New Unis

We need to see how this (Spirit's Uniform) looks on the field. Everyone was saying how bad CC's uniform was up close or one on one, but it works great on the field. The more and more I look at Spirit's new uniform the more I like it. It is very different but it is a new Spirit.

Okay, opinion time.

I would love for Spirit to go back to the whole "front and center delta" kind of uniform. I think just about everybody on here would like to see that. Heck, that was the basis for pretty much every single uniform they've worn up until 2007. So why don't they go back to it? Personally, I think it's because they're looking for something that's visually effective, and unfortunately, delta-on-the-chest doesn't achieve this. Look at the '03 uniforms, for instance. It's cool that there's a big giant delta right there, but the uniform as a whole makes all the members look maybe 5 feet tall. It seemed very "clunky" to me, if that makes sense.

While I don't know how long these new uniforms will be used (wouldn't mind if they stuck around for a few years, though - I do like them), I really hope that they eventually find a way to make the delta front-and-center again in a way that will also be visually effective. If they could remake the 1980 uniform with better materials (and maybe streamline it a little, but not so much that it starts to look like the '03 or '06 uniforms, for instance), I think that would be great...but at the same time, we also have to remember that this is a new Spirit. They're trying to take the corps in a new direction, and so they need a uniform that will represent that well...and an old-school uniform like the 1980 one doesn't do that. They need something modern, and this is about as modern as you can get. I know they're not trying to get rid of the delta - if they really wanted to, they would have done so already. But in these modern days of drum corps, there's so much more emphasis placed on the visual aspect of a show, and corps need a uniform that will help them look better from the stands.

Again, I don't know if this will make sense to anybody here. Sometimes I have trouble expressing my opinion exactly the way I'd like to, so apologies if some of this comes off as awkward or not making sense. But that's personally how I feel about the idea behind Spirit's new uniforms (both the '07 one and this one). Go go gadget civil discussion?

Well said. I completely agree with you. I marched 2002 and 2003 and the big delta while it was classy and reflective of our history....it really isn't visually effective. I see glimpses of myself on the video and think am I really that short??? LOL I am kinna short....but I looked very short and pudgy. LOL The alteration in the beginning of the 03 season helped out alot....the jackets were about half of 02. Then we went to the new uni with the white delta.....I loved these BUT it was back to the same long jacket making us look short and not visually effective.

The new uniform is quite a departure...but I like it more and more everytime I look at it. It is a little BOAish BUT at this point I really don't care about that. As long as the members out there are enjoying their performance and I get to see it and be entertained that is all I care about. KSA!! Spirit.

I like the original delta I think this one 27528_175366480292_7748_n.jpg Looks alot like reader_icon_special.jpg

We need to see how this (Spirit's Uniform) looks on the field. Everyone was saying how bad CC's uniform was up close or one on one, but it works great on the field. The more and more I look at Spirit's new uniform the more I like it. It is very different but it is a new Spirit.

To get the full effect of the Spirit's new uniform, you need to see it on the field with the new white and silver shako and tall white plume.

The Delta on the jacket was drawn/designed by an alumni of the corps. It is gorgeous up close!

I kinda like it. But GLASSMAN keeps popping into my head. I don't know why.

This is honestly the first uniform I have ever seen that has confused me. I honestly don't know what to think about this uniform. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it that much each either. But it isn't really just ok. My brain hurts.

Terrible. Just terrible.

I kinda like it. But GLASSMAN keeps popping into my head. I don't know why.

Ah, my friend, you've hit the nail on the head without even meaning to. Glassmen, Spirit, Phantom (to an extent) and Blue Stars have uniforms that reflect current visual emphasis.

Dial back 25 years, and the uniform trends where those that turned the performer into a mobile dot. The Cavaliers, for instance, designed their uniform (intentionally or not) to reduce the performer to a mobile dot on the field, with white hat, wings and gauntlets. Madison's uniforms generated the same effect. Spirit's giant deltas, SCV's long coats - everything made the horns / drums into highly-visible pieces of a drill set.

In the late 90's / early 2000's, as WGI exploded across the country and more and more dance influence was felt in both guard and percussion, the hornline's individual responsibilities expanded to include more body movement and dance-type moves, and in some ways, this now has as much emphasis as the drill. The old-style "block" uniforms now give way to assymetrical, slimming costumes that accentuate the figure and emphasize movement. Symmetry connotates width, and that's against the grain for these unis. Glassmen and Spirit both embrace shoulder assymetry. Phantom ditched the wings as well as the more bulky lines of the baldric. Blue Stars are both ditching the wings and slimming the lines of the jackets.

Sorry, I'll get off of my soapbox. But that's why I think you're seeing Glassmen when you see Spirit. :smile:

Mike