Incomplete Shows

And in the Bay Area, the weather in January is not even close to good enough to start learning drill in. Not sure if you've tried learning drill when it's in the 40s outside, but it would not be fun.

I've seen countless marching bands rehearse and perform at below freezing temperatures. Surely a drum corps cannot thwarted by 40 degree weather?

Edited by Rifuarian

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen countless marching bands rehearse and perform at below freezing temperatures. Surely a drum corps cannot thwarted by 40 degree weather?

true, try learning drill in Iowa in October :thumbup:

The real question is why, and then how do they pay for it?

I think that you would have to "fix" the system to enact this kind of change. Drum Corp is made for summer, partially because a lot of the participants are students. The suggestion would interfere with school music and don't forget that these kids have classes and some travel from 1/2 the country away.

true, try learning drill in Iowa in October :thumbup:

Or Casper in June. :tongue:

(actually, that was my favorite part of going to Casper. The mornings were fantastically crisp, the afternoons were spectacularly warm and dry, and the sunsets..... OMG the sunsets!!!!)

Yeah, I've lived there, rehearsed there, learned drill there. The average may be 57, but I've been there when it has not gotten out of the 40s, and been in the super low 30s in the morning.

My last time learning a drum corps show was winter/spring of 04 with Renegades. We had one breezy cool weekend, and every other camp was great weather. I'm not talking about the San Jose/Santa Clara area, either. I'm talking about Treasure Island in the middle of the freakin' Bay! And like others have mentioned now, it's NOTHING like Casper. Or Denver. Or the Northeast. Or the Mid-West.

And learning the music is super important to learning the drill, especially with the shows the corps are putting out today. It's a huge part of learning the visual part of the show to relate it to the music that you already know, so you only need to worry about adding the drill to the music instead of trying to learn both at the same time. And there are some corps out there that put music as the priority, so that's the first thing that gets taught and polished.

At Renegades, we started putting music to drill at the March camp. At Dream we started putting music to drill at the March camp. Now, if a bunch of old pharts can get out there and put what music they've learned to drill, and finish their show on time, then I have a hard time buying why a junior corps, especially on the West Coast, can't do the same.

BTW, the offer to time for free passes is still open!

Garry in Vegas

I know for a fact that SCV didn't begin putting drill onto to the field until their May camp, which was the first weekend in May, so there you go. They spent the first chunk of the season making sure the music got the most attention it could, so the kids knew what they were playing by the time they got to the field. Isn't it better to have everyone know their music before they start learning drill than to have drill on the field but have the music sound bad because they spent all of their time learning drill?

And in the Bay Area, the weather in January is not even close to good enough to start learning drill in. Not sure if you've tried learning drill when it's in the 40s outside, but it would not be fun.

And you actually believe that Phantom, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Cadets, Madison, Blue Stars, and Boston were able to get outside and learn drill before may? come on that excuse is pretty lame.

And if they have the music sound, why not perform the closer without the drill that they haven't learned or perfected yet. Lots of corps used to perform the end of their show standing still for a show or two back in the day so they didn't incur a timing penalty for underunning. Seemed okay then, so why not now?

Right and the missing premise is that the judges would know that it is "filler" right? :thumbup:

I just don't care anymore... lets review some of the options folks have put forth:

1. Make them perform for free in exhibition as the first corps (and that will have all the fans excited about coming to future shows BD/SCV/Cadets/NameYourFav scheduled to compete but wait why are the coming on 1st and what do you mean they'll not be judged).

2. Tack on (enforce existing) penalties (meaningless in the competitive arena but we somehow feel better - that'll show them for not finishing the show)

3. Others I am sure I missed.

I appreciate and do share the concerns of all, why are the initial designs of the shows unfinished or even having to use "filler".

That said however, all this line of thought just provides even more reasons for me to continue to avoid going to early season shows. (of course in FL we don't have many options anyhow).

No, but one would assume that "filler" would be overall of much less quality than the rest of the show, and be judged accordingly. If it's is of the same quality, well then you can't call it filler can you. Personally I think the filler argument is BS anyway.

You are perfectly entitled to your option but calling other Draconion really has no usefulness.

The poster accurately pointed out the penalty would have had zero competitive impact on where the corps placed in relation to other corps.

Granted that may not always be the case but how exciting for the fans if a penalty changed positions of some corps before July (or even in early July).

I mean really is it that exciting that - wow - cool - they were penalized.

Also the rule is, as I understand it, not enforced until a certain point in the competition year.

I'd really like someone who has access to the actual rules support that second point (my 1982/83 Rules Congress Book won't help here).

That is absolutely no reason not to enforce a rule.

True that. Esp. of a G7 super-duper corps.

Would an audience who pay full price expect to see a show on Broadway w/ the last act incomplete or not even attempted?

The corps had all winter to get ready. No excuse whatsoever.

Perhaps they should FINISH their programs before learning the "running starts" which have become all the rage?

And, of COURSE programs like BD and SCV are much harder and more complex than those put on by old farts like us Renegades, but when WE performed at Stanford OUR SHOW WAS COMPLETELY FINISHED.

JUST SAYIN'................

Edited by ContraRich77

Excuses.

I teach the South Portland High School Marching Band, in South Portland, Maine. We have had late October shows where it was in the 30's and frost covered the field by retreat. A little mouthwash mixed in with the valve oil, and you are good to go.

Back to the point, there IS no excuse for an incomplete show, period. If certain corps really were the "top acts" they have proclaimed themselves to be, this would not be an issue.