DCA Championship Bids

Of those 3, PBTS is probably the best option because it's not a college stadium.

Best bet is to find some sort of muni stadium or publically-owned one instead of a college one.

Rubber Bowl in Akron could also work since the university's not using it any more.

Here's an aerial shot of the Rubber Bowl:

Rubber_Bowl_-_Akron_Ohio.jpg

And, while we're at it, here's Stambaugh Stadium at Youngstown State University:

Stambaugh_Stadium.jpg

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd vote for University at Buffalo... hey, it is farther west! :thumbup:

Not in the ghetto, hotels, food, stuff, Buffalo airport is pretty easy to fly into, 10 minute drive for me :)

I went to Montreal a long time ago with my family and chances are someone had some Sabres stuff on, and we made it out alive.

I went to Montreal a long time ago with my family and chances are someone had some Sabres stuff on, and we made it out alive.

The enemy of your enemy is your friend! :thumbup:

I like a lot of stadiums being posted here, but if we look at it realistically, do we really need to go into a stadium that seats 10 or 12 thousand on the front side? From a performer perspective, I could see going into a huge stadium and eventhough there may be as many people as at Paetec Park (or whatever it is now) I would feel like there weren't as many people in there.

This is hard to really know without having realistic attendance numbers for championships. Someone earlier in this thread said possibly 4-5 thousand. If that is true, was there ever consideration give to Fauver Stadium on the University of Rochester campus? I can't tell from photos if it is seats or benches, but the front side seating holds 5200.

I'd vote for University at Buffalo... hey, it is farther west! :thumbup:

Not in the ghetto, hotels, food, stuff, Buffalo airport is pretty easy to fly into, 10 minute drive for me :)

UBuffalo could work- they've held DCI shows here in the past, it's a sizable stadium and there are all of the necessary facilities (ie hotels, airport, convention center, bars, etc) that fans will need:

campus_athletics.jpg

Paul Brown Tiger Stadium, Massillon, Ohio:

Pbts2.jpg

What I love about this stadium is this is a high School football stadium. I believe it seats 20,000 if not more by now.. My friend use to go there. Her Parents are. "season ticket holders" still. They sell out most if not every game.. Not just homecoming like some places..

Also those thinking about RU. Probably will never happens RU football team has gotten better They start very close to the time of DCA's if not before and the money they have dumped into the stadium for the FB team. Just isn't going to happen. I don't even think RU band gets to use it for anything. Also those that live in the area. although they fixed some of the highways Traffic can be a pain in the arse. Yes there are some hotels close by One is the center of New Brunswick but Parking not so lovely. As much as I would love it could hold after parties at my house by the pool but just don't it would happen.

But hey someone put in a bid. you never know a dollar and a dream.

Edited by Bond624

exactly. you have PA people who dont go to NY for finals. you have NY people who dont go to PA for finals.

imagine if 75% of both groups didnt trvael to say Nashville for finals. Is the local market that familiar with DCA to pay finals ticket prices to come out and support?

the problem here is if the local market isnt ready, the corps lose out. Winston Salem, totally unfamiliar with DCA, had 3000 or so folks show up...at $40 a head. Now...how many of us trvaelled down there to see the show? Had to be a few hundred. Now, how many people from upstate NY would go for finals? Not enough to make up for how many of them go to Rochester, and Winston Salem didnt show they were prepared to pick up that slack.

I'm all for moving finals out of the traditional base of operations...when it makes sense. What out of NE region show...DCA only...has drawn more than 4000 fans to a show? 3000 other than the NC show? 2000?

we hear all this talk about moving it, but no one EVER puts up the stats to show they have the fan base built up enough to replace those from up here that won't go.

so...since no one ever offers the proof why they should have it......wonder why you dont see a lot of bids from folks asking for it?

Jeff brings up some really great points and is a superb example why we all need to work on putting together a BIG regional outside of the NE. Illinois, Indiana or Ohio would be a great place to start since we know it is a drum corps friendly region and allow us to dip our collective toes into the water to see if DCA can attract larger audiences outside of the NE. If the turnout is good then DCA Championships can then be realistically considered to be held elsewhere. Might even hold multiple regionals for a couple years first to make sure a single trial year isn't a fluke.

Edited by Hulka

Folsom Field in Boulder, Co is available on labor day weekend :thumbup:

The CU vs CSU football game is being held at Invesco Field for the next 10 years.

folsom.jpg

And talk about great views.

0060.jpg

Now THAT is one of the best backdrops for a corps show!

Right up there with Santa Barbara City College

sbcc.jpg