New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

Obviously, money is a big problem for most World Class corps. We know YEA is not generating the same revenue they did previously. I am guessing the same is true for many other corps. If we go down this road we very likely will see, in the not so distant future, only the seven corps pushing this proposal left as competitive, world class organizations. The rest of the drum corps will either fold or will be part of regional organizations acting as training ground for the G7. The G7 will be larger marching groups, splitting all of the pie between themselves, and, I believe, putting a very high quality, entertaining product on the field. It will not be what we grew up with and will leave a lot of fans of corps not in the G7 bitter and lost to drum corps forever.

I am guessing some of the G7 may not survive financially if this proposal is not enacted. If money was not a problem, this would not be considered.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, money is a big problem for most World Class corps. We know YEA is not generating the same revenue they did previously. I am guessing the same is true for many other corps. If we go down this road we very likely will see, in the not so distant future, only the seven corps pushing this proposal left as competitive, world class organizations. The rest of the drum corps will either fold or will be part of regional organizations acting as training ground for the G7. The G7 will be larger marching groups, splitting all of the pie between themselves, and, I believe, putting a very high quality, entertaining product on the field. It will not be what we grew up with and will leave a lot of fans of corps not in the G7 bitter and lost to drum corps forever.

I am guessing some of the G7 may not survive financially if this proposal is not enacted. If money was not a problem, this would not be considered.

flame on, but: BOO HOO !!!! Sell all the mixers, amps, and the rest of the nonsense, get back to basics, entertain the crowds, the broad spectrum of the crowd and make money. You wanna run like a business ? Start pleasing your customer and generate new ones....dwindling crowds and vocal opposition to your recent changes are facts. Not things for those on the arm-chair DCP circuit to laugh at.......You want money ? Make money, not reverb.........

G

Edited by GMichael1230

Yeah, you have a point here. Very few groups, even at that level, are really self sustaining. BD probably, and maybe Crown and another one or two . . .but that's a troubling thought in itself.

How arrogant of George Hopkins to make a claim that they are the main reason for the crowds at a show....Its like this activity is losing all the value and credibility of its fundamentals.

Competition creates the best, its not so much the units themselves but the depth of the competition in the field.......

Im so tired of holding my breath hoping this activity is going to "right its wrongs" ..

G

The first thing I do when looking at the DCI schedule is look for shows with more corps from the proposed G7. If a show has only 1, I won't attend, period. If the show has 2 of them, then I'll think about it within distance/cost/venue factors. If the show has 3, I'll start feeling little butterflies in my tummy.

And for every show, I'll be late, not caring one bit about what I might "miss" at the beginning of the show.

When I pay $$ for a "show" of any kind (Orchestra, Broadway, Rock Concert, etc), I want excellence for 100% of the show...not 2/7, 1/6, 3/8.....I went to Semi Finals....ONCE, and never again. I only go to Finals and Regionals now, and I hang out in the warmup area until #8 or 7 are about to go on. (or 3-4 at a two-day regional)

I'm glad that some people find "educational and entertainment" value in the NON-G7.

I just want excellence. If you can't tell the difference in excellence between the proposed G7 and the rest, more power to you. Unfortunately for me, I can.

What would be great, is if they had shows with only 4 corps, all from G7! I'd love to go to a show, starting at 7:00, have it be over by 8:30 with full retreat/encore! 100% FUN AND EXCELLENCE!

I'm fully on board with this concept, power-grab or not.

Heh. Didn't expect to see an "est" reference here. Seems fitting, though.

Do you think Hop went all Mackey on them, headset mic and all?

mackey3.jpg

Respect....the corps!

Well from what I've heard, Mackey is his default setting in those meetings. George went through EST/Landmark training

back in the late 80s I believe, so hence the reference.

http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/news.pl?c...tory&id=958

Message from Adolph

The Cavaliers on New Touring Model Proposal

Thursday, May 20th, 2010 - 2:44 AM

By Adolph DeGrauwe

Posted by Chris Lugo

ATTN: Cavalier Fans, Friends, Family and Alumni

Regarding the recent "New Touring Concept Presented By Seven DCI corps" proposal announcement (see below), The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps would like to provide our dedicated fans, friends, family and alumni with some clarity as to The Cavaliers position:

There will be no change in our status as a member of Drum Corps International (DCI). Our founder, Don Warren, was also a founder of DCI, and we believe it is our responsibility to protect what has been built and provide leadership to help DCI grow and evolve.

The Cavaliers Board of Directors has discussed the proposal in detail and backs the concept of finding new ways to bring more fans and supporters to the drum corps activity.

The Cavaliers will continue to participate in planning discussions for potential 2011 events.

The Cavaliers will evaluate any proposed changes to the structure of DCI with a clear focus on what is best for our organization, our brotherhood, continuing our mission and growing the drum corps activity.

As we continue to evaluate this new touring model proposal, we pledge to move forward only on terms that facilitate what's best for the longevity of The Cavaliers and the drum corps activity. While this does not affect the 2010 season, we understand that there will be many questions. The Cavaliers plan on being transparent, and we encourage you to submit any questions or concerns to director@cavaliers.org.

We are grateful to have incredibly dedicated fans, friends, family and alumni, and we look for your patience as these options are further examined.

Adolph DeGrauwe, Director

The first thing I do when looking at the DCI schedule is look for shows with more corps from the proposed G7. If a show has only 1, I won't attend, period. If the show has 2 of them, then I'll think about it within distance/cost/venue factors. If the show has 3, I'll start feeling little butterflies in my tummy.

And for every show, I'll be late, not caring one bit about what I might "miss" at the beginning of the show.

When I pay $$ for a "show" of any kind (Orchestra, Broadway, Rock Concert, etc), I want excellence for 100% of the show...not 2/7, 1/6, 3/8.....I went to Semi Finals....ONCE, and never again. I only go to Finals and Regionals now, and I hang out in the warmup area until #8 or 7 are about to go on. (or 3-4 at a two-day regional)

I'm glad that some people find "educational and entertainment" value in the NON-G7.

I just want excellence. If you can't tell the difference in excellence between the proposed G7 and the rest, more power to you. Unfortunately for me, I can.

What would be great, is if they had shows with only 4 corps, all from G7! I'd love to go to a show, starting at 7:00, have it be over by 8:30 with full retreat/encore! 100% FUN AND EXCELLENCE!

I'm fully on board with this concept, power-grab or not.

Sad - but its your right to feel that way.

G

flame on, but: BOO HOO !!!! Sell all the mixers, amps, and the rest of the nonsense, get back to basics, entertain the crowds, the broad spectrum of the crowd and make money. You wanna run like a business ? Start pleasing your customer and generate new ones....dwindling crowds and vocal opposition to your recent changes are facts. Not things for those on the arm-chair DCP circuit to laugh at.......You want money ? Make money, not reverb.........

G

Flame on?

My point is these corps are not going to go back to a less complex show - the costs are not going to go down. The G7 believe they hold the hammer and they are now going to use it. Not much fans of drum corps can do. For older fans it is sad, especially considering the corps I marched with seems to be looking in from the outside despite two consecutive 8th place finishes.

I will put you in the bitter column.