Pete Weber new G-men visual designer

Galen

Maybe you just haven't noticed, but with Sal Salas and Don Hill the corps has often pushed as high as 7th and 8th in the rankings. I think the corps is really on the right track, and that the Glassmen administration has done an excellent job of bringing the corps back to the levels of performance they maintained from 1998-2002. Although the competition has gotten stiffer and G-West a little older, the Glassmen are still the Glassmen and they have continued to put out excellent, competitive products. It's just too bad that DCI has felt the need to pigeonhole them into "Glass Place" at finals 05-08.

I think Pete Weber will likely be a very solid addition to an already very solid drum corps.

I agree the staging the past couple of years has been terrible but Weber has been hit or miss, often writing things which can never be cleaned. The concepts and the brass arrangements the last couple of years have been questionable at best but the drill did not help the brass.

Sal is a great guy but not a great coordinator. Several things got on the field that should have been rejected long before they were taught. It is more logical to look at end results not mid season or at the Cornfield open. At the end of the year recently nothing with a single number has been present. The Glass spot is well earned and I think with a couple of people resurging they could easily be below 12

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the staging the past couple of years has been terrible but Weber has been hit or miss, often writing things which can never be cleaned. The concepts and the brass arrangements the last couple of years have been questionable at best but the drill did not help the brass.

Sal is a great guy but not a great coordinator. Several things got on the field that should have been rejected long before they were taught. It is more logical to look at end results not mid season or at the Cornfield open. At the end of the year recently nothing with a single number has been present. The Glass spot is well earned and I think with a couple of people resurging they could easily be below 12

I have never met Sal in person so I will have to take you word that he is a great guy. As far as Sal not being a great coordinator I will let his record speak for it's self with the Glassmen Family. Please do your research on this point.

The "Glass spot" (whatever that is) being well earned I agree 100%. When one talks about the "Glass spot" are you talking about the fact that since the Glassmen made finals for the first time in 93 we have only missed finals twice 1996,2003. By the way Sal was not the Glassmen coordinator these two years. When one talks about the "Glass spot" are you talking about the fact that the Glassmen has finished at the end of the year:

5th three times

8th four times

10th twice

11th five times

12th once

I know for a fact that there are many Drum Corps past and present that would love to be in the "Glass spot" ( whatever that means)

Dean

"In the past 20 years I have yet to listen to one of there shows because I find them incredibly dull and boring" Your words not mine. Are you saying you turn down the audio and just watch the show? If this is the case then by all means voice your feelings. If this is not the case and you are saying that you have not watched a Glassmen show in 20 years. Then how can you say they are incredibly dull and boring with out seeing or listening to a Glassmen Show in 20 years. Your words on this subject ring hollow with me.

Dean

I'm sorry that you misunderstood my post, so let me make it very clear for you...

I have seen almost everyone of the shows since 1989 (one or two years being the exception). I have not liked one of their shows. The design is blah, to say the least. This is my opinion, and if you do not like it, tough, I really don't care. Not every corps is going to appeal with every person. That's just the way it is. Not the kids fault, tnhey perform their butts off. But IMHO, the reason the Glassmen never took it to the next level is because of show design, or lack their of. Again, right or wrong, its only an opinion.

How does that ring, any better?

I'm sorry that you misunderstood my post, so let me make it very clear for you...

I have seen almost everyone of the shows since 1989 (one or two years being the exception). I have not liked one of their shows. The design is blah, to say the least. This is my opinion, and if you do not like it, tough, I really don't care. Not every corps is going to appeal with every person. That's just the way it is. Not the kids fault, tnhey perform their butts off. But IMHO, the reason the Glassmen never took it to the next level is because of show design, or lack their of. Again, right or wrong, its only an opinion.

I am sorry you misunderstood my post, so let me make it very clear to you...

If it is true what you claim that you have seen at least one Glassmen Show you have every right to form an opinion good, bad or ugly. I have absolutely no issue if one does or does not like the Glassmen. The issue I have is one who claims they do not like a Corps show or the Corps proper having never seen their Show or been involved with the Corps.

The ring is still there because I feel your response was very condescending to me. That sir, is my opinion

Dean

It's a funny thing. Until you pointed out that Glassmen have only missed finals in 96 and 03 since their first appearance, I had never even realized that.

Just for reference, Finals appearances since 1993 -

Blue Devils / Cavaliers / SCV / Phantom Regiment / Cadets - 17 (all)

Bluecoats - 16

Glassmen - 15

Carolina Crown - 14

Madison Scouts - 14

Blue Knights - 13

Crossmen - 12

Boston Crusaders - 11

Colts - 8

Mike

If you really dont care then why do you keep egging it on?

It's a funny thing. Until you pointed out that Glassmen have only missed finals in 96 and 03 since their first appearance, I had never even realized that.

Just for reference, Finals appearances since 1993 -

Blue Devils / Cavaliers / SCV / Phantom Regiment / Cadets - 17 (all)

Bluecoats - 16

Glassmen - 15

Carolina Crown - 14

Madison Scouts - 14

Blue Knights - 13

Crossmen - 12

Boston Crusaders - 11

Colts - 8

Mike

Oh wow, I didn't even realize how well Glassmen has done at consistently making finals. Has even out done the Madison Scouts. And as for all you Weber haters, it is true that in the past he has had trouble with staging...but he has since gotten over that problem, as seen with his drill from 2009.

Oh wow, I didn't even realize how well Glassmen has done at consistently making finals. Has even out done the Madison Scouts. And as for all you Weber haters, it is true that in the past he has had trouble with staging...but he has since gotten over that problem, as seen with his drill from 2009.

The Glassmen are great, and deserve to be praised. I really enjoyed seeing them come into prominence. To be fair you really need to look back to 1972 and see how many times they've made finals. They drop down the list a bit, but it's still a great run.

Hey, they beat Star of Indiana though...

...and 27th Lancers...

Very true about Sal..mainly because he hates being the bad guy and will yes people . Great person BUT> Judges the same way too. JMO