Here's hoping Blue Stars and BAC

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, so Glasmen would've had a few years in the G-list, and then bounced out again. Had it existed in 2001.

well it did on paper. see my post in the changes thread taken from the old RAMD post

It is true to some degree that most people predict Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, and Santa Clara to be in the top 4, as most years they are. There have been very few years that 3 of these 4 corps haven't been in the top 4, and if I am not mistaken without taking a closer look, there hasn't been a year since 1976 where at least 2 of these 4 corps haven't been in the top 4 together in finals.

The last decade has brought some changes in the top 6, with the droppings from Phantom and Madison, the most frequent other regulars in the top 6, other corps have managed to break in. Crown has now had a 2nd and 4th place finish, Bluecoats have placed 4th, and been in the top 6 several times. Glassmen and Boston have hit 5th, and Blue Knights have been in 5th place at quarterfinals. Crossmen have also finished top 6, although it has now been a little over a decade. And back in the early days of DCI, corps like Blue Stars, Troopers, and Spirit of Atlanta had all finished in the top 6 as well.

But the last 15 years, Blue Devils, Cadets and Cavaliers have been almost totally dominant. I think if more corps want to break into this group, maybe they should examine the paths that Crown and Bluecoats have taken. Both corps were out of the top 12 in the last 11 years(Bluecoats 99 and Crown 02), but managed to build themselves into a top 6(and higher) corps. They must be doing something right.

But I will ask, if the G7 corps weren't at finals next year, would DCI championships still be great? Yes. There are still 16 other corps in World Class that are awesome, as well as a bunch of great Open Class corps too. I just hope the finances would be there to support them.

Santa Clara hasn't been top 4 since 2004, and 2006 had top 4 consisting of Cavies, Phantom, BD, and Coats.

There have only been 8 different winners in DCI history, 2 of them no longer active. (Anaheim Kingsmen, Star of Indiana). one of the remaining 6 hasnt won since 1999, and hasnt won on its own since 1989 (SCV) another of the remaining 6 hasnt won since 1988 (Scouts), that leaves 4 corps hogging over 30 championships.....drum corps needs parody....nuff said.

There have only been 8 different winners in DCI history, 2 of them no longer active. (Anaheim Kingsmen, Star of Indiana). one of the remaining 6 hasnt won since 1999, and hasnt won on its own since 1989 (SCV) another of the remaining 6 hasnt won since 1988 (Scouts), that leaves 4 corps hogging over 30 championships.....drum corps needs parody....nuff said.

Marching band used to be drum corps parody, but now it seems that drum corps is becoming a parody of marching band.

But seriously, I hear what you're saying.

And it honestly feels like we're just about on the verge of the parity you seek. The distance from 1-5 is getting closer (honestly, in some other years, Crown or Cadets couldve brought back titles with those shows) , 1-8\9 or 1-12 as well (you can obviously tell the difference, but its less than it has been). With scouts loading up on Star, i'm sure they'll be in that top echelon soon as well. Thats what strikes me with the timing. Close the door on anyone else getting into that elite group before anyone else does what Crown\Bluecoats have done the last 5 years, especially with at least 4 corps looking to make moves (BAC, BS, Troopers, Madison come to mind with me)

Edited by AlexL

drum corps needs parody....nuff said.

How do you propose to implement parity? A draft? Salary caps on instructors? How do you tell a corps that's excelling that they are excelling too much and others must catch up?

No corps is told how to excel. Each is free to decide how it shall do so. Along the way, some corps that were way down the competitive ladder figured it out and are now on top. No one granted them that status; they earned it. Other corps down the ladder now are capable of moving up with the right combination of any number of factors. What do you tell those corps once they reach the top?

This reminds me of the Monty Python sketch about Dennis Moore, the Robin Hood-type character who stole lupins from the rich and then gave the flowers to the poor. Eventually, the rich became lupin poor and the poor became lupin rich, and in effect, he then was stealing from the poor to give to the rich.

Please note I am not commenting on the G7 proposal, nor will I, despite a few e-mails encouraging me to do so. A) Life is too short. B) Hurry, June.

Edited by Michael Boo

And it honestly feels like we're just about on the verge of the parity you seek. The distance from 1-5 is getting closer (honestly, in some other years, Crown or Cadets couldve brought back titles with those shows) , 1-8f\9 or 1-12 as well (you can obviously tell the difference, but its less than it has been). With scouts loading up on Star, i'm sure they'll be in that top echelon soon as well. Thats what strikes me with the timing. Close the door on anyone else getting into that elite group before anyone else does what Crown\Bluecoats have done the last 5 years, especially with at least 4 corps looking to make moves (BAC, BS, Troopers, Madison come to mind with me)

Just curious what do you have against Glassmen?

Just curious what do you have against Glassmen?

Where do you get that i have something against glassmen? The 4 corps i mentioned as 'upwardly mobile' in that post have either already made clear upward steps the last few years:

BS- D2\3 --> 8th in the last few years

BAC- 10th to 7th in 09

Troopers- going from inactive in 06 to finals in 09

Scouts- havent made the upward steps on the field yet, but have put together a loaded staff this offseason

As for glassmen.... 11, 11, 11, 11, 10. Nothing against them, they just dont really fit into the talk of corps making big strides upward based on that. That said, i have enjoyed their shows more the past few years.

WOW! In this tread there is a lot of hate and spite from individual posters that try to "claim" "neutrality" in the name of fairness. True colors huh? :thumbup:

At the end of the day why try to create or harbor so much animosity? This is Drum Corp. Druuuuuuum Coooooooorp...

Agree or not, take it for what it's worth. See where the proposal goes, or better yet, contact mulitple corps and DCI and express your feelings as an alumni, fan or member. Maybe, just maybe their response will convince you (or help convince them on way or the other). But at the end of the day the spite and negativity towards corps (and in respect, the youth that march those corps) accomplishes nothing and even devalues the point you are trying to make. Remember, this is Drum Corp... Not world politics, not the apocalypse, but Druuuuuuum Coooooooorp...