A Drum Corps Blind Spot

This thread makes me trololo !! No staff at shows, captions heads only listen to tapes, 20 "staff uniforms" added in everybody's staff, staff thrown under the bus, barefoot and shirtless Zingali, and then....she who must not be named!!!

Oh-ho-ho-ho-hooooooooo!

La-la-laaaahhh!

Thank you DCP!

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This discussion is absurd......and Kamareg and Brasso are correct. I've been following (and participating in) the activity since 1977, and there has been no change in staff appearance over that time.

YES, it is important (actually vital) that staff see the performance each night, so they not only can address the judges appropriately but also so they know what to prioritize for the following day's rehearsal blocks. Btw, you do not see 42 staff "prancing" up to the GE box.....my experience is that most of the various techs stay at or near field level, simply to get a better view (and listen) to corrections they may have made that day, etc. The design and ensemble folks usually go upstairs to see and hear what those adjudicators are seeing and hearing.

Utlimately, the corps staff attire has nothing to do with the corps' performance or any discussion of mediocrity, and as a veteran staff person (now support volunteer), I assign this entire conversation as immaterial and irrelevant. I further suggest that anyone who thinks you're going to get 10 polo shirts packed into a duffelbag and remain unwrinkled has never done a 55 day tour. Sportcoats? Really?

Hmmmmm....someone's comments must have hit a little too close to home....

This thread makes me trololo !! No staff at shows, captions heads only listen to tapes, 20 "staff uniforms" added in everybody's staff, staff thrown under the bus, barefoot and shirtless Zingali, and then....she who must not be named!!!

Oh-ho-ho-ho-hooooooooo!

La-la-laaaahhh!

Thank you DCP!

In " the pursuit of excellence in all things ", the book is out on whether or not this thread has reached it's fullest potential of" excellence" just yet. But it's a work in progress. That said, it's always good advice to always remember to judge a book by it's cover. And if we've learned that on this thread, how can this not be a good thing ?

Edited by BRASSO

In " the pursuit of excellence in all things ", the book is out on whether or not this thread has reached it's fullest potential of" excellence" just yet. But it's a work in progress. That said, it's always good advice to always remember to judge a book by it's cover. And if we've learned that, then we've on the way to proper image making.

I will respect this thread when it starts wearing clothes befitting of a productive member of society.

I will respect this thread when it starts wearing clothes befitting of a productive member of society.

"The Emperor has no clothes " ( that said, I promised Granny not to go down the clothing aisle on this thread anymore, so no can do )

I was writing this post related to the thread on corps posters and how some use an argument of "Who cares, it's just a poster." But I thought this topic might be better as a separate thread.

One thing that perplexes me is when someone posts a criticism of "non-field" elements of drum corps, others combat them with an argument of "Who cares. It's just a __________. As long as the show is good, who cares?"

Isn't a major part of drum corps about teaching young people excellence in every area of life? Paying attention to details in life is what sets one apart from the mediocrity that surrounds us. I'm sometimes bewildered at how a corps will pound these principles into the heads of young people when it comes to on-the-field performance, but when it comes to other aspects of the corps we see a tolerance of shoddiness.

I think we've all seen it. Big things like running finances poorly or small things like having the staff walk into a stadium looking like they rolled out of bed after shopping all night at the Good Will clearance rack.

I think it's a mistake to compartmentalize excellence and have a laissez faire attitude. I am arguing that each corps should strive for excellence in every aspect of their organization. A fundamental principle of drum corps is: "if you're going to do it, do it RIGHT!"

Kudos....Excellence should not be departmentalized..it should be institutional!

Kudos....Excellence should not be departmentalized..it should be institutional!

Are you sure you don't mean " not be compartmentalized " instead of " not be departmentalized " ?

What " departments " in DCI are not functioning properly in your view in this " pursuit of excellence " ? front office ? sales dept. ? tech dept ? purchasing dept. ? Corps staffing dept. levels ? Should " departmentalization " require corporate powers be more centralized or decentalized at DCI ? I don't know what you mean when you state that " excellence ( presumably in DCI ) " should not be departmentalized ". Would you care to elaborate, or clarify what you mean ?

Edited by BRASSO

If I remember correctly, Catherine was critical of EVERYONE and EVERYTHING.

Funny.

10 yard penalty. not enough caps :ph34r:

I didn't chuck ANY of the DCI Corps staff under the bus on this thread. And I also can be seen above supporting the need NOT to cut off debate on this thread topic when another poster attempted to do so , and gave kudos to the "diversity of opinion here" in my comments above, and stated that people "are free to have their own opinions ", even though I might disagree with some. And I never stated that the conversation here by any poster is hogwash ( what the poster heard might be hogwash though, imo ), even if their opinion, imo, was flawed or an impractical suggestion or what have you. So one could say you've done a pretty odorous attempt at a hatchet job yourself here of trying to mischaracterize my comments on this thread. But I won't hold that against you. It's no big deal, and I won't call you a arsehole either, so you're safe from any personal attack from me right now. I have no interest in such things. It bores me, and it's not in keeping either with" the pursuit of excellence in all things" that many here seem to be advovcating...... in others.

no you didnt chuck DCI staff under the bus. I never once said you did. However, you mocked the conversation I had, that was very real by doing your own "research". I did however refer to many remarks made aroun me at local shows and regionals as well about staff attire. the comments were made about corps of all claiber, big and tall, blue and maroon, red and green, and every other shade in the DCI universe, which isn't much since most wear black pants.

I have mad no personal attacks. I used your own words against you to show how you make an accusation, then tried to duck and dodge when called on it.

and for the record, I am an ########. I admit it freely. The first step is admittance