Charleston, WV

good review, but God do you get overly sensitive about WV jokes. it's not like we are talking the hills of Kentucky :laughing:

Help keep West Virginia clean.

Throw your trash in Ohio.

Everyone should just be glad that they found a group of people with enough fingers and toes that could add up all the captions and get a total

Do you know why West Virginians use a tooth brush?

To brush their tooth.

+++

Back to the subject:

I LOVE not having judges on their field. I come to watch drum corps, not to watch judges walk around after the corps has come to a halt. I know I'm in the minority on this, and that's OK.

Normally I'm not a big numbers guy, but in this case I'd also like to check recaps, to see if I'm the only one who was totally blown away by Bluecoats battery. It's a show in itself.

I watched specifically just the battery of Coats and PR, the last two corps. PR drums stood around A LOT, while Coats were flying all over with spectacular stick tricks CONSTANTLY. I honestly don't know where they could put more STUFF into the notes they were drumming.

I'm not wrong about this.

Edited by wvu80

The sponsors pay the same price whether it is a 5 judge or 8 judge panel. DCI saves the $$, not the sponsors.
Hmm, ok. I'm not sure it was like that even a few years ago, but so be it.

It would be nice if some show sponsor types could enlighten us!

I heard Phantom got a 15.9 in drums, Bluecoats and Cadets had a 15.6, and Crown got a 15.5.

i had also heard that Regiment had won drums, which would disprove the posters who have said that their drums are weak. when i read that i thought, how in the world would Paul Rennick allow them to be so bad? i can't ever imagine in a million years that that would happen. but hey, anything is possible! i really wish the recaps would come up to prove it one way or the other!

Teal Sound: My first view of this corps. They had a nice complete show, big sound. I was less than impressed with the two guitar players, one lead, one bass. Then there were two HUGE Korg keyboards right behind them, with a drum set in the same area. I found the lead guitar playing distracting to an otherwise nice show.

And I bet Teal gets dinged for something I really liked whic is great mello section. They could play, and had a beautiful sound, like the Cadets of the 80's.

Spirit: OK show, loud horns. They played great songs, but it certainly did not sound like the Blue Devils.

With the little Delta on the breast of the jacket, from the stands they looked like members of Star Fleet academy. They were conspicuous marching about a dozen or so horn holes, which made the drill look dirty.

Glassmen: Got the first standing 'O of the night (from myself as well). This is the loudest Glassmen I have ever heard, with nice power and good sounding horn line.

I've already pounded the male guard for wearing teal tights and skirts, so I think I'll leave that one alone.

Ditto for the screaming Spirit staff member. He looked young, he just needs to see how the Big Boys act and let his corps be the center of attention, not himself.

And just so I can end on a positive note, I loved the sound person for Spirit. She was wearing a black outfit, not shorts and flip-flips as a previous corps' sound person did. She looked very professional and blended into the background without drawing undue attention to the electronics or the sound board.

Good stuff. :)

i had also heard that Regiment had won drums, which would disprove the posters who have said that their drums are weak. when i read that i thought, how in the world would Paul Rennick allow them to be so bad? i can't ever imagine in a million years that that would happen. but hey, anything is possible! i really wish the recaps would come up to prove it one way or the other!

I wouldn't be surprised. Phantom never has a bad drumline. Never.

I wouldn't be surprised. Phantom never has a bad drumline. Never.

uh yeah. would you like a list of years?