New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

remember, you can voice your displeasure at the souvie booths and by booing.

Summer 2010 is your chance to make sure these 7 corps know what you think about this proposal.

Hi. I don't want to get too entrenched in the quagmire this whole "haves vs. have-nots" thing has created, just something I'd like to say. While it's definitely up to you where you spend your money (attending certain shows, buying souvies from a certain corps), I'd like to point out that those of us in "G7 corps" are participants, not administrators nor executives. Regardless of how any of us feel in regards to the proposed plan (for or against), we're also bystanders on this crazy ride, just like you, the fans (and many former marching members).

That being said... it'd be cool if you didn't boo us. We're going to be out there every night performing like every other steward of the activity (+1 to the guy on one of the first few pages who said that), and I just think it'd be a lot better for everyone if we kept the toxic feelings directed at people making the decisions away from those of us on the field.

That's all. Thanks.

Edited by HashBrownJM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....this presupposes that they ("G7") see themselves as a "cabal" of sorts. We don't know that! We do know that it's about marketing and customer reach. Why do think Crown has found its way into this august group? It sure as hell ain't because of their long history of top 3 participation. They're there because they are forward thinking and crazy good (and recently consistent - ala "competitive inertia"). They're there because they now personally understand the concept of being "raised up" above the din by the fans and they know it is positively palpable and needs to be stimulated with more of the same quality stuff. PR knows it too...they've been there, faltered a bit and are itching for another shot at it! Mason made his bones on this type of thinking and it doesn't take much imagination to see him taking the Scouts back into it...soon! It's #### exciting! Boston, Blue Stars and Troopers had a big taste last August and I assure you it was not a bad experience and a huge motivator for them to bring it up a notch (my guess is, their camps were electric)! As far as the rest of the field....bring it on! Join the raindeer games and surplant the G7, but you can't do it looking behind you.

Finally, it's illogical (and a bit insane) to imagine the "current" G7 don't care about the other corps in lower tiers and are of the mind to crush DCI and thin the field. Lose all but about 10 baseball teams and see what happens to baseball! :thumbup:

the Greedy7 are only marketing themselves though...

The lower guys are already trying to beat the Greedy7. That's what they do. Put out the best show that they can. There is no need to create the Greedy7 group. Do you think Madison/Troopers/BAC/BStars are going to suddenly "try harder" to beat the Greedy7 because of this? While at the same time the non Greedy7 will get less money from performances, and fewer performance opportunities?

Why do you think the Greedy7 care about the rest of the corps? They are trying to maximize the visibility and profitability of their own organizations, and it might work for a short time when they are the "best of the best", but then they will tank when the other corps start to die.

I think this is extremely wrong on so many levels. I mean, why take away the chance for the lower placing corps to have a whack at finishing with the top groups? It makes no sense. Less corps=less membership=less interest=death of the activity. Also, 2 of these corps didn't make finals within the last 11 years....and 2 of the corps that were in finals placed in the top 6-7 groups and are after this season either 7th or 10th. Things obviously change every season so this plan wouldn't work very well

Enjoy 2010, and than you will have life after drum corps. And based on the voting on this thread it's almost 4 to 1 against. I also know that the greedy 7 don't care what the fans think they know better and we will come around. I say screw them and don't support their crummy idea. Don't attend the YEA shows, but who is going to pay $53 for a 3 corps show on June 18th, you will be lucky to even see 3 complete shows. They are already testing us to see if enough of us will show up to support a G7 show. I say show up to boycott and hand out fliers to those who are still drinking the cool aide. If enough of us make enough noise this summer maybe it will stop this bad idea in its tracks. But I am afraid that drum corps is like a drug and people will still show up because they can’t stay away. And the G7 will say look x number of fans showed up for a 3 corps show so our idea is a good one. They showed up because who was their, and we know no body would have been their, if it was only Pioneer, Surf, and Colts. So it will come to pass and we will look back and remember the glory years.

Hi. I don't want to get too entrenched in the quagmire this whole "haves vs. have-nots" thing has created, just something I'd like to say. While it's definitely up to you where you spend your money (attending certain shows, buying souvies from a certain corps), I'd like to point out that those of us in "G7 corps" are participants, not administrators nor executives. Regardless of how any of us feel in regards to the proposed plan (for or against), we're also bystanders on this crazy ride, just like you, the fans (and many former marching members).

That being said... it'd be cool if you didn't boo us. We're going to be out there every night performing like every other steward of the activity (+1 to the guy on one of the first few pages who said that), and I just think it'd be a lot better for everyone if we kept the toxic feelings directed at people making the decisions away from those of us on the field.

That's all. Thanks.

Feel free to bloo though

:thumbup:

Edited by corpsnewbie

Host: East of the Rockies caller line you're on.

Caller: Hello ? Art ?

CLICK Buzzzzzzz

Host: First time caller line you're on the air

Caller Hey David, did you hear this stuff going on in drum corps ?

Host Yes caller, it's big news and further proof that the Illumaniti is in charge CLICK

Host Tin Foil Hat line you're on the air !

Caller: Hey, did you hear the rumor that Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED ?

Host It wasn't Humpty Dumpty, it was Scott Stewart, CLICK

Host: We now break away for a commercial

< Now, lets think about which corp sponsors are supporting/throwing their money behind the G7>

FOLLOW THE MONEY ( $1 to VKG ) :thumbup:

That's all. Thanks.

well, i'm sure you guys can't tell the difference between booing and blooing from the field, so you should be in good shape. I will probably not actively boo though, because I will probably enjoy your show a lot. But I might well take the intermission to be a dick to the souvie people.

the fact is, by marching in a corps that supports pulling away from the other groups in DCI, you are supporting that cause. You march where you march because you are happy with the direction that your corps is taking. You are not bystanders, but in fact active participants. If you all* showed up to spring training and refused to rehearse until your corps pulls their name out of this disaster, maybe something could be accomplished.

*not you specifically, but all members marching in the Greedy7

picture the headlines... "Greedy7 corps members stand with their brothers and sisters across the country against the tyranny of the few" The story will go on to say how the kids have reclaimed the activity that is about them, not some summer band directors who are trying to fill their own ego. It would be a day that would go down in the history of DCI. Countless staff and admin personnel have taken a step back to think about the bigger picture, and have realized that they were in the wrong. They are thankful that their students had the backbone and courage to stand up for what is right.

Edited by soccerguy315

1.) the fact is, by marching in a corps that supports pulling away from the other groups in DCI, you are supporting that cause. You march where you march because you are happy with the direction that your corps is taking. You are not bystanders, but in fact active participants. 2.) If you all* showed up to spring training and refused to rehearse until your corps pulls their name out of this disaster, maybe something could be accomplished.

*not you specifically, but all members marching in the Greedy7

In regards to the first, I was marching there way before this was made public. It's as much news to me as it is to everyone else.

In regards to the second... drastic, but potentially effective.

all they need is 8 votes to put the Greedy7 in their place.

and one can hope they get it