fifer

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INT is marching 72 tubas.

And eleventy-million guard.

To the people hating on large tuba lines:

Have you listened to Crown recently? (First to 16 tubas, in 2008, and 80-member hornline)

I think it would be cool if someone flipped that, and went with 1/3 Baris and 2/3 Euphs. That way, you'd get a darkness from the 16 Euphs/16 Contras, yet a brighter high part in the lead baris, almost like the old French Horn, but it all depends on the writing. The Euphs could play high AND low parts if necessary....just seems like the best of all worlds to me. Who doesn't want more color options?

I know of at least one drum corps who had 16 contras on the field in 1995. I'm sure there's been a few others.

Also, although Phantom is known for their all euph line, they've probably had 6 baris and 18+ euphs on the field more times than all euphs, the most recent being 2007.

I don't fully agree with the "better to add to the guard than the horn line" thought. There have been quite a few corps that added to their guards but didn't know who to utilize those added guard members - and it shows. Even Crown somewhat had that look this past year of the guard always divided into three or four groupings that were usually on different equipment or doing different things. Some guard design this past year was even worse and ended up having that lower tiered high school marching band look of one section on large flags, one on small flags, one on sabers, one on rifles, and one dancing throughout the show but seldom looking/feeling like a unified concept.

This has nothing to do with size, but more to do with poor programming. I marched my entire jr. high and high school years in a colorguard of 66, we had none of the problems you list.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Crossmen is looking for some low brass:

"The Crossmen hornline still needs several tuba players! Are you interested in marching or do you know someone who can audition with us? We are looking for talented new members or experienced drum corps marchers to fill these positions. For more information, contact Aaron Goldberg, brass caption head, at aaron_8va@hotmail.com. The camp dates to mark on your calendar are March 26-28 and April 30 - May 2."

I'm a TUBA player ... way to go Madison! I am expecting big things from the brass line. With the talented staff I'm sure you'll be one of the top brass lines. BYBO!!!!!

Playing an incredible 71 parts....

Doubling the lead part, of course. :grouphug: