Written in response to a fundraising email from Phantom Regiment

I have a similar story (although it was before I was born) about a company I used to work for.

Rohr in San Diego (Chula Vista, actaully) is an aircraft subcontractor...when i worked there they were a Fortune 500 company, so you know that means big biz....but back in the mid-late 50s, people didn't think so (smaller company at the time).

The city fathers of Chula Vista made it known they didn't think Rohr had any significant impact on the economy of the city....this ticked off company founder and CEO Fred Rohr (historical note....Fred built the fuel tanks for the Spirit of St. Louis).

To get the point across that his company DID have an impact....here's the story I found on a Rohr history page.

"In order to prove the company's role in the economic and civic life of Chula Vista, a plan was devised to pay all employees in silver dollars. After considerable negotiation, the company obtained $360,000 in silver dollars from the San Francisco mint. The silver was transported from San Francisco by armored cars. The Rohr and bank employees who were selected to count and stack the silver dollars were pledged to secrecy. The silver dollars

were put into individual canvas bags for distribution on Dec. 12, 1954, a regular payday. On that afternoon, trackless - trains small low wheeled flat trucks, hitched together and drawn by an electric tractor - wound through the plant, unhitching a truck in each department, from which the payroll was distributed in the form of bags of silver in lieu of paychecks. Employees were delighted and, rattling their coins, headed for home, or, as it appeared later for the Chula Vista shopping areas. Chula Vista merchants soon felt the full impact of 12 tons of silver dollars. The Story of a Corporation states, “their cash registers became so heavily laden that the drawers would not open as usual and the overflow was put into buckets. Even the churches did not escape the silver avalanche. The long handles of the collection baskets were bent and reached the breaking point."

In the early90s I related this story to San Diego Mayor, Maureen O'Connor, after one to many times of finding out that Sacramento thought Southern California stopped at the southern Orange County line, suggesting that the city should withhold their share of state taxes for a bit to drive the point home. She had never heard she tale and stated that my idea was probably illegal....but she liked the thought!

If you'd suggested it to Roger Hedgecock, he probably would have tried it and kept a good portion of it as skim ... :tongue:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo Tom.... you should post it in the "Talking With Your Pocketbook" Thread.

As for 84BDSops story, that was tried a few places in the 90s when Military Bases were closed. Then it was paper money with a special stamp on it. Didn't keep the bases open but made the businesses appreciate how much the base workers were pumping into the community.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a similar story (although it was before I was born) about a company I used to work for.

Rohr in San Diego (Chula Vista, actaully) is an aircraft subcontractor...when i worked there they were a Fortune 500 company, so you know that means big biz....but back in the mid-late 50s, people didn't think so (smaller company at the time).

The city fathers of Chula Vista made it known they didn't think Rohr had any significant impact on the economy of the city....this ticked off company founder and CEO Fred Rohr (historical note....Fred built the fuel tanks for the Spirit of St. Louis).

To get the point across that his company DID have an impact....here's the story I found on a Rohr history page.

"In order to prove the company's role in the economic and civic life of Chula Vista, a plan was devised to pay all employees in silver dollars. After considerable negotiation, the company obtained $360,000 in silver dollars from the San Francisco mint. The silver was transported from San Francisco by armored cars. The Rohr and bank employees who were selected to count and stack the silver dollars were pledged to secrecy. The silver dollars

were put into individual canvas bags for distribution on Dec. 12, 1954, a regular payday. On that afternoon, trackless - trains small low wheeled flat trucks, hitched together and drawn by an electric tractor - wound through the plant, unhitching a truck in each department, from which the payroll was distributed in the form of bags of silver in lieu of paychecks. Employees were delighted and, rattling their coins, headed for home, or, as it appeared later for the Chula Vista shopping areas. Chula Vista merchants soon felt the full impact of 12 tons of silver dollars. The Story of a Corporation states, “their cash registers became so heavily laden that the drawers would not open as usual and the overflow was put into buckets. Even the churches did not escape the silver avalanche. The long handles of the collection baskets were bent and reached the breaking point."

In the early90s I related this story to San Diego Mayor, Maureen O'Connor, after one to many times of finding out that Sacramento thought Southern California stopped at the southern Orange County line, suggesting that the city should withhold their share of state taxes for a bit to drive the point home. She had never heard she tale and stated that my idea was probably illegal....but she liked the thought!

Wait until Texas tries that with gas taxes! Texas is a donor State...has been for many years. Meaning, for every dollar we pay in gas taxes, the State only sees 85-cents in Federal spending on roads. This compared with States like Minnesota (they of the collapsing bridge!) who typically receive in excess of $2 in funding for every dollar paid in gas taxes!

I just suggest that the State Comptroller needs to begin collecting Federal gas taxes and allocating them themselves. Cuz I can point to MANY quotes from the Constitutional Convention where those old, dead, white guys said things like, "We do not want taxation across State lines!"

Same point, sort of. Hope I don't hijack the thread. Ignore me! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got in a fund raising request e-mail from George asking all Maroon and Gold Club

members to help the corps out to rasie an additional $50,000.00.

Politely told him that, based on the path the G7 wanted to take,I wouldn't consider

contributing to The Cadets or any G7 corps at this time.

Maybe if the G7 realize that they could be hit,where it hurts,in the pocketbook,

including by their core supporters they'll see this whole G7-WSoDC isn't such a smart

idea.

I just got in a fund raising request e-mail from George asking all Maroon and Gold Club

members to help the corps out to rasie an additional $50,000.00.

Politely told him that, based on the path the G7 wanted to take,I wouldn't consider

contributing to The Cadets or any G7 corps at this time.

Maybe if the G7 realize that they could be hit,where it hurts,in the pocketbook,

including by their core supporters they'll see this whole G7-WSoDC isn't such a smart

idea.

I Actually got 1 recently BUT I refused also but not because of the G7 because I dont like his personal policies and know where he is really coming from. I will support a member which I guess may be the same but wont give him the satisfaction.

I do give him credit for keeping the corps alive all these years but he seems to be more out of control lately ( ask some volunteers )... I usually try to stay more controlled in all this opinion based forum but sorry This one just got to me.

Good luck this week to all the corps and yes Cadets also.

Great Response, and I agree completely. On paper the finances for the G7 looks good, but we all know that what is on paper never works exactly the same once it is put in action. They may be cutting their nose off despite their face. Yes they may get more per performace, but how much are they gonna loose from the donors who stop giving because they dont agree with the corps decision to be apart of the g7.

I guess this whole G7 topic is a HOT TOPIC. From my viewpoint this G7 way of thinking is not educationally thought out properly. They are only looking at it from thier perspective and not the whole organizational perspective. G7 will ruin the activity of drum corps and who is not to say oif the G7 cam to fruition with the ideas of Mr. Hopkins that it would not fail.

We as a drum corps community, are a very strong network of family members. With the majority of us BORN into the activity, enjoying it for what is possesses different from marching band. Not saying marching band is terrible, but drum corps has a mystic and special place in our lives. I guess if I were to add my 2-cents worth to this topic this is what I would have to say.

The drum corps activity is struggling due to not enough in attendance, financial revenue and parity. How about these changes implemented into DCI:

1. Since a large percentage of the drum corps population knows who is going to win, why not add parity to the activity. Thus, meaning EVERY ORGANIZATION has a legitamate chance of winning or making finals. Why do you think sports and athletics are enjoyable to watch. We all know who might win, but there is always that chance for UPSET. There is no upset factor or change factor in this activity, somehting drum corps does need. By adding parity and a chance for other than the 6 organizatiuons that now win the DCI Championship, you might just see an increase in audience attendance and financial revennue to each organization and DCI.

2. Change the scoring system, the rubric and the judges perception of what happened the previous night before. If 100 is the highest score to receive, that means your PERFECT in ALL aspects of the activity. No one is that perfect in ALL aspects of the activity. Even with the Blue Devils scoring a 97.9 last night they are not that perfect. Has anyone ever done a study on the history of placement/organizations and scroes? Has anyone ever looked at the still photos of all corps, pictures dont lie. I think we need to go back to adding a tick system that will deduct .1 off the score. Drop flag, drop stick, caught out of step, horn angle or spacing of the drill, these are all things the common audience attendee notices but some how scores increase. I believe that an individual could sit in the stands at the 50 yrd line and evaluate the corps based upon what they see, what they caught with thier eyes and not speak into a cassette. Thus, not having to draw your attention away to say something, just a slash markl. Add them up, and deduct. I understand the build up theory, but come on.

3. If the thought of breaking away from a group concept wants to fly, then why not think of the whole organization as different leagues or sub divisions within the league. If these 7 want to form the so called super group within the DCI rules and organization, then why not make break the World Class corps into 3 groups. Top 8, Middle 8, Bottom 7 (Not call them that). With this style confernece or divisions you can have more than 1 WINNER, everybody wants to be a Winner or viewed as better... right. Then why not adopt the English Premier League Soccer school of thought, the corps that finishes 8th in the top and middle divisions moves down, then the top corps in the middle 8 and bottom 7 move up. All while you maintain the existence of the TOP 12 theory. If the top OPEN class corps wanst to move up then they would be inserted into the bottom 7 division. This would create competition within the competition and increase your viewership and attendance. That has a direct relationship to money and happiness for all. The deontological way of thinking.

Yes changes need to be made, but the G7 route and inplementation of woodwinds, tombones and more electical instrumentation will destroy the activity.

Great Response, and I agree completely. On paper the finances for the G7 looks good, but we all know that what is on paper never works exactly the same once it is put in action. They may be cutting their nose off despite their face. Yes they may get more per performace, but how much are they gonna loose from the donors who stop giving because they dont agree with the corps decision to be apart of the g7.

The finances look good for the G7 corps. What's missing is the negative impact the "World Series" would have on the other 16 World Class corps. The G7 have a responsibility to nurture those corps as well, as the talent and competition they provide is essential in keeping the G7 alive. Two of the G7 used to be such lowly corps that needed the high visibility of the top players.

• 2 weeks later...
<written as a response to a fundraising email from Phantom Regiment>

"I know this was one of those generated mass appeals for funds. Yeah, I get it. Everybody needs money. And normally, a couple hundred dollars would be headed your way. However, earlier this year I heard about a plan for seven corps to gain more focus and possibly separate from DCI, or compete directly with DCI events.

I understand that everyone needs money, however, this approach appears on the surface as to indicate 7 corps need money and the others would need to figure out another way to exist. This is contrary to my philosophy regarding drum corps and its future and as such, I am going to withhold any donation to any of these seven corps until I better understand what this proposal is going to mean for the entire drum corps activity.

I hope you understand and if you can enlighten me further on what this proposal means for the Phantom Regiment, the other six corps, DCI and the drum corps not "featured" in this proposal I would gladly review any further information you can provide me. Again, I know this is tough time, but I am withholding any donations until I understand what this means to other DCI corps.

Thanks for listening.

Tom Brace"

Thoughts?

Tom, I'm curious. Did you get a reply from RV or anyone?