1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

NEW TOURING CONCEPT Presented By Seven DCI Corps For 2011

May 19, 2010

Background

Discussions have been underway since January to explore how Drum Corps International (“DCI”) might better serve the interests of all drum corps, including those groups who have a history of success for the past 20 years or more.

At the May 12-13 DCI Board of Directors meeting, Cadets Director George Hopkins, made a presentation on behalf of seven members of an ad-hoc caucus. DCI member corps were present to observe and participate in question/answer sessions that followed. Following the presentation and question/answer session, the DCI Board passed a motion requesting that the touring component of the plan be addressed in further detail at the next board meeting on July 16, along with a more in-depth financial analysis and supporting documentation. No action was taken at the meeting to adopt the proposal, in whole or in part.

Boy, talk about being to far into the forrest you can't see the trees. This will bring in no new fans. We have the fans we have. Doing a sped-up Superbowl extravaganza on wheels is not going to expand the activity's popularity, but it will certainly alienate a lot of existing fans.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling this the "Top 7" is like College Football having a "BCS National Champion". It is not based on fact, just some people's opinion.

Hey, Guess what??

These corps wouldn't need extra $ if they didn't do the extra traveling that they want to do.

Oops, sorry. Illegal use of logic.

Hey, Guess what??

These corps wouldn't need extra $ if they didn't do the extra traveling that they want to do.

Oops, sorry. Illegal use of logic.

I keep wondering where these "extra" shows are going to be at on the "magic" days and have three ideas:

1) No extra shows, G7 not going to be with the rest of DCI those days.

2) Extra show will be nearby, which could affect (OK decrease) the attendance at the DCI show

3) Extra show will not be close which means longer travel time. So higher bus bills, less time for rehearsal and any other costs associated with hours of travel.

In my exsperience of marching drum corps, the only reason I go to watch other shows after my show, is we are encouraged to. I veiw drum corps as a bond between memebers no matter who you march. So if I go watch shows to support the activity and cheer on my fellow corps mates. NOT bask and wallow in their glory and '' wish I was them ''.

LOL, I used to watch the rest of the corps after we were done because I actually like to watch Drum Corps live. Even bought the other corps pins (I 'm a collector), even the ones who kicked our ###.

"We're all in this together, I'm pulling for ya." <Red Green>

LOL, I used to watch the rest of the corps after we were done because I actually like to watch Drum Corps live. Even bought the other corps pins (I 'm a collector), even the ones who kicked our ###.

"We're all in this together, I'm pulling for ya." <Red Green>

We all have our reasons for watching the top corps. When I was in the lower-placing corps, I used to LOVE watching the top-placing corps because they were ####### good. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. A lot can be learned from watching all types of corps, no matter what the placement.

After what, 96 pages of this I almost forgot that everyone is a drum corps expert and knows more than every DCI director and the Director of DCI himself... oh yeah, and that Hopkins is the anti-christ... wow, almost forgot that, good thing I didn't.

We all have our reasons for watching the top corps. When I was in the lower-placing corps, I used to LOVE watching the top-placing corps because they were ####### good. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. A lot can be learned from watching all types of corps, no matter what the placement.

Nope, nothing wrong with it at all. Just wanted to bring up the idea (strange as it is to some people :thumbup: ) that some people just like like to watch corps and don't give a crap about placings. LOL, knew some people who couldn't watch other corps because they were the "enemy" or "don't watch or clap someone else while you're in uniform". :thumbup:

And I like that last sentence, one of my favorite shows in 1976 was from a group that only beat one corps all year. Somehow they presented a show pleasing to the crowd even if they were "as dirty as Hell" (quote from their DM). Funny as Hades listening to the crowd respond while hearing fracks and watching missed drill moves. Still trying to figure out how they did it. :laughing:

Just scanned the 20+ pages that poped up since I was sleeping and have an addition question. How does the proposal bring more shows to CA? If the corps are no where near the Left Coast during tour, they are not going to be able to pop over for a day to do a show and then haul butt back to the regular (DCI) tour. Did the G-7 find out how to get transporters working?

So, take all of you honks that marched a non G7 corps, because many of you are too emotional and biased to give it a reasonable look at the present moment, and look at the facts.

Be honest and raise your hand if every year you don't look at the schedule and go, "Oh wow, I am driving to blank middle of nowhere because BD/Crown/Cadets/Phantom are going to be there. And raise your hand if you are complaining, but are the ones who take one of the non G7 corps off to go eat so you can get back for one of the G7. If you are not raising your hand, you are lying.

People, take the emotion out of it and read the facts. Look clearly at what is being presented and take out the personal jealousy because your corps is not included and you don't like it. This kind of thing happens in everything that is American: food, sports, mainstream media, the music world, etc. It's the same reason why when Texas plays any school, it's always the biggest game of the year. Or Alabama or Ohio State......

How many of you would truly rather go see 16-8 at a show than the G7 corps any given year? Be honest, G7 wins in a landslide. Those corps are and have been consistently at the height of DCI for many years, some less than others, and it's fair to say that DCI would not have been nearly as successful without these groups. Let's face it, typically the best and brightest are involved with these groups and the level of design and detail is just flat out superior to the lower corps. I know it's not easy to hear for many of you, but it's the way the world works. It's no different than wanting a football playoff system by non BCS folks. Let the big boys battle it out and let the lesser teams feel good about themselves at the Johnson Tidy Bowl...

If you are against it, quit going to shows, don't listen to any of your old BD/SCV studio recordings, and eat hotdogs only after the 7:30 corps' plays... Let's see how many of you really take a stand when Crown or Phantom take the field this summer at your local show. Talk is cheap and just enjoy that we still have drum corps and be thankful for being able to go see amazing live musical experiences and a great youth activity for all.

And, some of you need to get off the computer and live a little bit, it's not THAT big of a deal... :thumbup:

peace...

There's a lot of opinion on DCP, but less arrogance. Yours is filled with arrogance.

You fail to include in your logic the future of the non E7 corps and the shows that support them. I do not.

FYI I contribute substantially through DCI Friends program and have for decades. I don't support just one corps. I want the whole activity to survive, not just the E7, no matter how much I enjoy their shows.

Where will my son march his first years if A) they allow WW in competition and B) if the only place to get into the activity is the E7? The answer: he won't. You #### right it's personal.

And who the heck are you to suggest I don't "live a little" bit? Sorry pal, it is a big deal to me.

Arrogance.