Maximum Age Limit?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbdown::worthy: :worthy:

How prophetic those words were for him. And a few of our other fallen brothers and sisters.

Lothar at Kilties in 05 comes to mind (RIP, Joel). I remember Bob Tubes at Empire in 87...in his mid 60s at the time, I think.

I definitely like that group that provided stands for that one member. I wanted to do something in En Garde (might still do it) that would allow people who wanted to be on the field, but couldn't really march...take a group of them in a block and have them wander around the field, playing from set places throughout the show. Gets them on the field, but doesn't put the big strain on their aging bods.

The Buccaneers do not have an upper age limit for our members. If you are physically capable of handling the demand then you can participate. Our oldest person last year was 55.

Lois has proven wise many times in life, and she just proves it again here

Lois has proven wise many times in life, and she just proves it again here

I have a rule for myself that states, If my performance level hinders in anyway the quality of the performance on the field and I'm not talking about a bad day but consistently, then it's time to find a min-corps or alumni corps to perform in which is a pretty good option. Hanging on because of pride or self interest will only alienate you from those that want the best for the whole.

I wanted to do something in En Garde (might still do it) that would allow people who wanted to be on the field, but couldn't really march...take a group of them in a block and have them wander around the field, playing from set places throughout the show. Gets them on the field, but doesn't put the big strain on their aging bods.

Exactly. If I had a trio like that, I'd write in some trio features into the music, too.

Question:

" but I was wondering if any corps has an actual maximum age limit? "

Answer:

NO

The person Him or Herself will know when the physical taking part in some form of Corps is.

With all the ways things are done now days with "All Age" field groups.

With the Alumni/Exhibition type Corps scene.

With the new "Arena/Indoor" / Mini Corps type things.

(I know that there is at least one (maybe 2) Corps that even rides on a float. Allowing yet another outlet for people to go on longer.)

Then one day it may happen, and the most you can do is buy a ticket and go to an event of one or more of the above.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

Exactly. If I had a trio like that, I'd write in some trio features into the music, too.

Wouldn't have to feature players...heck, they could mosey over to a particular spot and act as set points. With a little imagination, they could certainly be included in the field work.

I once asked a DCI kid who fully intended on marching DCA the following year how it felt to age-out. His response? "I'm not ageing out of ANYTHING!".

That is the correct answer for sure ! :thumbdown:

I have a rule for myself that states, If my performance level hinders in anyway the quality of the performance on the field and I'm not talking about a bad day but consistently, then it's time to find a min-corps or alumni corps to perform in which is a pretty good option. Hanging on because of pride or self interest will only alienate you from those that want the best for the whole.

That is an exceptionally good response. I've been on the very unhappy end of telling someone they are no longer able to keep up with the rest of the field corps.

It's a very delicate issue. But one answer is to encourage anyone who wants to be a part of the organization to continue to to do so in another capacity.

It's tough, though. It's tantamount to telling your beloved grandmother that she can't continue to drive on the Interstate. It's just not safe anymore for her or for others.

Yes, age is one of the realities you have to deal with in "All-Age" corps! You have to face the music when a member can no longer perform on the field. However, that does NOT mean that member is no longer valuable to the organization!

It can mean that that person can offer great insights into how the organization can improve; how it can become what it is destined to be.

Never, ever, cast aside the talent and experience of any member of the corps, whether they joined 50 years ago or 50 days ago.

And if you are, say, 60 years old and feel you can't play a horn or drum or spin a flag or rifle anymore?

Two words:

Honor Guard. :thumbdown:

Fran