Maximum Age Limit?

And if you are, say, 60 years old and feel you can't play a horn or drum or spin a flag or rifle anymore?

Two words:

Honor Guard. :thumbdown:

Fran

so that's where we get to put you in a few years :worthy:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age limit? We don't need no stinkin' age limit! :thumbdown:

Seriously though, if someone still wants to march, let them. There is no reason that an older (or injured) member cannot play from the front sideline.

I myself did that back in 2007 with RCR. (Injured foot that year.)

Some of us have been able to march with our kids. I want to be able to march with my grandson. (But first, I think we should let him learn to walk first.)

And if you are, say, 60 years old and feel you can't play a horn or drum or spin a flag or rifle anymore?

Two words:

Fran

Or if the person has such a conflict with their personal life/job that they cannot make all the practices and shows but still helps with the corps when they can. That's how I ended up doing Honor Guard for parts of two season in the mid 80s.

Think the quote was: "Hey you're here enough helping out, go get a uniform and that extra saber from the truck.". Really worked out as the man holding the American Flag wanted a break every now and then because of his back. Too bad, never found any pics from that time. :worthy:

Two words:

Fran

As I've told people on a number of occasions - "One does what one can."

The limitations can be physical, geographic, financial, work-related, family issues, whatever.....

And if I can no longer bang on drums and break things (like Fran Haring), that's okay. I still get to hang out with the greatest bunch of men and women in the world - both in my corps and others.

Andy

As I've told people on a number of occasions - "One does what one can."

The limitations can be physical, geographic, financial, work-related, family issues, whatever.....

And if I can no longer bang on drums and break things (like Fran Haring), that's okay. I still get to hang out with the greatest bunch of men and women in the world - both in my corps and others.

Andy

Have any of you heard of Kenny "Ace" Peterson. To this day one of the sweetest sounding soloists in corps. Last weekend at rehersal, I'm sitting next to him as the hornline is learning St. Louie Blues. He is going to play the introductory solo. Kenny sight-read and played it out of the box. Donnie Allen, the horn instructor, turns to him and goes, "wow"!!

I think he's 78 in April.

One year MSJ had t-shirts for sale with Kennys pic and the caption "You're Never Too Old To Play". Wish I had grabbed one...... OK, we're not competing but have people in parades from teen age to a pair of sops in their mid 70s.

And one of these years hope to meet Ben Martinez and Munson Chan. Competing with a bigger horn at a "bigger" age. :thumbdown: OK, pretty sure what Munson plays but might have Ben confused with someone else....

Edit (saw Dicks post): Can kind of understand, doing parades until the arthritis in my toes gets too bad. Then guess I find or look to start a Mini corps....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

This is kind of reversing this tread. I'm 67 would love to once march Cabs Alumni, but breathing problems limit my ability. I'm sure there are many with me.

Never, ever, cast aside the talent and experience of any member of the corps, whether they joined 50 years ago or 50 days ago.

Here here!