Charleston, WV

You get outraged at the most ridiculous things. On a forum full of people looking for ridiculous things to be outraged about you might be the worst of the lot.

I know it's sometimes hard to understand that the lack of a uniform judging system system in place for early season shows is a " ridiculous thing" to be concerned about. It's called conditioning, imo. Some apparently have been conditioned to accept no judges in competition or some sections as a justifiable " compromise " due to " travel costs " or whatever.

But look,some of the fans on this thread are using caps now because we don't have the recaps on what we've all agreed are meaningless scores and placements without the full judging panels. THAT's not being " ridiculous "... so lets bring on the meaningless scores, placements to discuss now until we " get real " later on with the judging panels and the " REAL competition. THAT seems to make sense to some. So why not ? I'm ok if some fans want to discuss the meaningless. We've done it before. It's just a discussion board, and we discuss all sorts of ridiculous things... including predictions of placements for August before the snow flys in November or camps have even begun. There's no harm in it. My discussion on the need for a full judging panel in June seems no more " ridiculous " than a lot of the things we discuss on DCP all the time. But if you don't like my observations, or thread discussion, no problem... just scroll on to a thread discussion that is more in line with your personal tastes. No big deal.

Edited by BRASSO

YIKES! count me as one who has never been and has no desire to go there either!

so i guess asking for a review is pretty much futile.

i know several people who were there, but don't post on DCP. Then again, they should be on their way back which means they'll be home tonight :laughing:

Good question. If there are full judging panels at some shows in June, but not in others.... some Corps in competition definately got ripped off in that deal compared to others in competition in a similar time frame at other June locations..

DCI should have uniform judging standards. Wasn't that the main point of the formation of DCI all along ? " Uniform judging standards " ? Either DCI should full judging Panels in June, or don't have competitions at all anywhere in the Country in the month of June. Having full judging panels in one venue, and not full judging panels in others is as absurd as can be.

Do Corps REALLY need to compete over 30 times in 6 weeks ? Heck, if the marchers can't get a full judging panel in those 30, then just have the Corps do 20 competitions and give them a full panel at those 20.

I for one think the smaller panel early at non regional shows is a good thing.

everyone has field dirt. that's a no brainer. at that point in the year, you want to make sure the big picture is working while you address the field stuff as you go. By July, you should already have a good idea of big changes to come, and as you work them in, boom thats when the field judges come out to start addressing the little things.

I'm a drummer, and i'm thrilled the drum guy is still in action, but I think more brass representation upstairs besides ensemble music would be the only change needed

I thought your idea of having no judges for a performance caption where you thought it was "ok " so long as there were 30-35 shows in 6 weeks and fans were seeing shows and Corps adults were making a buck, etc was a joke. But as I can see, you ( an some others ) are not joking. You ARE serious. You think it's fine.

DCI was founded on the fundamental principle that " there needs to be uniform judging standards". The principle was layed out so that a Corps in competition anywhere in the country would be afforded the same number of judges, the same judging captions, the same interpretations and guidelines on those captions,... and that this would take place from the very first competitiion to the last competition. Having a uniform judging system standard implementation was EXTREMELY important to the founders.

We have now reached a point in time where there is no such thing as a " uniform judging system" in so far as it relates to DCI competition. Wehave Corps judged in June now that have little to no resemblance at all to how these Corps will be judged later in the season.. not in judging number... not in judged captons.... not in interpretation of judging captions.... not in how the the various sections will be weighted n scoring, and so forth.

Now, this is NOT a uniform judging system. And it does not matter if 5 or 50 people try and spin it that it is... and that it's " ok ". But if others think having NO judge judging a caption that later in the season will have a separate judge is a consistent and uniform judging system for the Drum Corps, then they might as well be convincing you ( and others ) that pigs can fly.

there are uniform standards.

you have small panel standards and large panel standards.

DCA has this as well, and so do some band associations.

the problem is you don't like them. And, in these economic times, it's essential to have in order to keep show sponsors. you lose show sponsors, and corps lose money

until you get to Huntington. :laughing:

p.s. at least we can properly spell Jeff Foxworthy. :blink:

don't even get me started you

I know it's sometimes hard to understand that the lack of a uniform judging system system in place for early season shows is a " ridiculous thing" to be concerned about. It's called conditioning, imo. Some apparently have been conditioned to accept no judges in competition or some sections as a justifiable " compromise " due to " travel costs " or whatever.

But look,some of the fans on this thread are using caps now because we don't have the recaps on what we've all agreed are meaningless scores and placements without the full judging panels. THAT's not being " ridiculous "... so lets bring on the meaningless scores, placements to discuss now until we " get real " later on with the judging panels and the " REAL competition. THAT seems to make sense to some. So why not ? I'm ok if some fans want to discuss the meaningless. We've done it before. It's just a discussion board, and we discuss all sorts of ridiculous things... including predictions of placements for August before the snow flys in November or camps have even begun. There's no harm in it. My discussion on the need for a full judging panel in June seems no more " ridiculous " than a lot of the things we discuss on DCP all the time. But if you don't like my observations, or thread discussion, no problem... just scroll on to a thread discussion that is more in line with your personal tastes. No big deal.

Dude, it's very clear you don't like the reduced judging panel which is totally your opinion and you are entitled to it. What seems odd is that you continue arguing with others who don't think its a problem and trying to imply they somehow just don't "get it". If you truly feel it is a valid point of view to have their opinion, why do you keep responding everytime someone disagrees with you? It just looks like you are either so self-centered that you feel your opinion is the only one that matters or that you are somehow trying to win by having the last word.

I can't for the life of me see how this has somehow lessened the corps experience or that corps at finals don't do as well because they didn't have the extra judging feedback early on. The shows seems to be as high quality or even higher than they have in the past. I certainly don't feel short-changed as a fan by DCI because of the reduced panel. DCI is a business and myself along with many others haven't been happy with the way everything is managed (I am still disenchanted with the whole Indy finals thing). Having said that, I am not on the board, I do not have the details on why every decision is made and until I'm willing to either make such a huge donation I can change it or get a job for DCI I'm gonna be content living with their decisions.

Good God this is a catty thread!

Which is just another way of saying, "Hi! You've just logged on to DCP!"

:laughing: