What's wrong with DCA?

To a die-hard drum corps fan, they will be willing to pay up to $50 to see their old corps play. For normal people though, they don't put drum corps nearly on the same level as even a movie. Us fans would like to think differently and yes it will always be a niche activity but wouldn't it be great to share what we love with more people?

Why cut out people who are willing to invite their neighbors, families, and friends to events? Why must it all be DCA alumni? And again, I personally had no problem paying $20 as an individual, I mean I'd be complaining over just 5-10 bucks! But it really cuts out the casual fans or people who come in groups.

This isn't too big an issue as of this point because it looks like all the other shows are managed decently. The "our sponsors control the activity we have no idea what's going to happen!" logic sounds more like an excuse than what DCA should be doing - expanding the activity to more people :doh:

you do realize that in this economy, a lot of folks arent doing anything, including paying their bills since they are out work. I think a lot of realized attendance may be down this year, and sd as it is, people have to priortize the real world over a drum corps show.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly, with the economy in the toilet, many people aren't working and the real world takes priority over a drum corps show. $20.00 is too much money to simply waste.

But.....I would guess that there are some of us who simply can't pass up the chance to see a good drum corps show. For me, it's a choice between being poor and miserable (wishing I was at a drum corps show)...or poor and thrilled to see some great entertainment AND lots of friends. Heck, $20.00 is a bargain. :thumbup:

Certainly, with the economy in the toilet, many people aren't working and the real world takes priority over a drum corps show. $20.00 is too much money to simply waste.

But.....I would guess that there are some of us who simply can't pass up the chance to see a good drum corps show. For me, it's a choice between being poor and miserable (wishing I was at a drum corps show)...or poor and thrilled to see some great entertainment AND lots of friends. Heck, $20.00 is a bargain. :thumbup:

diehards will find the money. I did when i was faced with my employment issues for 3 months this year...back when tickets went on sale.

but the average fan isnt that die hard. so while we want to get them, let's be a little realistic of the economy out there, and work on a plan for the future to get them in.

discount tickets too much now for customers that may not come anyways, and you have sponsors losing money....they lose too much, you lose a sponsor

there's no easy answer - the analogy of minor league baseball is flawed because the majority of the minor league clubs are affiliated with the majors who absorb some of the cost.

Kingston is such a beautiful location - the stands are smallish and well situated. You really get a good look and an even better listen, especially to all-age corps. And you're in the Catskills and the area is gorgeous while being not too far from the city.

It's my favorite show to attend, although I think that the Hurcs' show in August gives you just a great look at what DCA Rochester is going to hold.

I'd rather pay less, but hey! I sort of wish the '75 Skyliners would show up and blow me away too.

For now, this is a wonderful show in a great locations with corps who bring it, and leave it all on the field.

I respect your observations. As one of the "older fans" I'm glad we've still got Kingston.

Why cut out people who are willing to invite their neighbors, families, and friends to events? Why must it all be DCA alumni? And again, I personally had no problem paying $20 as an individual, I mean I'd be complaining over just 5-10 bucks! But it really cuts out the casual fans or people who come in groups.

No, it really doesn't.

Price it out. Where are these people going instead that $20/person is exorbitant? Or even anything other than entirely reasonable?

discount tickets too much now for customers that may not come anyways, and you have sponsors losing money....they lose too much, you lose a sponsor

I'm agreeing with you, Jeff.

How long do you think the Kingston show would last if the Children's Home wasn't making at least a few bucks? And would there still be a Lewisburg show if the local band supporters weren't making at least a few dollars on ticket sales?

We'd be reduced to corps-sponsored shows in fairly short order. In fact, it's already happening. Hawthorne, for example, is sponsoring three shows this year - Wildwood, Clifton/Wayne, and this new one in Secaucus. And the Brigs are running four.

At least one major show sponsor is looking at the possibility of running an all-aumni show next summer - for a host of different reasons.

I'm of the opinion that we're in danger of splitting off into two different types of shows - the prancin' and dancin' type of show that's becoming increasingly prevalent and the old-fashioned rock 'em sock 'em, get fans up off their seats, peel their faces off type of show. The former will be sponsored by the corps themselves - so we can entertain each other, while the latter will be sponsored by groups that want to bring paying customers into the seats. That's my opinion - and I'm sticking to it.

Andy

I think DCA actually is pretty much a value. Going to see a (horrendous!) film (think GI Joe!) these days is expensive, we are buying tickets for Brian Stetzer and I think they are like $75 a pop. It costs money to be entertained these days, and I think DCA is right on target with pricing.

About the crowd, there was a family right in front on me-no small kids, but a family nonetheless. Alot of folks were couples-middle-aged to elderly. Nothing wrong with that demographic-these are the folks who have money. A lot of those couples have partners who have an indirect interest. I also have overheard locals at the show in the last few years. In fact, last year a guy sold us tickets on the 50 yard line as his family had something come-up. Anyhow, this guy was not connected to any corps-he had been following senior corps for years-just an indirect fan. So they are out there and in the Kingston crowd. I do think Kingston attracts a crowd that is more densely DCA fanatics, but that is cool in my book.

DCA in general attracts a very mixed crowd-at least in the Eastern coast shows. One of the things that I like is that it's a very diverse audience. It's just drum corps folks. I wish DCI had such a diverse fan base.

About the level of competition-the top corps are very good. I also enjoy watching the small corps-not so long ago, the Hurricanes were nigh onto small. So who knows-a parade corps like 20th Century limited may be very formidable in a few years. It's all part of the drama that I love about drum corps-well at least the DCA version. Anyhow, if you are used to synths, amps, etc., pure drum corps may not be your cup of tea. There's no accounting for people's tastes. My friends refuse to go to DCI shows with me anymore b/c they find them boring (many complaints about Sarah Jone's bout with Breast cancer). In terms of folks finding a show rewarding, I think the DCA approach is much more attractive to the indirect or casual fan.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

i think DCI still has a mix, but with bands getting tons of discounts it does skew their crowds younger. but I know at Allentown i saw more older folks than I did at Chambersburg

I find the dislike of older folks attending Drum Corps Shows disturbing. Drum Corps is not just for kids.

Our Society is becoming intolerant of the young, below 14 and the old above 60 and I think it's sad.