Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

So I've been kind of a quiet observer in all of this and not really sharing my opinions until we had the facts but now we have the facts screaming in our faces and I can absolutely say that this does not look pretty. I am willing to admit that I have a bias towards the Non G7 corps (just read my sig it really doesn't need an explanation) but how anyone can claim that this is anything but a power grab and greed is beyond me. IMO this just looks like the first shots fired in a DCI civil war as someone else stated earlier.

Oh and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at this.....I mean really? "THE QUESTION IS NOT WHAT BAND PEOPLE CAN PAY FOR … it is WHAT CAN WE DO for BAND PEOPLE !!!" Page 22.

OK, how is this greedy. I've heard this countless times and I grow weary of just throwing out the word...these guys are just greedy. I don't believe it.

What I do believe is the corps directors, following the season...got a chance to look at the books of DCI...you know...the stuff they have little time for during the season because they are each minding their own stores at that point.

1. They weren't happy with what they were seeing. Please trust me here, because I know a few of these guys and a few others outside the "gang of" like the director of Pioneer, yeah I saw it listed.

2. I think they made some pretty tough decisions. Namely, that DCI as a management structure was hemorrhaging money. All they had made in 2006 and 2007 had disappeared. They aren't going to blame themselves, so the "direction of DCI's management" (read Dan Acheson) is called into question.

3. With DCI marketing and selling stuff with corps' names on it and audio/video products with the corps performances on them, the corps in question want a new relationship. Actually, they want everyone to have a new relationship with marketing. No selling against the corps by DCI. It's really much of a return back to the old days.

4. I actually see the structure as stated, having paths to climb for corps who chose to do so. The simple message...GET BETTER. No two corps better demonstrate this than do Crown and Blue Stars. Yes, one in and one out of the G7, but Blue Stars have made huge strides in the past 6-7 years. Some corps simply make getting better a phrase, a motto, but, sadly are unable to make huge efforts to make it so for a variety of reasons, one of which is that most of the alumni of some corps have a better corps where they finished their career, got their ring, etc.

5. There are two factors contributing to all this angst. First, the mouthpiece. Don't you think that's a calculated determination? "Hey, let's get Hop to do this." And, Hop doesn't mind. He's been controversial since forever. But, Hop is one of seven, all in agreement. The next factor, I believe too many people, who are rabid enough to post here frequently...(yes, me included)...were thinking everything was fine when, in fact, some pretty massive miscalculations took place. 2006...Madison...good crowds. 2007....Pasadena....massive crowds. The trend was already starting though...and remember this is prior to the recession...regional shows had some hit/miss performance...remember Murphfreesboro 2007? So, then the recession begins in 2007-08 and 09 as DCI bands (all puns...you can have them) with Indy. Indy is late. Then Indy is crap. 15,500 paid at finals. Over 2000 fewer then the ad hoc Bloomington and more than 12,000 fewer than Pasadena.

So, revenue is headed to the equator while expenses were flat or even slightly rising. Now, we have a high 5 figure (perhaps low 6 figure) Exec. Dir. and these 7 guys look at their pocketbooks and their corps' take of DCIs....wait for it....profits. I bet the books were so bad last year, this 10+ year old idea was resurrected to take control of the future for the corps who think they are the featured performers.

Maybe the sky is falling....maybe not. I tend to think we've been headed this way off and on since the late 1980s. We've had a series of peaks and valleys, the peaks smaller or at least less predictable, the valleys, definitely deeper.

6. I like to predict. So, here goes. I think today's Madison corps could quickly assume an 8th spot when offered. I see them more ready than Blue Stars and Boston with their recent forward momentum. Boston made great strides on the field last season at the same time the Blue Stars took a step back in my mind. I would consider them both even at this point for an opportunity to move up.

7. Will Hickman and Orwell make statements soon? These will be very telling if they come forward.

Well, that's my current list.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI has spent almost 10 years shifting their marketing strategy to appeal to younger, marching-band type kids. (Remember Dan's anti-RAMD statements?) It reduced the average fan age from 40-something to 30-something, yet attendance was mostly flat (with a slight upward trend), and while audition #'s are up from the late 90's / early 2000's by anecdotal evidence, there are fewer corps. Hardly a rousing success.

So now, they're proposing going whole hog rather than dribs and drabs at it, but nowhere in the proposal does it try to sell, or honestly even explain, how marketing to these band kids exclusively will increase fan / participant numbers. It's the South Park Underpants Gnome Theory. "Step One - market to band kids... Step 2... ... Step 3 - more fans and marchers!" Where are the outcome studies? The surveys? Anything beyond, "take this on faith, we know what we're doing?" Not to put too fine a point on it... but none of these guys are really band directors anymore - do you *really* know what's going to attract the kids?

It just seems a very strange and chaotic way to run a $10-M/year business.

Now, there are actually a great deal of facts and ideas in there that I think are great - I think I would actually prefer to see the top WC corps as a modern-day barnstorming tour with a reduced emphasis on competition. I'm just not sold on the behind-the-scenes aspect of it at all.

Mike

Did Blast increase the drum corps audience?

You're asking me? I have no idea.

Now, if you ask me if the crab cakes are really good in Baltimore, then my answer is yes.

Fran

7. Will Hickman and Orwell make statements soon?

Hmmm. :tongue:

You think DCI or Drum Corps has ever been like the NBA, NHL or MLB ive been around along time and have very deep roots in this activity and NO we are a spec compared to what you mentioned. To the average person we are just glorified band geeks.....like that or not its true. But I am proud of it hehehehe

Then maybe that's the problem. Actually, I'd argue that any activity that requires you to pay $3k to work 16 hour days all summer is by very definition not financially sustainable.

You're asking me? I have no idea.

Now, if you ask me if the crab cakes are really good in Baltimore, then my answer is yes.

Fran

I don't know either, but if you believe the G7, it didn't cuz the sky is falling and they have to do something - or else.

DCI has spent almost 10 years shifting their marketing strategy to appeal to younger, marching-band type kids. (Remember Dan's anti-RAMD statements?) It reduced the average fan age from 40-something to 30-something, yet attendance was mostly flat (with a slight upward trend), and while audition #'s are up from the late 90's / early 2000's by anecdotal evidence, there are fewer corps. Hardly a rousing success.

So now, they're proposing going whole hog rather than dribs and drabs at it, but nowhere in the proposal does it try to sell, or honestly even explain, how marketing to these band kids exclusively will increase fan / participant numbers. It's the South Park Underpants Gnome Theory. "Step One - market to band kids... Step 2... ... Step 3 - more fans and marchers!" Where are the outcome studies? The surveys? Anything beyond, "take this on faith, we know what we're doing?" Not to put too fine a point on it... but none of these guys are really band directors anymore - do you *really* know what's going to attract the kids?

It just seems a very strange and chaotic way to run a $10-M/year business.

Now, there are actually a great deal of facts and ideas in there that I think are great - I think I would actually prefer to see the top WC corps as a modern-day barnstorming tour with a reduced emphasis on competition. I'm just not sold on the behind-the-scenes aspect of it at all.

Mike

This deserves a comment. YEA! is also a band competition management company. Does anyone else see the connection? And I would suggest this is where the supporting data is coming from.

One could suggest that this is another jewel in the YEA! crown, but there's no denying that "show management" at YEA! is no coincidence.

EDIT: fixed "company"

Edited by garfield

Weren't 11 1/2 minutes, 150 members, electronics, synths, and fake smoke and Miley Cyrus at finals, supposed to help fix those things?

We mustn't forget that it were these bright ideas that were brought to us by the same 1 or 2 people behind the current proposal.

Not everything can be blamed on the economy.

Go look at YEA!s 990 financial reporting and you'll get a clearer picture of where this idea originates, especially if you compare it to the other corps.

The economy may have been tough since 2008, but it was the leadership of these same corps that got us to this point.

George wants the "new DCI" to have a nest egg of half-a-million in five years. Go look at DCI's 990 and see how much they've got now.

Isn't there a proposed restructuring of the DCI board coming up?

It will never in a million years happen, but what if they just voted out the 1 or 2 that have been changing everything so much?

I have looked at their 2008 990. I assume that it's deteriorated since then, hence the G7's assertion of a financial crisis. If Hop wants them to build a $500K nest egg, and they had roughly $550K in liquid assets at the end of 2008, then something must have happened to a lot of those assets in 2009, right?

Dang that was an expensive curtain........... :tongue: