Incomplete Shows

At one time there were hundreds and hundreds of competitive junior drum corps. Now there are less that fifty. The fan base has also shrunk dramatically. Now I assume the majority of you marched with a corps at one time. Think back and remember all the people you marched with. Now try to recall how many still attend DC shows.

It's been suggested before in these forums that the role of these mostly smaller corps has been taken by competitive marching bands. Does anyone have any statistics on that? How many competitive marching bands were there, back in the day? In Ohio, if I recall the brief history given in the program from this year's state finals, bands only began competing until the 1970s, and the Ohio Music Educator's Association, the organization which oversees the competitions there, didn't begin doing so until 1980. That year saw a couple dozen bands qualify for state finals; since the 1990s it has been over one hundred each year. Has it been over the same time period that many drum corps have ceased to exist? Is there a connection?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, they forgot about the people who actually paid for tickets. And when prompted about what problems exist, will cough up responses akin to "you don't like it...don't go".

Just like people also forgot about the organizations that paid for drum corps when there were 'hundreds' of drum corps: churches, VFW's, Kiwanis organizations, and other youth groups that stopped funding corps in the 70's. Contrary to the popular (misguided) belief that "I don't like the style of modern corps design, and there are few corps now than there were forty years ago, so the logical conclusion is there are less corps because of boring show designs," the reality is corps fold due to lack of funds, period: not because of show designs, incomplete shows early season, etc.

You can arguably say that attendance also dropped off in correlation with drum corps disappearing: less corps = less marching members = less fans/parents/friends of marching member. It's not shock that the worst attendance in DCI history in the mid/late 90's corresponds with the fewest World Class corps competing in history.

No offense to the OP, but this thread is an utter train wreck.

What is so hard about the concept that if you are under time, you get a penalty? Less show results in less points.

I don't understand the strident opposition to this point of view. Most who argue against it have gotten around to saying it wouldn't have an effect; if that's the case, why so vociferous?

Less show results in less points: the foundation of competition. So simple, even a caveman can understand it.

No offense to the OP, but this thread is an utter train wreck.

What is so hard about the concept that if you are under time, you get a penalty? Less show results in less points.

I don't understand the strident opposition to this point of view. Most who argue against it have gotten around to saying it wouldn't have an effect; if that's the case, why so vociferous?

Less show results in less points: the foundation of competition. So simple, even a caveman can understand it.

+1

actually if that penalty is there and they still dont have it by the first regional and can lower them in performance order and their show will get the "we have to leave room for the others" treatment and could hurt the end of the season possibly.

You're making a pretty big leap there. I suppose it could happen but given your scenario I'd guess that not having the whole show on the field before the first regional is gonna be a problem *regardless* of penalties. That's where I'm mostly disagreeing with you -- I think corps *want* to get their show on the field as soon as they can. It makes competitive sense; the sooner your show is on the field, the sooner you can start cleaning (and tweaking). But if they can't march it or play it well enough for public consumption then their preference is just don't put it on the field.

It's been suggested before in these forums that the role of these mostly smaller corps has been taken by competitive marching bands. Does anyone have any statistics on that? How many competitive marching bands were there, back in the day? In Ohio, if I recall the brief history given in the program from this year's state finals, bands only began competing until the 1970s, and the Ohio Music Educator's Association, the organization which oversees the competitions there, didn't begin doing so until 1980. That year saw a couple dozen bands qualify for state finals; since the 1990s it has been over one hundred each year. Has it been over the same time period that many drum corps have ceased to exist? Is there a connection?

a few years ago I counted up the memberships in a bunch of Northeast band circuits....the total was close to 1500 bands...now, of course there is a lot of overlap these days, but even if there are half that number of distinct bands, it's 750'ish in just the Northeast, as compared to the total number of competitive corps just pre-DCI that gets mentioned a lot...440. I have seen 4,000 bands competing at some level mentioned here many times as a guesstimate, out of over 25K HS in the US.

I looked at USSBA, TOB, Cavalcade of Bands, NYSFBC, NESBA.