands now, that would be a whole other level of targeted response.