How will Madison do in 2010 and 2011?

How will Madison do in 2010 and 2011?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Madison finish in 2010?

• 1st - 3rd
    • 4th - 6th
    • 7th - 9th
    • 10th - 12th
    • 13th - 15th
    • 16th or lower
  2. 2. Where will Madison finish in 2011?

• 1st - 3rd
    • 4th - 6th
    • 7th - 9th
    • 10th - 12th
    • 13th - 15th
    • 16th or lower

Just like every other DCP thread in the history of forever.

QFT

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for proving my point, Jason.

If it makes you feel better, so be it. I have no problem with that. I read your posts about our Corps all the time, very draining if I may say so myself. I recall a post awhile back about you never posting about our Corps ever agian, I am glad you took the high road, obviously still hanging around to call it like you see it. Draining as you are, you are kinda smart when it comes to Drum Corps. I still get a kick out of it when you call a sop a trumpet or you bash the Corps or Alums when we need it. It puts a smile on alot of faces when you post. Keep it up. I just wish you and your Alums would put as much effort into your Corps as you do on here. I was in your old food truck last weekend, getting it ready to be sold. I thought about you. This old Madison Scout Alumni found enough time in his busy schedule, with a wife and 4 kids to clean out your Corps old equiptment to get it ready to be sold. I think I just proved my point right there. We are here for the long haul so you all better get used to it. We love our Corps and when something positive happens we get hyped up, hell when anything happens we get hyped up, its just the way it is. I am glad you are still around and mabye someday we can sit back and drink a cold one while watching our Corps kick some major ### agian. Personally, I cant wait.

Jason

They should make finals next year and the following year. I don't expect them to break to 6 in either year. I would be very pleasantly surprised if they did though. :cool:

I think they'll come in like third next year then they'll score the first-ever 100 in 2011.

I think a lot of it depends on whether or not the staff writes a drum corps show that Madison can perform well in 2010. Because, let's face it, there's no way the Madison Scouts (as a 15th place drum corps) are going to attract members talented enough to perform shows of the caliber of Star's shows from 1990-1993. There's just no way. I don't care if God himself was Madison's new corps director, the majority of people auditioning for drum corps really don't know crap about the activity (except that it's like marching band over the summer), and I'm sure 95% of them have no freaking clue who Jim Prime, Jim Mason, Jeff Lee, Donnie Van Doren, etc. are.

So, given that they're not going to have the talent of a top 6 corps right out the gate, I think the big question is whether or not the show they're given is achievable. Clean, not exciting, is what gets you into finals and up the ranks.

That said, I have no doubt that the people designing this show are fully aware of this and intelligent enough to probably not fall into that trap. It's just one thing I could see interfering with Madison's success.

Edited by TSRTS13

I think a lot of it depends on whether or not the staff writes a drum corps show that Madison can perform well in 2010. Because, let's face it, there's no way the Madison Scouts (as a 15th place drum corps) are going to attract members talented enough to perform shows of the caliber of Star's shows from 1990-1993. There's just no way. I don't care if God himself was Madison's new corps director, the majority of people auditioning for drum corps really don't know crap about the activity (except that it's like marching band over the summer), and I'm sure 95% of them have no freaking clue who Jim Prime, Jim Mason, Jeff Lee, Donnie Van Doren, etc. are.

So, given that they're not going to have the talent of a top 6 corps right out the gate, I think the big question is whether or not the show they're given is achievable. Clean, not exciting, is what gets you into finals and up the ranks.

That said, I have no doubt that the people designing this show are fully aware of this and intelligent enough to probably not fall into that trap. It's just one thing I could see interfering with Madison's success.

I think you're underestimating the draw of talented members to big-named staffs, the ability for knowledgeable staff to shape talent, and how much a competitive show design can make a huge difference. I would also add the underestimation of the support, loyalty, and love the drum corps community has for the Madison. Plus, many knowledgeable veterans switch corps to move up or if they weren't happy with their staff.

This eligible drum corps generation is more wired and informed than ever. I remember in 1998 (only 11 years ago when I marched) how cut off from the world we were with communication (some parents would print off reviews and newspaper clippings of our performances and mail them to us on the road). All these kids have iphones, blackberrys, and access to the web/e-mail on the bus (right after performances) and I'm sure they are quite aware of all the buzz in these forums and the announcements from Madison Scouts News website (with new staff biographies).

But who wouldn't want to be on the ground floor of a break-out year? A return to glory? To say "I marched the year that Madison rose up from the ashes like a mighty phoenix." I think you're kidding yourself if you think "talented" kids won't want to march Scouts because of their previous year. New staff, new year; fresh start.

**I am in no way affiliated with the Madison Scouts (I didn't even march with them). It's just my honest opinion from reading the news and announcements. You're certainly welcome to your opinion. In the end, it doesn't matter. Just fun, speculative debate.**

I think you're underestimating the draw of talented members to big-named staffs, the ability for knowledgeable staff to shape talent, and how much a competitive show design can make a huge difference. I would also add the underestimation of the support, loyalty, and love the drum corps community has for the Madison. Plus, many knowledgeable veterans switch corps to move up or if they weren't happy with their staff.

This eligible drum corps generation is more wired and informed than ever. I remember in 1998 (only 11 years ago when I marched) how cut off from the world we were with communication (some parents would print off reviews and newspaper clippings of our performances and mail them to us on the road). All these kids have iphones, blackberrys, and access to the web/e-mail on the bus (right after performances) and I'm sure they are quite aware of all the buzz in these forums and the announcements from Madison Scouts News website (with new staff biographies).

But who wouldn't want to be on the ground floor of a break-out year? A return to glory? To say "I marched the year that Madison rose up from the ashes like a mighty phoenix." I think you're kidding yourself if you think "talented" kids won't want to march Scouts because of their previous year. New staff, new year; fresh start.

And I think you are kidding yourself if you think a prospective member would choose a corps because they MIGHT have a break out year and squeak back into the Saturday night show, over a corps that consistently places in the top 5.

Out of finals next year. Will squeak in in 2011.

I'm sorry, but I just do not see them not making finals next year... Not with that staff. Yes, it will take some time for the staff to "settle in," but Madison is going to be amazing next year.