Has the view of 'Senior' Corps changed lately in DCI?

I don’t think I have a very accurate view of DCA but I don’t have a negative one either. Way back when , I did see some east coast DCA shows but recently, I’ve only seen the Kilties open up other shows. I did try to talk some folks into joining the Kilties with me, we all enjoyed them on the field but when it came down to it, it was just too much time to commit....so mad props to all those that do make the time. I don’t know how you do it and maintain a real life

I'm considering a trip to DCA finals this year as an alternative to the usual plus I need to go look at some family graves there that I haven’t visited since DCI was in Buffalo

Finding the time (and planning the time) to be involved in a "all age" corps is no different than one would do if they enjoyed (as examples) playing golf on weekends, or bowling, or stamp collecting, or horseback riding, etc. etc. If it's a activity one enjoys and finds refreshing, challenging, etc., you just plan it out.

Drum corps....it's all good stuff!! :thumbup:

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second part of the question asked was would you consider marching it.

That is more geared towards recent age-outs and current members, but something else I'm curious about.

When I aged-out, mine and many other members thoughts were that we are never marching another show again.

I'm glad that my thoughts eventually were changed as I'm still having fun in DCA 5 years later at the age of 28.

That's fine and all, but if you're not competitive, then doesn't your season end before labor day? IF you even consider there to be a season when there's no scores involved.

Meanwhile here we are at almost MAY and I bet we still DON'T KNOW who will be competitive or NOT "this" year in/at DCA. Talking strictly of getting scores, not placements from scores. About all that we can be certain of this year is that there will be fewer competitive corps at DCA prelims. And no matter how you crunch the numbers, that's NOT growth.

Where DCI's lineup is a bit more certain. You could probably predict the top 6 and not be off by more than two placements for any one corps. Even without seeing a single show or having a single score from this season. Quite impressive for a circuit that has a 100% turnover in marching members every three to ten years. Arguably every year with current costs.

THERE IS MORE TO DRUM CORPS THAN GETTING A SCORE.

Why am I agreeing with you more and more, Jeff?

My 2 years in Renegades (2003-04) can attest to this. Middle of the pack both years but boy did we have that crowd right in the palm of our hands!

Because to some people, the end all be all is being at that championship site.

yet for decades drum corps flourished with MOST corps never going to a World or Nationals competition. I'd say probably over half went to a State final.

Because to some people, the end all be all is being at that championship site.

yet for decades drum corps flourished with MOST corps never going to a World or Nationals competition. I'd say probably over half went to a State final.

But that's not the current culture of drum corps for at least the junior corps, and hasn't been in a long time. If you're in a junior corps that is not going to Championships, you are probably going to have a hard time filling the ranks. We can argue what's better/worse as far as current/past drum corps models, but the fact is current and recently aged-out marching members have the culture of "we're going to finals."

Why am I agreeing with you more and more, Jeff?

My 2 years in Renegades (2003-04) can attest to this. Middle of the pack both years but boy did we have that crowd right in the palm of our hands!

...and still do. The single most anticipated performance at dca...year in and year out...because you come to town and scare the bejesus out of everyone...with that evil stuff and on the sheets :) (2nd in GE, 2003; 3rd in GE in 2004; 2nd in Horns and GE in 2005)

That's fine and all, but if you're not competitive, then doesn't your season end before labor day? IF you even consider there to be a season when there's no scores involved.

Meanwhile here we are at almost MAY and I bet we still DON'T KNOW who will be competitive or NOT "this" year in/at DCA. Talking strictly of getting scores, not placements from scores. About all that we can be certain of this year is that there will be fewer competitive corps at DCA prelims. And no matter how you crunch the numbers, that's NOT growth.

Where DCI's lineup is a bit more certain. You could probably predict the top 6 and not be off by more than two placements for any one corps. Even without seeing a single show or having a single score from this season. Quite impressive for a circuit that has a 100% turnover in marching members every three to ten years. Arguably every year with current costs.

The reason I gave the stats is because someone said there needs to be a stronger east coast base in order for DCA to survive, nothing to do with your reply to my post.

I'm glad that my thoughts eventually were changed as I'm still having fun in DCA 5 years later at the age of 28.

Quoted for truth. I'm so glad that I got involved with DCA. It's given me an opportunity to do something I love for as long as I want to.

Drum Corps is what you make of it!