Madisons Staff...

The one thing I am absolutely certain of: it has been far, far too long since I've heard some of Jimmer's wonderful charts performed by a DVD hornline and I'm really looking forward to that.

The rest will probably work itself out eventually.

Cheers, and TGIF!

Karen

You and me both! Jim is my favorite composer/arranger for the drum corps medium. He is my hero! :tongue:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cash only served to ensure that they could get down the road without problems, had a great design, and that members could know that they were with a stable group.

It still boiled down to the corps, not the money.

I am not saying it was just the money Star was a great corps

but

if you dont have the cash to get down road you cant compete..

I also am not trying to say scouts have no money ..I am sure they are fine !

I am not saying it was just the money Star was a great corps

but

if you dont have the cash to get down road you cant compete..

I also am not trying to say scouts have no money ..I am sure they are fine !

That's fine. :tongue:

Just remember that some people would jeer that organisation because they had the good fortune of a great financial foundation in the beginning.

I just wanted to point out that it wasn't "just the money". :worthy:

I gotta disagree with you. It was definitely more competitive back then. Star made finals with hard work, a full corps, and great design and know how. The battle for finals these days boils down to knowing who is going to be in after the first regional. That's not really competition to me. :tongue:

Correct after a month of season is gone, the top 12 is probably 80% sewed up.

And as I've already posted......you don't have to wait until 2011 to get your answer. Jim Mason and Crew have already had a very positive effect upon drawing talent to the Scouts.

*****Since the announcements of Jim Mason and subsequent staff, the Madison Scouts are enjoying historical retention rates! AND, as it has already been reported, there are some individuals who had been planning on auditioning elsewhere for 2010 that have now decided to audition with the Scouts.*****

I guess you need to ask yourself......Is this by accident?........Or, is there something else at work here? (Hint, Scouts are in the infancy of something great!.....Time to get on board!)

Not to discount, but seriously: we've never heard ANYTHING like that from any corps this time of year right? No corps takes up bandwidth to announce record retention, higher-than-ever turn outs, and unparalleled talent auditioning for the new season.

I personally know of one Scout vet not planning on returning. Sure, it might be the minority, and I'm sure there will be someone there to take his place. And I admit that I'm generally a pessimist about everything (and one who obviously likes to argue). I think that internet hype in October does not equal the second coming of Madison greatness.

I still have reservations in regards to design/instructional staffers committed to many corps. I know that it is fairly commonplace, but all it does is homogenize the activity even more. I'm excited to see Jim Prime return to World Class DCI arranging, and I'm sure if anyone can get Madison back on track it will be Jim Mason. But so many of the other staff members are all over the place in DCI World Class

Not to discount, but seriously: we've never heard ANYTHING like that from any corps this time of year right? No corps takes up bandwidth to announce record retention, higher-than-ever turn outs, and unparalleled talent auditioning for the new season.

I personally know of one Scout vet not planning on returning. Sure, it might be the minority, and I'm sure there will be someone there to take his place. And I admit that I'm generally a pessimist about everything (and one who obviously likes to argue). I think that internet hype in October does not equal the second coming of Madison greatness.

I still have reservations in regards to design/instructional staffers committed to many corps. I know that it is fairly commonplace, but all it does is homogenize the activity even more. I'm excited to see Jim Prime return to World Class DCI arranging, and I'm sure if anyone can get Madison back on track it will be Jim Mason. But so many of the other staff members are all over the place in DCI World Class

Sure, you're free to call it hype and you're also free to believe the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese. Hype is for those that have nothing else to offer. I disdain hype! I choose to travel in the world of fact.

Let's assume that your statement is correct and that "we've never heard ANYTHING like that from any corps this time of year.....RIGHT????".........I have a profound question for you.....So What?

Even if your assertion were true, how would it invalidate a corps or someone who's in the "know" to ever announce such information? I guess because it's never been done (according to your assertion and version of logic), this means it can't ever happen, right?........You need to perfect that angle of reason a little further.

Guess what?......The person that started this thread asked the questions and I supplied some answer's.......No hype......Just straight forward answer's. The better angle is to challenge if you wish, my assertions as fact. If you need further validation, PM me.

Sometimes people will not accept the facts as presented no matter the weight or substance. These individuals are usually led by emotion and live in the world of the "knee jerk"......You wouldn't be one of them, would you?

Sorry to report the news, and oh, by the way........Sorry for taking up critical "bandwidth".

Edited by Mad75

OYE VEY!!!!!

It's getting chippy in here. I guess I'll just go with my own set of "facts" as I know them.

Jim Mason = Winner

Jim Prime = Winner

DVD = Winner

Rest of the staff = Winners

Madison Scouts = 2 time Winner

Will 2010 = WIN?

I believe so. I'm sure there will be growing pains, adjustments to new techniques, staff to member personality clashes and maybe even a Scout or two who have a nervous breakdown because they are verbally beaten with honesty as to the amount of SUCK they bring to the field up until mid season.

Will they be better men for it? I believe so. Will the corps markedly improve in performance, show design, crowd appeal and placement? I have faith the answer will be clearly yes. Will they be top 6? Who cares. Will they be trademark Madison? THEY BETTER BE!

Lastly, and most importantly, I look for a much improved selection at the souvie booth. I was prepared to spend a bunch of money there this year and only walked away with a couple of alumni items. I'm hoping someone in the front office will show some design creativity in this department!!!!!

Sure, you're free to call it hype and you're also free to believe the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese. Hype is for those that have nothing else to offer. I disdain hype! I choose to travel in the world of fact.

Let's assume that your statement is correct and that "we've never heard ANYTHING like that from any corps this time of year.....RIGHT????".........I have a profound question for you.....So What?

Even if your assertion were true, how would it invalidate a corps or someone who's in the "know" to ever announce such information? I guess because it's never been done (according to your assertion and version of logic), this means it can't ever happen, right?........You need to perfect that angle of reason a little further.

Guess what?......The person that started this thread asked the questions and I supplied some answer's.......No hype......Just straight forward answer's. The better angle is to challenge if you wish, my assertions as fact. If you need further validation, PM me.

Sometimes people will not accept the facts as presented no matter the weight or substance. These individuals are usually led by emotion and live in the world of the "knee jerk"......You wouldn't be one of them, would you?

Sorry to report the news, and oh, by the way........Sorry for taking up critical "bandwidth".

Meh...hate to break it to you, but yes, every time someone speaks of amazing excitement, excellent retention rate, etc... it's somebody 'in the know' as you put it, so your information is nothing special really. Yes, there is a little something more with madison this year, and I wont try and deny that, but when it comes to dcp, people just dont really care all that much how good a corps is supposed to be in october, because time and time again, it doesnt matter. I havent seen a single thread on the blue knights in over a month, yet they could well beat madison by 2 points at finals (or semis)...we just dont know. Though you are right to say that just because it hasnt been done, doesnt mean it won't be done, it's still october....no show announcements, no camps, no audition numbers, no show schedules...nadda. If we believed everything we read on dcp in october, well intentioned or not - true or not - then we'd all go into the season expecting a 22 way tie for 1st place. No thanks.

Madison Scouts = 2 time Winner

I'm not sure how much this factors into their competitive success anymore. I guess you could say that once any organization has been to the top they want to get back but name me 1 person who was with the Madison Scouts in 1988 who is still involved with the corps in a deep meaningful way on either the design, instructional or administrative side. I'm not trying to be snarky on that question. I really do want to know. The win in 1988 for the Madison Scouts (and I'm not taking it away from them) was a generation ago now. 22 seasons. And since, the Scouts have, especially lately, not exactly been a factor on the competitive side.

The DCP Universe IS pretty whacked, especially in the prediction department. For example, last winter (and even into late spring) most of the Know-it-alls on here predicted that Boston would finish between 11th and 14th....just based on their usual LACK of hype..a far cry from the 7th place they actually ended up with. It is a disservice to the Madison members to predict anything more than the fact that they will have an improved program...which they certainly will... Over hype does NOT help the drum corps.

Edited by craiga