Maximum Age Limit?

There was at least one corps with a 72yo age limit. I can't seem to search it on here (< 3 characters). And they may not still have said rule with other current rules. But there has been such a thing. Not to imply anyone affected by the rule. But then again, why have a rule if no one is affected? Not that most need a rule, adults are pretty good at weeding themselves out. And other factors, like sun and prescription meds not playing well together.

Hey, CT Hurricanes. How old was Harvey O. Before he stopped marching on Comp. Field?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, CT Hurricanes. How old was Harvey O. Before he stopped marching on Comp. Field?

I was never a Hurc, but I think he was around 80, and that's no ####.

I was never a Hurc, but I think he was around 80, and that's no ####.

Yeah, think 80 something when I marched in the late 70s. Field announcement for the corps usually had the line "Honor Guard led by ## year YOUNG Harvey Olderman".

LOL, knew a guy in his late 60s who was in another corps Honor Guard. His quote was "Yeah... the SOB ages 17 years every decade". :worthy:

harvey passed dec 10th 1985 at age 89, having just completed his 54th consecutive year!.........he was a lat bloomer, but sure made up for it!

:worthy:

IIRC - Harvey was 88 when he last marched DCA with the Hurcs Honor Guard.

A finer gentleman you would never meet. :worthy:

I know that Frank "The Beard" Lozar marched in the hornline with MBI until 2002 or 2003. He was in his mid 70's then..He is still 'marching' with the Zurah Temple Shrine Drum Corps here in Minneapolis during the summer, while being a snowbird in Phoenix during the winter..He's pushing 80 now, and continues his 62 year consecutive streak of playing/marching in drum corps..Like Harvey, a finer gentleman will be hard to find..

Pat

I was lucky enough to march with Art Kurth a.k.a. "Chicago Art" in both the Boys of 76 and the Kilties. He marched every year starting in 1948 when he first joined the Ardennes Post 895 Belgium American Legion Post Drum and Bugle Corps in Chicago. Art passed away in 2000. Art aged out of the Cavaliers, and marched in lots of Senior corps including (but not limited to) Skokie Indians, Winfield Scott Rebels, Zientek Diplomats, Kenosha Kingsmen, Commonwealth Edison, Men of Brass, Boys of 76, Des Plaines Vanguard and he finished his career with the Kilties having marched 52 consecutive years. If not for his untimely death, Art would be entering his 8th decade of drum corps this season.

Paul "Skinny" Mordorski wrote a great article about Art for Drum Corps World a while back. Check it out here:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?ID=718

Edited by J.C.