Myron Rosander to Phantom Regiment

Kieren

I know Gaines "supposedly" wrote for Spirit and Cavaliers a few years ago, but heard through the grape vine that it wasn't actually him with Spirit's drill.

I believe I've read before that Rosander only draws shapes and transitions, and an "orchestrator" fills in the pieces. Is that true? Is it common?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What years did he write for Madison? Was it just 06?

I see this being a fantastic pickup for Phantom. I can't wait to see what they pull out this year. But I am curious about him writing for Phantom and Mandarins in the same season. Is he going on tour with either? Are there any other drill designers who write for more than one corps? I know Gaines "supposedly" wrote for Spirit and Cavaliers a few years ago, but heard through the grape vine that it wasn't actually him with Spirit's drill.

that would surprise me, because spirits drill that year (the time show) looked very very michael gaines to me ..

Myron wrote drill for both SCV and Seattle cascades the year that cascades made finals, i don't think him writing for PR and mandarins is much an issue ... and apparently, unless scv announces otherwise, pete webber will be writing for both scv and glassmen this year.

I will admit my first reaction was what some have said on here... his drill is very distinct and synonymous with scv. madison 06 was TERRIFIC drill but I could not watch it without thinking it looked like all SCV moves

that being said, the more i think the more excited I get about it. Myron is a smart enough man to know that writing for PR is a big deal, and it needs to look like PR and nobody else, also his style seems to always evolve. To me, Myrons writing seems to look very different at different periods of time (80's, to early 90's, to late 90's to early 00's to more recent) so I think his writing will continue to evolve and maybe not be so close to that 'look' that scv has tied to them and turn into something more identifiable with PR.

I think this is great news

I believe I've read before that Rosander only draws shapes and transitions, and an "orchestrator" fills in the pieces. Is that true? Is it common?

Speaking from a design standpoint-I have written music for some marching band shows that Mr. Rosander has done-but he does not simply write shapes and transitions. He sends the drill and it gets taught.

That's been my experience working with him.

Plus, he's a helluva nice guy.

Sounds more like Tony Hall. Can't wait to see what Phantom has to offer this summer. As far as others' concerns that the drill will look too SCV, the fact that he will work closely with Dwight Emmert and Tony Hall eases my mind. These two have been behind Regiment's marching program long enough. What a great trio they will be.

This is in no means meant to slight Mr. Rosander, but I have to wonder what Myron's capacity will be with the corps, considering his position with the Mandarins, but more-so considering his past health condition. For his own health, I wouldn't be surprised if he weren't with either corps for the entirety of tour. If he is, then more power to him! I know he is a great man and I'm positive he will do a fascinating job with both corps.

Way to go Regiment!

Edited by euphononium

The way I see it....most of these guys are writing for dozens of high school bands each year. I dont think writing for 2 corps will kill them

I believe I've read before that Rosander only draws shapes and transitions, and an "orchestrator" fills in the pieces. Is that true?

No, he also does big squggly follow-the-leader lines.

Myron wrote drill for both SCV and Seattle cascades the year that cascades made finals, i don't think him writing for PR and mandarins is much an issue ...

Yes....and he was supposed to do the same in 2003 (along with other groups), but failed to deliver. Cascades had to hire Marc Sylvester to write the rest of the drill on short notice, cobble that together with the Rosander portion, and limp to a 15th-place finish despite an improved drumline.

are you referring to his suggestion to use youtube to see illegal videos of his work? :rolleyes:

I didn't see that one , just using it to confirm the vaque original post which would have a elicited a " where did you hear that one"