Mini Corps Championships....who will take second?

I can't believe you take offense to keeping open minds and ears. Mini corps isn't won by impressive credentials, it's won on stage. Your comments have no validity whatsoever. I also have to add, the attitude of 'we're going to be more cerebral, if you don't like it, tough" says a lot about your contempt for the average DCA fan. It could do you guys in someday......

Edited by Borg Bari

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all good and everyone is a winner. Mini Corps rocks.

I hope Renegades come back next year, they were a big part of Friday night's show.

To all the corps, please no music stands. It totally takes away from the visual effect not to mention the impression it leave with the audience of being unprepaired.

I can't believe you take offense to keeping open minds and ears. Mini corps isn't won by impressive credentials, it's won on stage. Your comments have no validity whatsoever. I also have to add, the attitude of 'we're going to be more cerebral, if you don't like it, tough" says a lot about your contempt for the average DCA fan. It could do you guys in someday......

You did see that he's been a member of Kilties also, didn't you? I don't see how your comment is justified.

My comments are as perfectly valid as yours are patently ridiculous.

What response did you hope to elict when you implied that Star United updated their website in order to gain some competetive advantage? Or that the judges would be so incompetent or misguided that they would read our bios, and actually "give" us a score based on our past experience.

(Which I will again make clear, that only a few of us have ever been paid to play, most of the corps is just drum corps folks, like all of you. You can see for yourself at Star United Website)

As far as contempt for the average DCA fan... I have put my time in DCA, if you will look at my signature.

I was even there to give a name to Cozy Baker's all age corps, Miami Valley MIRAGE.

The only contempt I feel is towards people like yourself. By that I mean, those who make it a point to bag on our accomplishments at every turn, to make unfounded assertions about our backgrounds, or to even go so far as to claim that we somehow employ dirty tricks to sway the judging community's decision, or have ulterior motives for doing something nice for people who might like to know more about our group.

At least most the people in your camp took the time at DCA to give us the finger in person, so we could see thier faces as they openly derided our recent success.

But please don't think that I believe that the "average" DCA fan doesn't enjoy what we are doing.

For every finger wagger or obscenity mumbler, (they didn't have the balls to yell it!),

there were countless other really nice people...

...the old guy who has been coming to corps shows since the 50's who made it a point to buy me a beer and talk to me about my corps experience, and just what he enjoyed about our show...

...the group of three music educators, all retired, who stopped me in the parking garage who were totally digging the breath of fresh air (their opinion) that we brought to mini corps...

...and mostly, the other competitors in mini-corps. Guys like Frank, Strutta, and many others who gave us props, buy us adult oriented beverages, and even take the time to stick up for us when we choose not to. You guys are the best!

In short, I again am looking forward to a great time in Rochester with my friends from all over this great circuit.

Making those who like us very happy and taking solace in the idea, that if you are doing something valid, you will always have your detractors.

And yes, I can't speak for all of Star United, but I personally relish all of it.

Especially the hate!

:cool:

It DID happen, in mini corps at least. It's up to the judges to determine and reward the type of show the majority of DCA folks want to hear. If that is Star, so be it. I did like Star United's show the year they played Candide and Horkstow Grange and an original opener that was very cool. Although played beautifully, Star's show didn't grab me as much as Mass Brass did last year. Let's hope the judges keep an open mind and ears to gauge the crowd favorite, not their website.

While I agree with most of your comments there is one that is not quite accurate. Judges rewarding what the majority of DCA folks want to hear is not part of the judging criteria. We (Erie TBIRDS) were told several times by the adjudicators that the criteria simply is......."as long as you do...WHAT YOU DO.....better than anybody else..DOES WHAT THEY DO......YOU WIN. Has nothing to do with the fans or what they want to hear.

STAR has been doing that. Wheater you like their show or not they have met the above requirements. Want to beat them.........? Ya just gotta be better at what YOU do........just that simple.

Edited by melligene

To paraphrase our good friend Gene: CLEAN WINS!

Star has been judged the cleanest the last three years and will do all they can to make it a grand slam in 2009. Those of us competing against them would expect nothing less. It's not much more complicated than that from where we stand in Mass Brass.

Star has been judged the cleanest the last three years and will do all they can to make it a grand slam in 2009. Those of us competing against them would expect nothing less. It's not much more complicated than that from where we stand in Mass Brass.

:thumbup: CLEAN WINS........(and I used up a whole bunch of words for no good reason) Basically.......That's It :thumbup: Fans STILL Win......

Edited by melligene

I am in TOTAL aggreement with Strutta........and for those Star haters out there......

YOUR LOSS!!!!!!

Star United has set the bar for the rest of the mini corps circuit. PERIOD!!!!!! They have single handedly made all the rest of the mini corps that much better!!!!

If you don't like them, go get a hot dog while they are on. It will clear more seats for myself and the rest of my corps to sit in!!!!

To Jeff and the members of Star United.......Bring your "A"game..........Mass Brass and the Golden Eagles are gunnin for ya again, and as Strutta says, we wouldn't expect anything less!!!!! AND.......do NOT count out Music City Legend. They were on our tails last year, and I am absolutely positive they are shooting for a top 3 spot this year!!!!

Don't you just LOVE 3 weeks before DCA's????? <$1 and a beer to Jeff Ream!!!>

Edited by FPonzo

To Jeff and the members of Star United.......Bring your "A"game..........Mass Brass and the Golden Eagles are gunnin for ya again, and as Strutta says, we wouldn't expect anything less!!!!! AND.......do NOT count out Music City Legend. They were on our tails last year, and I am absolutely positive they are shooting for a top 3 spot this year!!!!

Don't you just LOVE 3 weeks before DCA's????? <$1 and a beer to Jeff Ream!!!>

Have to agree with Signore Ponzo on this one. If Star's success for the past three years has pushed Mass Brass, the Golden Eagles, and everyone else to work that much harder and to be that much better.... I WIN!!!! Me, the guy in the audience; the guy who just wants to be entertained.

I made it a point several times to say how good STAR is and never said once they should not win, nor did I disrepect any of there players, all I did what point out what was posted on DCP (bio's) and never once tried to take away from any of STAR's win's, either here or any where else. MY OPINION AND ONLY MINE is that no matter how clean they play, and god they do play as clean as any I've ever heard over the last 42yrs in drum corps they just don't do it for me. Do I want someone to beat them, no, I want the best show to win So let me make it perfectly clear that I have an extreme bias towards those I've watched and admired in DCA. AND THE DCA 2009 MINI-CORPS CHAMPION IS------------------------, lets just wait and see I don't think it's been decided yet.