Did You March DCA...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched DCI in 1974 at Cornell, With a competative colorguard. (sorta pre-WGI).

Then DCA 1980 to 2010.

You are a rare bird indeed. I aged-out before DCI.

Edited by ereese

Started 1n 1965 with local Jr. corps. In 1972 a buddy's dad wanted to take us up to Revere to march with

27th. When he saw the time commitment he said he couldn't do it so we joined the local Sr. corps

New Bedford Whalers. Competed in RCA & DCA missed DCA membership by 1 spot to RI Matadors.

When Whalers broke up it just made more sense to go to Providence then Revere. My age out year was

1977 & I thought about going to the Lancers but decided to stay with the Matadors.

When Matadors disbanded after 1987 I didn't march again till 2000 when something made me join Generations.

I'm glad I did because we won Class A Championship!

Fast forward to 2003 & I join the Light Brigade (RIP) & finally marched with many of the people

I would have been with from 72-77.

No regrets.

In 1972 a buddy's dad wanted to take us up to Revere to march with

27th. When he saw the time commitment he said he couldn't do it so we joined the local Sr. corps

New Bedford Whalers.

Before I joined Sunrisers for the '77 season, my first choice was to march with the Garfield Cadets...... attended a rehearsal or two, but then decided (OK.... my parents decided....LOL)... that I needed to work during the summer (during my first go-round in college) and couldn't do the tour. So.... it was off to Sun.

It would have been nice to be with the Cadets that summer and make DCI Finals.... but quite fortunately, things worked out very well with Sun that year. :tongue:

In my age-out year.... 1979... I had an outside shot at marching with another one of my favorite junior corps.... the Blue Stars. We had a family friend who lived in that part of the country and I would have had a place to live/work when not on tour.... I kicked around the possibility for a bit, but the plans never came together.

Fran

Before I joined Sunrisers for the '77 season, my first choice was to march with the Garfield Cadets...... attended a rehearsal or two, but then decided (OK.... my parents decided....LOL)... that I needed to work during the summer (during my first go-round in college) and couldn't do the tour. So.... it was off to Sun.

It would have been nice to be with the Cadets that summer and make DCI Finals.... but quite fortunately, things worked out very well with Sun that year. :tongue:

In my age-out year.... 1979... I had an outside shot at marching with another one of my favorite junior corps.... the Blue Stars. We had a family friend who lived in that part of the country and I would have had a place to live/work when not on tour.... I kicked around the possibility for a bit, but the plans never came together.

Fran

Can you picture that white helmet on one of those god-awful Hawaiian shirts?

Oy!

Fran

Fran,

This was one of the great things about pre-DCI corps; one could actually have a life in addition to drum corps.

I must admit that it was sometimes difficult to come in off the boat, or come back from the beach, or get off the tennis court in time for that evening's rehearsal, but we did it.

Full-time touring.... BAH!!!!

Andy

This is my 4th year marching DCA. When I was young I never thought of marching in a Drum Corps. We had bad word coming here marching band and the only exposure we saw was a show in Minneapolis, the State VFW Championship I believe. So our director never told us about drum corps. One of the drum line instructors marched Troopers. But in our area no one really moved off in that direction.

DCA is a great way to march. My daughter and I have been together for all four years and there is a special bond with the corps. At this point in my life I wish I would have done junior corps. But DCA is a great alternative.

For me, it was DCA ALL THE WAY!!!!

Started competing in 1982, haven't finished yet!!! (Still competing with DCA Mini Corps).

Marched the Alumni circuit from 1994 - 2007 (YES.....I was allowed to with full permission of the director of the competing corps!)

Might possibly compete on the field one more time before my time is up!!!

(And I dont even care if it's a 4th trumpet part.....for me it would be full circle!!!) LOL

I started marching Sunrisers in 1992....no DCI for me.

Do I regret it? Not at all. :tongue: