Maximum Age Limit?

I know most of the All-Age corps have some sort of minimum age limit that they enforce (i.e., 14 years old to march with a family member, 18 to march on their own), but I was wondering if any corps has an actual maximum age limit? Obviously people have to be physically capable of marching the show, making it through rehearsals, etc. BUT, if someone is say 65, but can still handle the show, are they restricted from marching in any corps?

(Note: Just looking for useful info, not trying to start any flame wars as DCP is famous for).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I was wondering if any corps has an actual maximum age limit? Obviously people have to be physically capable of marching the show, making it through rehearsals, etc. BUT, if someone is say 65, but can still handle the show, are they restricted from marching in any corps?

We don't have one.

We're also welcoming of physically limited members. If somebody can still play their horn and wants to join in, we'll deal with physical limitations as best we can.

I've never heard of any corps putting that kind of restriction on its members. Most drum corps folks are smart enough to know when they can still compete and when it's time to step back a little.

That's why we have Alumni Corps, can't hack the 8-9 hours of practice, look one up, same thrill, same skill, less physical labor. Enjoy the Corps till you drop I say.

This is a digression from the topic but I think it's something worth mentioning.

I was chatting with some folks from the Selden Cadets Alumni Corps at the last Brooklyn United show and inquired, in jest, why, since most of their horn players are reputed to be non-readers, they used music stands. The serious answer that I got was that one of their horn players had neurological issues that prevented him from remembering new music and rather then leave him on the side line or spotlight his infirmity they all elected to use music stands. Nice folks.

The Buccaneers do not have an upper age limit for our members. If you are physically capable of handling the demand then you can participate. Our oldest person last year was 55.

Edited by Loiswt

If you're still breathing, you haven't aged out!

I once asked a DCI kid who fully intended on marching DCA the following year how it felt to age-out. His response? "I'm not ageing out of ANYTHING!".

As long as Tom Meek continues ... this argument is debunked ... he's marched every season since his first in 1967 ... and no pit drill... on horn either baritone or soprano depending on the season... and always in a modern drill... currently with Brigadiers...

It's all up to the individual - depends on if a performer is able to carry his or her own weight or not... hopefully each of us will know when the time arrives to hang it up before some staff member has to tell you.

In the meantime.... you go toot... my hero on the field... Medicare and drum corps do mix....