Ban synths or bail on Lucas

Synths or Lucas - which goes?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Would DCI make more of it's current fans happier by repealing the rules allowing the use of synthesizers or by moving the world championships out of Lucas Oil Stadium?

• Ban synths
    • Bail on Lucas Oil Stadium

I just don't get whats wrong with using synths, guitars, strings, woodwinds, etc.

Everywhere else in the MUSICAL WORLD they are acceptable, except for drum corps because the stingy old dinosaurs ##### and whine and moan all the time about them. Many old alumni even claim they will stop supporting DCI financially if these changes keep occurring. That is the most childish thing I've ever heard.

. . .don't really see the major symphony orchestras trotting out the synth too often, though.

Let's also be realistic: are we really going to say that a glorified marching band that cuts up other peoples arrangements (for the most part) is somehow a unique musical genre that deserves to have a full blown orchestra out on the field? Will that somehow give drum corps some sort of legitimacy that it lacks now?

Besides, if we're going that route, I can pay a little more money for tickets to see a stationary orchestra nearby that's a whole lot better and doesn't have to finish up in eleven minutes. :grouphug:

It is what it is: a niche kind of marching band thing that survives because of band kids and "stingy old dinosaurs" that keep paying to see it. Change the formula too much and make it something that's less unique (here comes the "it's about excellence" or "drum corps is what it becomes" argument), and you risk turning off either group. DCI skews to about the 30 year old range fan-wise right now . . .so it needs both groups now to survive.

The stage is set for more change, anyway. Surely with all the indoor arena mess over the next ten years and the slow skew towards "a more perfect marching band union" in Indianapolis with BOA, you'll get your wish in a few years anyway.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get whats wrong with using synths, guitars, strings, woodwinds, etc.

Everywhere else in the MUSICAL WORLD they are acceptable, except for drum corps because the stingy old dinosaurs ##### and whine and moan all the time about them. Many old alumni even claim they will stop supporting DCI financially if these changes keep occurring. That is the most childish thing I've ever heard.

The most childish thing I ever heard was a kid who cries because some old guy won't pay to see a product he doesn't associate with. So some little boy cries, "but what about me. Its all about me". You should pay to see something you really don't like anymore so you can see me play my instrumant you don't like. Just pay or you are a dinosaur, but we still want your money. :tongue::grouphug:

So what bagpipe bands do you know of that use these things?

PS - Lot of ex-members and ex-fans are no longer supporting DCI or the corps. If people don't find the shows entertaining enough a lot of them don't go. If those butts are no longer in the seats then that money isn't coming in. Why spend money on something that you don't enjoy? Oh wait, people should pay because "it's all for the kids" or so they won't be insulted by total strangers. Great way to get respect for your group. :grouphug:

Also let us know in 20-30-40 years how much YOU'RE still supporting Drum Corps if it still exists. Nothing like insulting people who supported corps probably longer than you've been alive.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

yeah, because people should pay to support what they don't like.

sorry that guilt trip's been tried over and over

yeah, because people should pay to support what they don't like.

sorry that guilt trip's been tried over and over

I also want to know who really thinks that 18-22 are just "kids" anymore?

People don’t get it do they?

I no longer care much about synths because I no longer care much about DCI because I no longer care about finals

Good luck bank rolling million dollars corps on mom and dad's back or even funnier still, the kid's back (as we all know how much extra money they have sitting around)

If you don't like the music anymore and particularly dislike the sound of the instrumentation, paying to see that activity would then be beyond dumb. Especially, when there are alternative activities that I do enjoy (DCA) and am very happy to fund through patronage.

With the money that would normally be in DCI hands this year for next years finals, I went to Aruba. Mixed reviews on Aruba but I stand by my choice and would be more likely to drop a few grand going back to Aruba than dropping a few grand going back to the oily echo dome. If I do go back to the Oily Echo dome (a mighty big if) it will be on the cheap – heck, its only a few hours drive, pick up a cheap ticket outside, see the show and back home. Could do it all for $200 tops and in 12 hours

So maybe I should thank DCI for freeing up funds to do other things

Thanks DCI

Thanks for sucking so hard that I care very little about your finals product and can go on more exotic and now more fun vacations

With the money that would normally be in DCI hands this year for next years finals, I went to Aruba. Mixed reviews on Aruba but I stand by my choice and would be more likely to drop a few grand going back to Aruba than dropping a few grand going back to the oily echo dome. If I do go back to the Oily Echo dome (a mighty big if) it will be on the cheap – heck, its only a few hours drive, pick up a cheap ticket outside, see the show and back home. Could do it all for $200 tops and in 12 hours

Plus you can get a nice "Harley-Davidson of Aruba" shirt a few blocks from where the cruise ships dock. :thumbup:

The most childish thing I ever heard was a kid who cries because some old guy won't pay to see a product he doesn't associate with. So some little boy cries, "but what about me. Its all about me". You should pay to see something you really don't like anymore so you can see me play my instrumant you don't like. Just pay or you are a dinosaur, but we still want your money. :doh::thumbup:

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!

Winner!!!!!!

And when you young whippersnappers get to be our age you'll be singing (and paying) the same tune!

So don't forget what you say here today...