Did You March DCA...

Marched in a Sr (aka All Age corps) from age 16-22 in the 70s. At the time South Central PA had about 6-8 Sr corps within a two hour drive but only two (Crossmen and Schuykill Haven Belevedes) Jr corps. Closest Sr corps was little over 10 miles away and had drill rehearsal about half that distance. I was only looking for something that allowed me to continue playing horn after HS as the local Community College only had a small jazz band that didn't thrill me. Doing corps once a week over the winter and three times a week (2 drill rehearsals and Sat show) while living at home was a perfect fit for me.

And yeah being in the hometown corps felt good no matter how bad we were at the start..... And learning to work together with people of all different ages and backgrounds really helped me out in the long run.

Edit: Funniest thing is my parents weren't too cracked with the drive to the practice site (thru the city). Later we found out there was another corps about the same distance away and a LOT safer drive for a kid with a new license. So #### near ended up with Hershey (yeah THAT Hershey) Chocolatier in my sig.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started as "Fan in the Stands" 1961

Started marching in 1962, "Jr Corps" (Hudson Bershire Circuit - Penn/Jersey Circuit - Am. Legion - VFW.)

Started DCA in '75 on till 2005

Then marched on into The Aulumni type units till '09.

NOW, a "Fan in the Stands" again.

Marched in Big National type parades like: Macy's NYC - St. Pat's Day, NYC/Savanah,Ga - Orange Bowl Miami, and too many others to mention, in a "Drum and Bugle Corps". Then who could forget the Thrill of appearing in Carnigie Hall and the main arena at Madison Square Garden in a "Drum and Bugle Corps".

Competed in a Top 10 Corps with Jr Corps.

And then with a Top 10 Corps Sr in DCA, (Competed in DCA Class A as a Finalest also)

From Last Place at States to Top 10 in the Nation.

From the local Little League Parade to the Big on TV, Parades.

From the "Grand Opening" a local Super Market to Carnigie Hall

How much Greater could I have had it overall.

No DCI

Edited by OldStyleCorps

for those of us over aged when DCI was founded... I will carry this back further... I only marched senior corps and then DCA after it started...

However, I met Jim Jones in 1964 and came within a hairswidth of marching 1965 Casper Troopers... he offered me a job in Casper, but you just didn't take off from NY to Wyoming back then - especially with no money... so I stayed senior.

Had a fairly decent career I guess... now covering over 50 years... If anyone cares, I marched from the early 50's until 1978 (first senior field contest was 1959). I judged junior corps regionally in the 70's and judged DCA in the 80's... I also judged over 250 winter guard contest... then spent 4 years as director of Rochester Cru and brought them into the top 5, 3 of those 4 years... since then, I have been on the DCA staff...

but the dream of marching the sunburst creeps into my sleep on occasion...

Edited by TomPeashey

There was no DCI when I was young enough, but I never marched in any junior corps either. At 17 1/2 I went from my neighbborhood parade/standstill corps to Hawthorne, in January, 1966. Coincidentally, that season was the corps' first in DCA, so I marched seven seasons, all in DCA.

I never marched a Junior Corps. Started right in with a Senior Corps last year and I'm in my 30's so just go for it. So where do you live? :)

Indianapolis

I'm on my third year with Empire, and I'm 15.

That should tell you something!

Me too.

I thought that since I was a woodwind player that there would be no way that I could march in a junior corps. I had the opportunity to at least try out for...Phantom 96. Whoops. So it has been DCA all the way since 2000.

Ditto for me...

As a clarinetist, I never gave a real thought to marching DCI until my final year of eligibility. I learned to play baritone a little over a one-week period with the intent of trying out for Spirit in 1988, but I chickened out. Becoming a charter member of ALLIANCE in 2005 fulfilled a dream for me, and I have enjoyed DCA ever since.

Yes. Family issues (a Dad who said "No Way") prevented me from doing juniors, and work (on-call responsibilities) kept me from trying DCA until I was in my 40's.

God No!

Baton corps, junior corps, senior corps, alumni corps, senior corps, alumni corps.

Edited by BigDale