Dinosaurs (LOL) who go to shows today

Irony #1: Older marchers who constantly demand respect for their generation on here oftentimes show very little respect for the current generation.

Irony #2: If today's marchers spent as much time and effort dissing everything about drum corps of the past, the older marchers would have a collective fit of apoplexy.

------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm just one of the fortunate few who loves it all.

LIKE!!!! <holy crap...i agreed with Lance!>

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't the topic : What " experienced " drum corps people like about today's shows?

1) Visuals . if seen from up high in the stadium, the show visuals displayed with quite a number of Corps can be quite impressive. We don't tend to see the out of step marchers, improper spacing, intervals, cover downs,, etc that can be more obvious down close. The formations that Visual Coordinators put together can be quite enjoyable from up high, in my opinion.

2) Encores. It was a nice addition by DCI. It seems that many Corps, not under the competitve pressures in these post show encores, typically let their hair down, and play some great music here at their Encores. Some Corps play their traditional signature songs from that Corps, as well as new offerings. In many cases, ( my opinion) this music played in the Encores can sometimes be more enjoyable than what they play on the field.

3) Ballads. Some of the best ballads in all of Drum Corps history have been played by some recent Corps this last decade.

These are a few good things out there, that allows this particular "dinosaur " to not quite become extinct just yet.

Edited by BRASSO

So for the dino/old timers/pick a term, what do you enjoy about todays corps? And how has what you enjoy changed? And (just for the Hades of it) do you still enjoy what went on in your day as much as you did then?

Got the idea from another thread so why not.....

The first thing I like is the sound...the quality of the performances...brass and percussion. The players today are amazing, and the instructors do an amazing job getting a great sound from the corps. I love the contribution of the pit, and miccing them has made them even better. Guards today do an awesome array of work and dance...the tandem makes them so much fun to see.

The skill levels all round are incredible today. The marching skills doing drills we would never have even dreamed of in 1964 when I started create a wonderful blend between the horns and percussion.

The first thing I like is the sound...the quality of the performances...brass and percussion. The players today are amazing, and the instructors do an amazing job getting a great sound from the corps. I love the contribution of the pit, and miccing them has made them even better. Guards today do an awesome array of work and dance...the tandem makes them so much fun to see.

The skill levels all round are incredible today. The marching skills doing drills we would never have even dreamed of in 1964 when I started create a wonderful blend between the horns and percussion.

True enough. But the talent in 1964 was distributed among about 1500 Corps. Had there been a mechanism in place to bring the very best talent from those 1500 Corps together, dispurse them to among a dozen and a half or so super elite Corps, allow both the staff to work fulltime, and the marchers to practice full time in the summer as well, I 'm pretty sure some amazing things could likewise have been done. Especially give the fact that just about all the 1500 Corps were predominently weekend Corps, where all the marchers and staff members had regular 9-5 jobs Monday through Friday in the summers. I can just imagine what the dozen or so All Star Corps of 1964 could produce given the opportunity for marchers and staff to perfect their shows full time in the summer. Guess we'll never really know. But It probably would have been quite outstanding I suspect. Take the most talented 1 or 2 marchers from just half of those 1500 Corps of 1964, and some amazing things could have been done, I believe.

Edited by BRASSO

Edit: Is it really so hard to respond to a serious question without being so snotty about it?

Given the general tenor in DCP, I think one can easily stipulate that there are several people who post in DCP that LOVE to beat the dead horse about why one era of drum corps is "real" drum corps, and another era is not. It gets tiring, and I honestly think this is the only activity where so many people waste so much time on stuff they obviously don't like. When you say,

I was Senior corps only it's a lot easier to just support the All-Age/Alumni-type group.

my first thought is why constantly debate and argue about things you're not that into. I'm really not into going to country band concerts, and therefor I do not frequent forums devoted to country western bands just to say it's not a legit style of music. I'm not necessarily singling per say, just the myriad of others who will come on here and more than likely complain about electronics, non-G brass, etc.

True enough. But the talent in 1964 was distributed among about 1500 Corps. Had there been a mechanism in place to bring the very best talent from those 1500 Corps together, dispurse them to among a dozen and a half or so super elite Corps, allow both the staff to work fulltime, and the marchers to practice full time in the summer as well, I 'm pretty sure some amazing things could likewise have been done. Especially give the fact that just about all the 1500 Corps were predominently weekend Corps, where all the marchers and staff members had regular 9-5 jobs Monday through Friday in the summers. I can just imagine what the dozen or so All Star Corps of 1964 could produce given the opportunity for marchers and staff to perfect their shows full time in the summer. Guess we'll never really know. But It probably would have been quite outstanding I suspect. Take the most talented 1 or 2 marchers from just half of those 1500 Corps of 1964, and some amazing things could have been done, I believe.

So...since it's possible that you could hypothetically, theoretically produce a great corps back then, does that make old drum corps just as good as modern corps?

Given the general tenor in DCP, I think one can easily stipulate that there are several people who post in DCP that LOVE to beat the dead horse about why one era of drum corps is "real" drum corps, and another era is not. It gets tiring, and I honestly think this is the only activity where so many people waste so much time on stuff they obviously don't like. When you say,

Understand the first part but why bring that anger over into an area that is trying to get a discussion going WITHOUT the anger? Yeah there are too many insults but is it so bad that some of us can't have a discussion without them? If just continues what you we both don't like.

my first thought is why constantly debate and argue about things you're not that into. I'm really not into going to country band concerts, and therefor I do not frequent forums devoted to country western bands just to say it's not a legit style of music. I'm not necessarily singling per say, just the myriad of others who will come on here and more than likely complain about electronics, non-G brass, etc.

OK, next time if you're not singling me out please let me know so I know the reply isn't personal.

I marched in the 70's, taught in the 80's, took the 90's off, judged in the 00's, and I'm now teaching again. The one thing I love, that has not changed a bit , is the KIDS! Kids I marched with, taught, and judged. They are drum corps true power and reason for being. What they can and do accomplish is amazing! Are there technical and artistic changes I don't like? Sure. That I do like? Yes! But the kids are always amazing. That is the only reason any of us should be involved in this activity.

Here's something I've always wondered:

If older generations love the traditional stuff so much, and there are decades of legacy fans out there, why aren't DCA shows better attended? It's what they want: Recognizable music, not crazy drill, not crazy guard, loud (kinda) and on G bugles. It seems the drum corps of old is still alive and well but with half the attendance figures of DCI Finals.