Goodbye to the "00s"

Well we have one more week left in this year/in this decade. It's been a pretty fascinating ten years hasn't it? As we close out this decade, what will be the most memorable events in drum corps for you? What are your hopes for the new decade? Let's celebrate the joy and excitement that drum corps has given us over the past 10 years by remembering what keeps us coming back to this unique activity.

Most memorable for me would be winning a World Championship and marching one of the best drum corps shows I've ever had the opportunity to march.

My only hope is that drum corps continues to be as competitive as it has been over the past few years.

Anyone else want to bite?

Btw, HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :thumbs-up:

Edited by 2000Cadet

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest memories of the 00s:

Marching my 2 years with Blue Stars (05-06).

The roar of the stands when Blue Stars were announced in Madison as being back to div 1 competition for the first time since forever.

Spending countless hours behind the wheel of a 15 passenger van as an intern.

Blue Stars making finals with a bang in 08, and repeating in 09.

Seeing my first shows in 03 (and being there for the last great Dekalb show).

Carolina Crown 09 (as well as their ascent from 03-09)

Phantom 08

SCV 04

I also hope that things continue to be competitive and improve. 2009 was, imo, one of the best years ive watched as a whole, top to bottom.

Other wishes for the next decade:

Blue Stars make their push into the top 5 and beyond.

Carolina Crown takes home the championship.

Troopers build on 09.

Madison builds back up into a title contender.

Edited by AlexL

My favorite memory from marching had to be this past summer. I'm glad that our show was so controversial. Whether people loved it or absolutely hated it, you can't deny that people noticed the corps this year. I am still of the totally biased opinion that we had the best show out there this summer, and of course 98% of DCP will disagree with me. My favorite memory of the show, though, would have to be at Semifinals, right before the last chord where we took our shakos off. I'll never forget that one last rush of adrenaline I had when I slammed my shako into the ground at LOS as hard as I possibly could. I'm surprised it didn't break.

As for the rest of the decade...I didn't even get into drum corps until 2007, so I can't really relate to any events that happened before that. I'll still always remember sitting in the Georgia dome that summer, 5 rows from the front, and watching every single corps, from Pioneer to the encore that the Cavaliers did that night (I watched CorpsVets, too). To this day, that is still the only show I have ever seen as a spectator.

Well we have one more week left in this year/in this decade. It's been a pretty fascinating ten years hasn't it? As we close out this decade, what will be the most memorable events in drum corps for you? What are your hopes for the new decade? Let's celebrate the joy and excitement that drum corps has given us over the past 10 years by remembering what keeps us coming back to this unique activity.

Most memorable for me would be winning a World Championship and marching one of the best drum corps shows I've ever had the opportunity to march.

My only hope is that drum corps continues to be as competitive as it has been over the past few years.

Anyone else want to bite?

Btw, HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :thumbs-up:

Lots of great things to be excited about (in no order, just off the top of my head):

* new corps in the Top 3 for the first time since Star of Indiana almost two decades ago

* 1989 SCV's high score finally fell: 3 times

* the undisputed most popular show of the season actually won

* the streak of "whoever wins Semi's wins Finals" was finally broken

* DCI FINALS CAME TO CALIFORNIA!!!!! Not only that, DCI brought Championship/Finals week-caliber corps to California (2004 ToC)

* Cavaliers won 50% of the Championships. Maybe if you're not a Cavaliers fan that's annoying, but it's no small feat

* the standards of high performance continue to be redefined, as corps are marching, playing, dancing, and spinning faster and cleaner than ever before

* We're closer to a new/first time Champion than we've been in over a decade

On a personal note:

* I became a drum corps fan again. I aged-out in the late 90's, immediate went into grumpy old fart mode, and stopped caring/following drum corps. Over the last five or so years I got back into it.

* my son went to his first drum corps show (in 2006 when he was only 4), loved it and watched with us every Live stream on Fan Network. He's gone to a couple of local shows since then, including Pasadena Championships in 2007, and is a Blue Devil fan.

* my wife became a drum corps fan again (she aged out in the early 90's, but after I aged-out and we moved across the country she stopped following it too).

* BD being ridiculous almost the entire decade.

* BD being powerhouses in 07, 08, and 09.

* BD being undefeated in 09.

* BD.

* Crown beginning one of the greatest brass dynasties in history.

Becoming a drum corps fan first and foremost.

Seeing my first show. It was the second or third week of the season and why Phantom Regiment won the contest with a 79.something absolutely baffled me.

My jaw dropping at the end of the solo in BD's opener in 2004. Three times in one night.

Spending a day with the Cadets at one of those Music is Cool days they do. Hit my first double G that day :).

SPARTACUS! The only time I have ever screamed in a movie theater was when Will Pitts was taken out on the podium.

2009 in general. The Atlanta show has to my favorite show I have ever attended because the shows from start to finish were better than I ever remember seeing.

But It wouldn't go without one sad memory. This summer I saw Memphis Sound for the final time. They were at the first show I ever attended and I was a fan from then on. I know they are still around as Forte, but it was kinda sad watching them march off in Kingsport knowing that that was the last time I would see them as Memphis Sound.

Anywho. Here's to another successful decade of drum corps, and if the bickering doesn't kill this place off, I hope to be back here in another 10 years sharing memories with y'all.

the roar of the crowd in 2000 when Boston started off the telecast, and the crowd "chants" at the Conquest hits

the reaction of the crowd for the tie in 2000

the reaction in 2002 when Cavies won

2004 SCV

seeing Crown win everyones heart in 2007

Spartacus in 2008.

Well we have one more week left in this year/in this decade. It's been a pretty fascinating ten years hasn't it? As we close out this decade, what will be the most memorable events in drum corps for you? <snip>

Well, lets see...

My kid marching Drum Corps and experiencing an undefeated season.

Getting to see the Tour of Champions show in '04

Frameworks, The Zone, The Machine, Winged Victory, and Spartacus.

Watching the cleanest DCI show I've ever seen (BD '09) live several times.

SCV's Company Front during Martha.

I'm sure more memories will pop into my head, but those are the ones that I thought of first...

As for my hopes for the future...First and foremost I hope that the sport of Drum Corps grows and

thrives in the new decade. That visual designers continue to push the limits of what is possible on

the field. That 'outside the box' thinking is recognized and rewarded. And that the corps from the

east coast perform west coast tours.

Cali.

I was introduced to drum corps. <3333

Vanguard 04

Cadets 05

Phantom 03

DCI coming to Cali.

BD 09

BD owning 09

BD remaining undefeated in 09

BD.

My hope for the future would be to see drum corps grow immensely, see some more east coast corps come out to cali every once in a while, and of course...I wish to see myself playing a contra out on that field in the near future.

and I almost forgot to add. Let's hope some corps finally reaches that 100 score!! :thumbs-up:

Edited by s3si1u