Randy Nelson with Colts

Once again, I trust Greg Orwell.

Period.

I trusted him with my son's well-being this past season, and he literally had the summer of his life.

I will trust him with my son's well-being this coming summer as well.

Edited by Getintoyourcolor

If you can publically do this then publically take the heat

Fair enough. :devil:

Mods,

Please close this thread. I knew about the news article, however it was not needed to be posted on here. IT could have been posted last year as to why he may or may not have been with Spirit anymore, but it wasnt.. posting that; Thats just a low blow. :devil:

It was posted on DCP last year and discussed.

First: For those who clamor and feel that this message will be closed--chill--this is a legitimate post. The sensors would be wise to keep it open.

Second: I agree that we all should not jump to conclusions. But with the limited information we have and how this matter was resolved there are questions that have to be asked. (Please do not attack, but some things I say may not be politically correct)

1. This incident occurred between 3:30 and before 4:00 p.m. on a school day on October 30, 2008.

2. According to the school website as of this year the last period ends just before 2:00 p.m. (I am assuming the same schedule was similar for last year).

3. According to Mapquest--the distance from the high school to the park the incident occurred is just a few minutes over an hour drive.

4. What is a band director doing in a park an hour away during the fall marching season?

5. If you look at the third poster who provided a link to the arrest there is a sub link to the arrest report. The arrest report details what occurred. As one poster mentioned that it is possible that Nelson was urinating. This is debunked by the report.

6. Why was vice at the park--based on reports it was due to complaints by the public.

7. One poster who mentioned that Nelson was "parading around like a peacock" after a particular WGI event makes one wonder as to his preferences.

8. The police report and the article mention that the UC (Undercover Cop) and Nelson engaged in a discussion before the vents took place. I surmise that the complaints were of a nature that homosexual activity was taking place in the park and to curtail it folks spoke up, a UC operation was implemented, and Nelson got stung.

9. I was perplexed by a comment made by the Principal at Choctawatchee High in the article in which she stated that Nelson was a part of the band program, but Chad Hannah, the Asst. band director, was a "big" part of the program. (Is this downplaying Nelson's accomplishments or is it something that we need to read between the lines.)

10. Nelson pled "Nolo Contendre" No Contest. He does not contest the facts. This would mean that the facts are true. It is my impression that he and the UC engaged in some discussion about an anticipated sexual liaison and Nelson did something to move the events to fruition until he was busted.

11. As a parent I recently dealt with a situation in which a person was taking pictures of members of my adolescent soccer team. (Taking pictures is not a crime-but no one knew the guy). A further investigation into who this man was revealed that this person was a registered sex offender. For those who question the Colts in hiring this gent they have a legitimate concern.

12. Colts--Greg Orwoll, in particular, you need to do a full scale investigation (Not a cursory review) as to whether you want this person on your team. If the school(s) he has taught at, the corps' he has been employed, have nothing negative about him and this was something he did on his own to fulfill his desires WITH ANOTHER ADULT MALE then you should have nothing to fear. (Remember--you have that pending law suit with the kid's parents who are suing the corps for harboring a runaway. This re could really put the CORPS into dire straights.)

First: For those who clamor and feel that this message will be closed--chill--this is a legitimate post. The sensors would be wise to keep it open.

Second: I agree that we all should not jump to conclusions. But with the limited information we have and how this matter was resolved there are questions that have to be asked. (Please do not attack, but some things I say may not be politically correct)

1. This incident occurred between 3:30 and before 4:00 p.m. on a school day on October 30, 2008.

2. According to the school website as of this year the last period ends just before 2:00 p.m. (I am assuming the same schedule was similar for last year).

3. According to Mapquest--the distance from the high school to the park the incident occurred is just a few minutes over an hour drive.

4. What is a band director doing in a park an hour away during the fall marching season?

You use 1-3 to make your judgment in 4. Who cares what he's doing after school, on his own time? Items 1-3 have nothing to do with your logic. But wait...you're not jumping to conclusions! My bad..

5. If you look at the third poster who provided a link to the arrest there is a sub link to the arrest report. The arrest report details what occurred. As one poster mentioned that it is possible that Nelson was urinating. This is debunked by the report.

I was that poster, who suggested urination. I also read that report before I posted. The report said "not observed." I even said Nelson may have gotten stage fright. The entire thing in question is Nelson's intent. Nelson disagreed with the officer's observation of intent, and frankly, Nelson's story...WHATEVER IT IS...AND WE DON'T KNOW, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER, B/C: is equally as plausible as the officer's at this point in the legal process. (Burden of proof is on the officer, and he didn't do very well.)

Again, you're not doing a very good job of "not jumping to conclusions."

6. Why was vice at the park--based on reports it was due to complaints by the public.

7. One poster who mentioned that Nelson was "parading around like a peacock" after a particular WGI event makes one wonder as to his preferences.

8. The police report and the article mention that the UC (Undercover Cop) and Nelson engaged in a discussion before the vents took place. I surmise that the complaints were of a nature that homosexual activity was taking place in the park and to curtail it folks spoke up, a UC operation was implemented, and Nelson got stung.

Wow. You're really off the rails now, but we can see your prejudices clearly. Thank you for that, at least (being clear). First of all, you're taking another's (biased) word on an observation (ie,prancing), and then actually assigning negative meaning to it yourself, when it doesn't mean a thing in this case whatsoever. Even if 20 people were caught literally breaking the law over the past 20 straight days by the same UC in the same park, and all "pranced" previously in someone else's view, and all plead GUILTY, it does NOT matter in Nelson's unique case. The report never connected him to any previous group of people nor crime. And Nelson is still entitled to his own Due Process.

9. I was perplexed by a comment made by the Principal at Choctawatchee High in the article in which she stated that Nelson was a part of the band program, but Chad Hannah, the Asst. band director, was a "big" part of the program. (Is this downplaying Nelson's accomplishments or is it something that we need to read between the lines.)

Absolutely meaningless. What exactly is your point on this? Of course the admin had to put on a happy face, and prop up the assistant. That is smart management, and has no bearing (judgment in your case) on Nelson. Even if Nelson was COMPLETELY INEPT in his job, so what? What did you expect the admin to say? "Wow, thankfully Nelson is a perv, so he can be replaced by this sweet assistant!"

10. Nelson pled "Nolo Contendre" No Contest. He does not contest the facts. This would mean that the facts are true. It is my impression that he and the UC engaged in some discussion about an anticipated sexual liaison and Nelson did something to move the events to fruition until he was busted.

What r u talkin about? You're the one who read the report!! Did the UC mention any conversation? Only that Nelson said "My name is Steve." You're completely fabricating this. Which isn't surprising since you're completely biased, all the way from the beginning. Don't you think if the conversation was strong and incriminating that the UC would've documented all of it? And maybe even worn a wire (if such conversations were admissable in FL)?

I can't even take 11 or 12, I'm done.

Just WOW.

Unbelievable that there are people on her defending this kind of behavior. Every month there are men all over this country getting arrested in parks and public restrooms doing exactly what this guy was doing, trolling for a quick, anonymous sex. It is illegal and deviant. Obviously, this was a problem in this park, people complained and the police were staking the park out in an effort to combat said problem. Nelson was caught, pleaded no contest as he had no defense, took his medicine and moved on. He will never teach in a public school again (I hope) and he should not be teaching drum corps or color guards. Imagine the undercover cop was a woman - Nelson, today, would be a registered sex offender. In my book he got off easy.

I don't see anyone defending any "kind of behavior." I see people saying that we, who are not directly involved and have no first hand knowledge, shouldn't be passing judgment. Apparently, some of you have no problem making a judgment without all the evidence. I hope you never serve on a jury where you can do real harm.

Knowing Mr. Nelson personally, he is one of the most professional, creative, well respected, and fun people I know. He worked at Choctawhatchee High School for over 25 years. I bet almost every student who went through his band program can attest to his compassion for teaching young minds and above all his professionalism with his students, which is obvious if you’ve ever seen any program from “Choctaw”…the State Champion Marching Band, the world class winterguard, the world class indoor drumline, or the amazing symphonic bands Mr. Nelson put out year after year after year. I have seen Mr. Nelson in action, and at no time was he ever disrespectful, demeaning or sexually harassing to any of his students in anyway. A little demanding, sure, but what great program doesn’t demand excellence from their students. Above all Mr. Nelson is one of the BEST educators I have EVER had the privilege of knowing, and I would trust him to teach my child anyday!

Regarding his resignation; if you spent 26 years building a program from the ground up to the level of success the Choctaw band program has, would you want to see it all thrown away and crumble because you wanted that 80,000 dollar paycheck or would you step down because it was for the betterment of the program you’ve almost put your ENTIRE LIFE into? Maybe Mr. Nelson knew he could survive off of his designing business and was thinking of his kids first?! I’ve even heard that his principal and superintendent asked him NOT to resign but he did not want to tarnish the program. If that doesn’t make you think he has character and integrity then nothing probably will.

Congratulations Mr. Nelson and congratulations to the Colts for hiring such a wonderful individual. Looking forward to 2010!