Ban synths or bail on Lucas

Synths or Lucas - which goes?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Would DCI make more of it's current fans happier by repealing the rules allowing the use of synthesizers or by moving the world championships out of Lucas Oil Stadium?

• Ban synths
    • Bail on Lucas Oil Stadium

As far as synths go, has anyone considered the idea that corps might just fizzle out from using them? It seems like (relatively) a lot of corps used narration in 2005, but even as soon as 2008 the only corps I remember using them was Cadets. It could just be this past summer's popular thing to do. Maybe next year a lot of corps will decide that they don't need a synthesizer to produce a winning show. Even though Cadets used narration to tie for highest score ever in '05, a lot of corps that did use them in '05 didn't repeat with it in '06. I think.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for a revolving championship.

Year A: Southeast (Nashville, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, Raleigh, Miami)

Year B: Northeast (Boston, New York, Baltimore, DC)

Year C: Midwest (Chicago, Indianapolis, Kansas City)

Year D: Southwest (Texas, VEGAS!)

Year E: West (California, Seattle, Portland)

Something like that. As long as everybody gets the love (I'm looking at you, west coast).

I didn't go to Lucas Oil and probably won't ever except for performing.

I did go to several shows over the summer and watch many webcasts. The loud ### rumbling and weird noise coming through the speakers at the quarter finals broadcast was much worse than the echo but I wasn't there live (and as I said probably won't anytime soon/ever).

So no doubt I have to vote for getting rid of synths.

As far as synths go, has anyone considered the idea that corps might just fizzle out from using them? It seems like (relatively) a lot of corps used narration in 2005, but even as soon as 2008 the only corps I remember using them was Cadets. It could just be this past summer's popular thing to do. Maybe next year a lot of corps will decide that they don't need a synthesizer to produce a winning show. Even though Cadets used narration to tie for highest score ever in '05, a lot of corps that did use them in '05 didn't repeat with it in '06. I think.

no. synths can do a lot more than just spoken word. they'll be here for a while

Would DCI make more of it's current fans happier by repealing the rules allowing the use of synthesizers or by moving the world championships out of Lucas Oil Stadium? Please pick one, not both.

That's easy... bailing on LOS would improve one show (finals), while banning synths would improve ALL shows.

That's easy... bailing on LOS would improve one show (finals), while banning synths would improve ALL shows.

Funny how people think the use of synths is DCI's fault........yes DCI is allowing synths so you can say they are at fault....but the reality is this......the rule does NOT state that corps HAVE to use synths.......the rule allows the use of synths........the actual corps are making the choice to use synths as part of their design, just as they decide what acoustic instruments will be used.......you are allowed to have a cymbal line but many choice not too......the same thing can be said about synths.......it is the individual corps choice.

Banning things isn't really the answer........not liking synths is a personal preference of some, but it shouldn't be banned.........My preference is that I don't like dirty snare lines or brass sections that are out of tune.......so should we ban those from specific corps?

Edited by dbg

Banning things isn't really the answer........not liking synths is a personal preference of some, but it shouldn't be banned.........My preference is that I don't like dirty snare lines or brass sections that are out of tune.......so should we ban those from specific corps?

Yes :thumbdown:

Dirty snarelines and out of tune brass sections are hereby banned. In fact, IF a corps uses them, they will receive a penalty in points or fractions thereof, relative to the amount of dirt, or out of tune-ness in those sections. As an experimental procedure, we will call this process, "judging". Im not sure how it will work, but I think we may be on to something...

Yes :worthy:

Dirty snarelines and out of tune brass sections are hereby banned. In fact, IF a corps uses them, they will receive a penalty in points or fractions thereof, relative to the amount of dirt, or out of tune-ness in those sections. As an experimental procedure, we will call this process, "judging". Im not sure how it will work, but I think we may be on to something...

:thumbdown:

Funny how people think the use of synths is DCI's fault........yes DCI is allowing synths so you can say they are at fault....but the reality is this......the rule does NOT state that corps HAVE to use synths.......the rule allows the use of synths........the actual corps are making the choice to use synths as part of their design, just as they decide what acoustic instruments will be used.......you are allowed to have a cymbal line but many choice not too......the same thing can be said about synths.......it is the individual corps choice.

no one had to have a pit either.

no one had to use Bb either

no one had to plug in either

what was the Fiedler line about competing with one arm tied behind your back?

http://drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?id=790

The use of electronics has had both a profound and polarizing effect on drum corps since amplification was first permitted by Drum Corps International in 2004. And legalizing electronic instruments this summer has further turned up the volume on the great electronics debate.

Some of the top drum corps designers support further electronic exploration to move the activity forward -- similar to the introduction of keyboard instruments or B-flat horns -- while providing new educational opportunities to young people who already use electronics in their musical performance activities. Electronic effects have been legal in the top competitive high school marching band circuits for years.

"Well, it just gives us a bunch of different textures and voices we couldn't use before," said DCI Hall of Famer Michael Cesario, program consultant for the Colts. "The other pageantry activities have been using them for awhile. I don't think they use them all that well. I think there are all kinds of stuff that is yet to be discovered. Boy, are they going to be mad when they hear that. I think there are things that we can bring to the use of those [electronics] that other people haven't thought about yet."

Heh.

O RLY?