Absolute LOUDEST show of all time !

1st place - SOA '80 Birmingham Finals

2nd place - SOA '80 Allentown Finals

Was lucky enough to on be on tour in '80 and see/hear prelims and finals performances for both shows.

Seen everything else since and no other corps is even close to the Allentown perfromance let alone Birmingham.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* PLEASE re-read my original response. The question was asked "Spirit 80 always shows up in this topic....what about Spirit 79 ? Wasn't that a monster corps sound as well."

I did not use the word "just" in my original response as "in addition to" losing Jim....it was meant as a comparative...The emotion of the corps losing Jim -- which I know occurred in 1980...and have knows for decades -- is what drove the corps over the top emotionally.

The 79 corps did not suffer through that loss, so they didn't have that kind of an emotional push.

It should not be THAT hard to realize I was comparing the 79 corps under normal circumstances to the 80 corps losing Jim. If someone said he didn't just fall off the turnip truck, who would think of that as something indicating something ELSE had happened?

I totally understood, was gonna respond in your defense, and the figured "Why bother" ....if they cant figure out someone that marched BD 84 brass doesnt know about the life and times of Jim Ott....again, why bother !

G

I guess the 3 of us are stupid then. People bash the cavies especially hard in the 2000s for being quiet, and while I would have picked 2006 for a joke, I found it pretty obvious no sane person would think 2002 was the loudest show in history.

There was no evidence of humour, sarcasm, or joking around in the response. it was a simple sentence.

G

1st place - SOA '80 Birmingham Finals

2nd place - SOA '80 Allentown Finals

Was lucky enough to on be on tour in '80 and see/hear prelims and finals performances for both shows.

Seen everything else since and no other corps is even close to the Allentown perfromance let alone Birmingham.

The significance there is that to be considered that loud in Allentown, an open air field with grass and sloping stadium seating (a combination that just eats up the sound) is amazing.

Spirit did loud like very few ohers. Good loud too - whcih I think is another thread.

Spirit 1980 was the loudest ever.

Glassmen 1998 was the last really good really loud hornline. Then Bbs happened.

*sigh* PLEASE re-read my original response. The question was asked "Spirit 80 always shows up in this topic....what about Spirit 79 ? Wasn't that a monster corps sound as well."

I did not use the word "just" in my original response as "in addition to" losing Jim....it was meant as a comparative...The emotion of the corps losing Jim -- which I know occurred in 1980...and have knows for decades -- is what drove the corps over the top emotionally.

The 79 corps did not suffer through that loss, so they didn't have that kind of an emotional push.

It should not be THAT hard to realize I was comparing the 79 corps under normal circumstances to the 80 corps losing Jim. If someone said he didn't just fall off the turnip truck, who would think of that as something indicating something ELSE had happened?

I got it '84BDsop. It was clear to me.

OK-I see what you are saying, but I think it could be red two ways

79 was no cake walk for them - IIRC they lost most equipment in a truck accident in CA.

Yes on the truck accident, no on losing the gear. The total cost of equipment loss was $1900. It was the same accident where Crossmen's busses pulled up behind them and helped clean up the mess, this contributing to the close bond between the 2 that exists to this day.

http://drumcorpswiki.com/Spirit_Drum_and_B..._Truck_Incident

Keep reading after that as well....some good stuff.

OK-I see what you are saying, but I think it could be red two ways

79 was no cake walk for them - IIRC they lost most equipment in a truck accident in CA.

And "red" can be used a multitude of ways....... :thumbup:

G

Knowing it could be "red" in two ways, that falls on you. It was written with someone of drum corps background and knowledge and was stated rather matter of fact....I didnt misunderstand at all. To try and correct or point out what wasnt done wrong in the first place is pretty silly.