Audience coaxing/"attitude"

hmmmmm..i guess I think its kind of cheezy .

I agree.

However, the only time I like cheezy clapping is during Zorba the Greek :sad:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The end of Bluecoats show last year was not a gesture asking for applause. The guard brought in the "main character" to their imaginative cloud-person world (for large lack of better term), then slowly began spreading through the entire corps, when at the end finally converting the drum major; the ending gesture was supposed to be a sort of symbolic invitation towards the audience to join their "world". I guess it would be pretty easy to misunderstand, though.

Wow - seriously?

:sad:

Anyways, my favorite all-time bit of crowd interaction was in Magic of Orlando's Mardi Gras show in '97, when the DM's actually *sang* the melody to the audience, and got them singing along. It was cheesy, sure, but that 90-second segment felt like 3 minutes and left the audience wishing it was even longer.

I think the problem is when you're trying to script a "spontaneous" moment - unless you massage it exactly right so it really *is* the crowd emotional high, then it's going to bomb horribly. If anything, I'd suggest adding the "come on" hands near the end of the season if you're already getting an ovation in the same spot each time, then tack it on the end and try to take it higher.

Mike

I am indifferent toward it, in the sense that I don’t make noise because of it but it doesn’t bother me. Two of my best crops watching friends hate it. My pet peeve might be related, the "fake" drum major bow (before the end of the show). I haven’t seen it much lately. Colts did it two years ago and it was years before that when Xmen did it. You don’t get my standing-O at the end if you fake me out of one 1 minute before…

The end of Bluecoats show last year was not a gesture asking for applause. The guard brought in the "main character" to their imaginative cloud-person world (for large lack of better term), then slowly began spreading through the entire corps, when at the end finally converting the drum major; the ending gesture was supposed to be a sort of symbolic invitation towards the audience to join their "world". I guess it would be pretty easy to misunderstand, though.

SNOZBERRIES.png

Well, since the cost of tickets and bad seating has risen the number of attendees who have never seen or participated in the activity has risen. And they NEED the 'APPLAUSE' sign to be turned on and off for them.

:tongue:

Soon they'll add laugh tracks.

Why do drum corps try to tell stories again?

Betrayal.jpg

Because sometimes they are awesome.

Edited by megadrive

Betrayal.jpg

Because sometimes they are awesome.

. . .you win the thread, my friend.

It's not often that it happens, but when it does it transcends being just music, theme, and visual and becomes more than the sum of its parts. :tongue: