First experiences with drill?

Hi Alumni, a question or two from a drum corps newbie, I just got the drill charts for this season and I can honestly say that I'm a bit scared, excited and anxious and eager all at the same time

So

How was the drill/visual experience for you your very first year of drum corps?

Was it a scary experience?

Any tips (besides getting into shape and practicing the marching style)?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run whenever they say 'reset.' Like, really. Sprint. It'll suck at first since you're not fully in shape yet, but I swear that full-out running back to sets all the time was one of the primary reasons that I lost so much weight so quickly in '08. I mean, obviously it helps to know where you're running back to, but the instructors really like it when you show that sort of enthusiasm.

Hi Alumni, a question or two from a drum corps newbie, I just got the drill charts for this season and I can honestly say that I'm a bit scared, excited and anxious and eager all at the same time

So

How was the drill/visual experience for you your very first year of drum corps?

Was it a scary experience?

Any tips (besides getting into shape and practicing the marching style)?

No, it wasn't the drill that was scary.

My drill experience was pretty nice. We started on the left endzone, marched towards the 50 in squads while playing El Cid, rotated a line, dropped twos towards the stands, picked up twos to a company front and peeled paint. We then turned in 4's and stepped off in squads while playing something patriotic before turning to make a psuh to the stands and end in a concert form. After concert we did a production number with squad follow the leader to sets of closed flags and as they opened, someone would march through and into another company front and push to the stands. After the opening statement of the exit tune, we turned to the left and headed towards the right endzone, turned and blasted way too many out of tune notes before halting. All in all it was pretty simple on grass. Practicing on a blacktop parking lot all year wasn't as easy with all those light poles and concrete car stops..................

relax, keep in mind that there will be other NEW kids just as nervous as you.

Welcome to the club.

My first reaction was..... WOW i'm on the front hash 50 yard line at the 1st big hit!!!! AWESOME!!!!! My second reaction was....wtf is this all hand written? Where are the coordinate sheets? Who still writes drill by hand? crap..

I can honestly say that I wasn't too scared about learning drill with the corps, but catching up on what the rest of the corps had learned in March and April was a bit scary, mainly due to the fact that I had never had to learn drill so fast before. That was only about 18 pages though, so it wasn't too bad.

But really, its not too bad. Just go to your dots and if you have problems, ask a drill tech.

Good Luck :tongue:

When I marched back in 84 they were just learning the new style drill. I joined 2 weeks before tour and had to learn the drill in a short time. I never got a chart it was mostly your start here and stay X amount of step off him.....

Similar to mine...no one on the field had charts....the staff had a big set of acetate sheets with the pages drawn on them (so they could see the transitions from page to page, I think). They'd set the end people and someone would step us off for proper intervals, they'd dress the line, then when they were satisfied, we put down a mark (usually tape). The go to the lest set, repeat the procedure, and march from set to set, lather/rinse/repeat.