DCI Article addressing sound issues

Corps Scoring (music writing; not points)  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that corps rethinking their musical scoring will create better acoustic sound in LOS?

• Yes
    • No

Is Larry Rock still involved with DCI recordings?

Seems like he might be able to suggest a thing or two . . .if I'm not mistaken, he did a lot of the Audio Collectors Series CDs.

Yes. On the back of the 2009 DCI CD's it says "CD's Mastered by Larry Rock".

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. This is called "Common sense".

In every musical performance on earth in any genre, you perform to your venue.

Thats why my band used to have a different sound scheme if we played in a coffee house vs playing in a 2000 seat venue.

And i hate to burst any bubbles, but drum corps have been focused on the finals venue for years.

You dont plan your show around the stadium thats 4 rows high with a press box thats 10ft up. You prepare for the "Big Dance".

. . .what great luck that we picked a place that's an acoustic toilet for the next nine years, then. :worthy:

Your giving it too much credit. I watched the Colts game Sunday and I swear to God that I heard the last note of the Blue Devils still bouncing around in there. Talk about picking a place were the music never dies........

Edited by 84skyrydr

Thats why my band used to have a different sound scheme if we played in a coffee house vs playing in a 2000 seat venue.

And i hate to burst any bubbles, but drum corps have been focused on the finals venue for years.

You dont plan your show around the stadium thats 4 rows high with a press box thats 10ft up. You prepare for the "Big Dance".

LOL, don't remember any 10ft high stands even in my small Sr corps circuit days in places like Frackville and Danville, PA. But did do a standstill in an almost empty concert hockey arena (we played while people entered). Bet that beats LOS as a echo chamber.

Wasn't at LOS but complains I heard was echoing in the higher seats. Can someone tell me seriously how corps could work around that. Interested becaue we played in the SuperDome at AL Nationals in 1978 and the only way not to have an echo effect was not to play.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

This is true. I've been in vocal and instrumental groups all my life and you do adjust TO THE EXTENT YOU CAN. Howver when a hall is as bad as Lucas Oil there's only so much you can do. The corps are still going to sound like they're playing in a barn.

But hey it's Indiana what else would you expect. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Edited by shawn craig

You know, we did have DCI finals in an echo chamber prior to LOS (i.e. Olympic Stadium, Montreal, 1981/1982)....and SCV/BD sure didn't skimp on notes those years.

This whole business about "writing for the finals venue" is overblown, too. Aside from the occasional use of a stadium tunnel at either end of a performance, most other memorable effects enjoyed at a DCI finals were written to be effective in any large venue.

Fact is, 95% of DCI events take place in outdoor venues. Judges and staffs have had to cope with the occasional indoor echo chamber for over a decade now, and they have done so without shows being rewritten for that purpose. LOS doesn't change that game. In the end, DCI is going to have to put the judges in one of LOS's acoustic sweet spots....and when they do, the same effects they went for outdoors will score the same points indoors. The judge/instructor community will have it no other way.

I was at Montreal......yep, some significant echo/reverb.....did the stadium sound as bad as Lucas......not even remotely.........at Lucas, even if they manage to find a spot for the judges which isn't too bad (good luck), what about the fans paying big money and the sound is awful? Do they really expect them to keep coming back to Lucas for the next 9 years??

I guess they do..................we'll see........

GB

I dont think anybody (and this includes myself), is trying to tell you that they cant do it better. From DCI's standpoint with the stadium, and the corps standpoint with their electronic setup....things can be done better. I guess the question is how much more better can it be, and will it be more better enough to please people (yes, bad grammar is intentional...)

The other sticking point is that corps should change their approach depending on the venue, because that is what 'professional' groups do. Maybe I am 'old fashioned' at 5 days short of 25 years old, but i just cant see this happening, nor do i want it too. Corps are trained to be consistent to an almost ridiculous level. The 8-10 best shows I ever marched as a part of an ensemble, on the tail end of the 05 season, are a blur to me, because NOTHING stood out. Literally, it almost felt still on the field sometimes because things were that consistent....that good. Changing volume levels (which is just one of many aspects that would need to be focused on) takes time...to get everyone on the same page, eliminate stickouts, etc. We spent the entire summer working on that as it was, I cant imagine trying to change it back and forth. The level of precision demanded by the dudes down on the field just doesnt allow for that. This doesnt even touch the fact that to really get that 'subdued' sound that a corps like scv had for most of their show, you have to actually adjust the scoring / ranges, not just volume levels, which would be a complete waste of time / to change back and forth if you ask me. Id much rather have corps focus on the usual things like, you know, being clean, being loud, and maybe if theyre lucky, fixing their show so it makes sense.

You hit the nail right on the head Nick. The people that are posting that you should be able to change or adapt your show to meet the needs of the venue, have obviously never marched Drum Corps. They don't understand what it takes to be consistent, and strive to march that perfect show.

Edited by sbird32