2 Sets of Horns@!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless the brass set was all g's. :sad:

Hey, GREAT POINT! :worthy:

To me it is pretty clear why Crown is doing this....

Crown's show is all 2nd Symphonies and my guess is their show is something about getting 2nd last year and wanting to win this next year. I think their show is even entitled "A second chance..." if I heard that correctly (I could be making that up though).

So, they will likely use the SILVER horns for part of the show and then use the GOLD (lacquer) horns at the end to signify winning the gold this year...

I could be way off, but that is just my guess.

IF this is true. IF... I am interested in how many points the horn line switch adds to their score. And then the obvious followup question is "are they just buying more points?" If it doesn't add any points to their show, then there is no reason to do it... right?

This is not a Crown specific question. They just happen to be the topic of the thread where the idea of using 2 sets of horns to make their show better (read: score more points) came up.

so the grass isnt always greener on the other side of the triple crown?

The rumors I heard included ROSE brass. Thoughts?

Hmm...not sure how I feel about that. I love rose brass horns for indoors, specifically for jazz. Love the Kanstul rose brass flugels. I'm worried how they would transfer to the outdoors, though. But hey, what do I know? I'm certainly not nearly as qualified or well-informed on the effects of different acoustic spaces with different metals as DVD & Co. are.

Side note #1: Buuuut, if they're going for rose brass, does that mean they're shooting for bronze? :worthy:

Side note #2: I really don't think they care that much about placement. These are all staff that have been around, and have been at the top before. I doubt they care nearly as much about a fancy ring and bragging rights as they do about giving the kids a great experience, and teaching them that what matters is making a connection with the crowd and each other. So, this whole thing where "this entire season is because we want to WIN and that's what really matters" seems a bit silly to me.

I would guess that it's for aesthetic purposes mostly unless they change "type" of horn.

If you want to see another different looking hornline, check out Crossmen 1989 on Fan Network.

They put some kind of white lacquer on the bell of their horns. The horns looked white when they were up and playing. They were still silver otherwise.

I was told that the lacquer was supposed to do something to the sound of the hornline ( maybe make them more mello? ) but I think their unique sound that year was due to the arranging of the piece.

The reason we had the white lacquer was because we had a mix of all silver horns and left over silver with brass lacquer inside the bell (which had been a cool look). We could not afford to get the all silver horns changed to brass bells, so Mike Denis found someone who would strip and white lacquer all the bells on the cheap so we did not look like a hodge-podge in performance.

I hated the look, but at least it was uniform. To this day I am not sure if the lacquer made any real difference in the sound, but it certainly did psychologically, to me. Felt like we had a plastic line. But we managed to get the corps back in fianls with those bells, so they hold a special place for many involved with the corps at the time.

To get back on topic, I can't imagine the tuning fun involved with two sets of horns for one show... Especially for a line that plays as clearly in tune and with the exposure of Crown. Best of luck to them as they move from outdoor warmups to indor finals performances....

so the grass isnt always greener on the other side of the triple crown?

No, but it is when you take your Second chances into account. :worthy: