THOUGHTS ON 12-22

Whom did YOZ write for ?????????? :cool:

Andy has composed, written, and arranged for some of the best band programs in the Northeast, as well as being the director and arranger for West Chester University. His music is outstanding at any level. He's also one of the finest clinicians I know.

Additionally, the staff of the Crossmen pretty much destroyed Andy's arrangements in 2006. The original versions were FAR better than what you ultimately heard.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahahahaha

Just went back and Listened to 2006 .

Yoz is no way a step UP form Guidry. :cool:

Where are you getting these facts from. :doh:

Guidry was always the Arranger FOR TEXAS CROSSMEN. :doh:

HIS RESUME in the field of writing music is vast INCLUDING top. BOA groups as well as CIRQUE. :cool:

Whom did YOZ write for ?????????? :tongue:

The joke from '06 was that the pre-season recording is better than the semis recording. . . and from what I've heard about that season, I believe it. The caption head completely watered the music down, eliminated all slurring, told the hornline to tongue-stop, and did any other matter of blatantly wrong things.

Guidry, on the other hand. . . Well, let's just say that I don't think the tons of people on here that have criticized the brass books from the last three years are very misguided. Guidry may write great band music, but he sure as hell doesn't write great drum corps music. Or even good drum corps music. Or even mediocre drum corps music. Or even really passable drum corps music. I actually hate Aaron Guidry's music.

There, I finally said it.

Andy has composed, written, and arranged for some of the best band programs in the Northeast, as well as being the director and arranger for West Chester University. His music is outstanding at any level. He's also one of the finest clinicians I know.

Additionally, the staff of the Crossmen pretty much destroyed Andy's arrangements in 2006. The original versions were FAR better than what you ultimately heard.

BINGO!

The joke from '06 was that the pre-season recording is better than the semis recording. . . and from what I've heard about that season, I believe it. The caption head completely watered the music down, eliminated all slurring, told the hornline to tongue-stop, and did any other matter of blatantly wrong things.

Guidry, on the other hand. . . Well, let's just say that I don't think the tons of people on here that have criticized the brass books from the last three years are very misguided. Guidry may write great band music, but he sure as hell doesn't write great drum corps music. Or even good drum corps music. Or even mediocre drum corps music. Or even really passable drum corps music. I actually hate Aaron Guidry's music.

oh crap we have to split the pot!

This.

In all seriousness, before you pass any judgment on the arranging skills of Andy Yozviak, please do acquire a copy of the '06 preseason CD. You'll find that it's an entirely different horn book.

And as far as Aaron Guidry's writing goes, it is not an exaggeration to say that the parts he composes for the Crossmen hornline are far from idiomatic for brass instruments. I will admit, Guidry is a fine musician and an excellent percussionist, but it often shows that he is no brass musician. Say what you will, but the Crossmen hornline has definitely been on the rise for the past two years. Next year, it's likely they'll only be even better. Maybe it's about time the Crossmen have a horn book capable of showcasing such disciplined, skilled performers...

Interesting, I love Bela Fleck. Same catagory as Metheny, different flavor. Would be a great fit. I'll hopefully get to see him live doing his "Africa" thing this winter.

I saw him in Tucson with Toumani Diabate about 3 months ago... fantastic flippin' show!

I never thought about translating his music to a corps, but yeah that could totally work.

Crossmen: I'd like for the Crossmen to consider not making next year a "melange" year for the brass book. I appreciate what they're going for, but I feel like the charts just try to do too much and the musical idea becomes lost. There's so much potential in Texas, it's crazy . . .

Take the capes off and lighten up things a bit as far as show concepts go . . .how about some jazz fusion charts next year, maybe? Something that Guidry can take advantage of the electronics with and the Crossmen can reclaim a little of that jazz identity they ran with for many years. :cool:

Totally agree. I've really disliked the Crossmen music books the last 3 years. I thought that this year's brass line was improved technically from the '08 one, but I was still very unconvinced by the music.

I hope they make whatever staff or design/approach change they need this winter. I'd love to see Bones back in finals, but they're going to need a much better vehicle than their staff has given them since the move to TX.