Drums Along the Rockies

Heh! Always so much better echoing through the Embarcadero!

Garry in Vegas

I was hoping someone would catch that. Gotta Keep that Renegades tradition going! :smile:

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not an issue of GE visual, because if vis ensemble was high, Vis GE would also have been high. The brass scores were skewed slightly too high IMHO. West Coast homers may have judged music tonight. Don't know for sure. I feel Cadets brass book is stronger and the spread in GE music should have been more in their favor. I didn't see tonight's show yet, and if it has dirt, I can see how they may have gotten hammered here.

I see it as an anomaly. BD better look right past this as just another score...and they probably will.

When the top corps play their river cards later in the season things will change and all those corps know it.

Bluecoats have more they can do, and if Crown improves as much in the second half as they just did with first half changes, we could have a new champion this year.

Never fear, drum corps fans, the season isn't decided yet by a long shot!

Edited by radiosteele

That's the point....who is the vast majority..and who counts them...by what reason can you say that...8 posters on this thread?

All the peope that booed their ### at Finals last year. :smile:

Michael, you aren't helping the situation, unless your entire purpose is stoking the flames.

Also, don't say "goodnight" if you aren't actually going to let it drop. You seem to want people to not hate BD, which is admirable, but your responses do nothing but intensify the anger from the very people spewing it.

I neither love, nor hate BD. I haven't had a horse in the race since Cap Reg went down. But you're better than this.

I dont care who loves or hates anything, thats not up to me..I laugh at the venom and anger and whatnot over marching drum corps and entertainment and get a kick out of the "outcry" and absolutions everyone makes.....Had BD lost, I would have said hmm....well, they can regroup, theres a whole season left.

It wasnt by tenths, it was points, to me, its clear to see why....Im sorry if you dont, but I dont get paid to change your mind, I just enjoy all I can ...

G

Honestly, I'm not really gonna get too upset about BD beating Cadets by 3 points because it's a little different when you're there live. Now I WILL get mad if this happens when I see them both live lol. :smile:

c'mon.....neither of us were there, but the way that ensemble communicates together ?? THe design of the show, the guard, the total package.....another lavel.

G

While I'm not a huge fan of their show, Blue Devils unequivocally:

a) have a show design that is by far on another level in terms of integration and originality. People can throw out crap like, "oh, mirrors are SO original" just like they did with the chairs last year, but the other 90% of their design is incredible.

b) perform FAR better than anyone else in DCI at this time. Especially at Drums Along the Rockies, there was no comparison between them and 2nd place Cadets when it comes to execution: Blue Devils put on a performance clinic.

Is BD's music mainstream appealing? No. It's easy to turn off the brain when watching BD because you're not personally into their music or their arrangements, or their show in general; when I listen to music if I don't like the band/artist it's easy to start looking at ways to pick it apart to try and justify my opinion or personal taster. But when watching Blue Devils this year (or the last several years to be honest), you can dislike the show or the music, and you can be upset because you're personal favorite corps lost to them. Personal tastes aside, Blue Devils this year have an INCREDIBLE show design; seeing it with the multi-camera view happened fill in the blanks from seeing it just from the high cam view in Stanford. I still think there are a few minor problems with their visual design (mirrors kind of clutter up the visual plane sometimes, and I still think they can utilize the 'mirror' effect with drill a bit more), and they're still dirty for sure, but they were SUBSTANTIALLY cleaner than Cadets, and had a MUCH better design package at Denver than Cadets, and I don't think the spread was out of line. The Visual Effect spread (1 full point) is TOTALLY justified; before I looked at the recap that was one caption that I thought should be a huge spread. Music Performance captions were fairly close, with BD's percussion section accounting for the higher Ensemble spread, and the higher spread in the Visual caption were spot on based on both content and execution.

I think Blue Devils definitely do not have a cake walk to the title, but I think that at this point of the season they are well ahead of everyone else.

I think it's best to proclaim BD's 2010 Champions because this is almost the same thing that happened last year. Clearly, according to the judges, they're in a class by themselves. So it's basically another fight for second place. Congrats to BD now.

While I'm not a huge fan of their show, Blue Devils unequivocally:

a) have a show design that is by far on another level in terms of integration and originality. People can throw out crap like, "oh, mirrors are SO original" just like they did with the chairs last year, but the other 90% of their design is incredible.

b) perform FAR better than anyone else in DCI at this time. Especially at Drums Along the Rockies, there was no comparison between them and 2nd place Cadets when it comes to execution: Blue Devils put on a performance clinic.

Is BD's music mainstream appealing? No. It's easy to turn off the brain when watching BD because you're not personally into their music or their arrangements, or their show in general; when I listen to music if I don't like the band/artist it's easy to start looking at ways to pick it apart to try and justify my opinion or personal taster. But when watching Blue Devils this year (or the last several years to be honest), you can dislike the show or the music, and you can be upset because you're personal favorite corps lost to them. Personal tastes aside, Blue Devils this year have an INCREDIBLE show design; seeing it with the multi-camera view happened fill in the blanks from seeing it just from the high cam view in Stanford. I still think there are a few minor problems with their visual design (mirrors kind of clutter up the visual plane sometimes, and I still think they can utilize the 'mirror' effect with drill a bit more), and they're still dirty for sure, but they were SUBSTANTIALLY cleaner than Cadets, and had a MUCH better design package at Denver than Cadets, and I don't think the spread was out of line. The Visual Effect spread (1 full point) is TOTALLY justified; before I looked at the recap that was one caption that I thought should be a huge spread. Music Performance captions were fairly close, with BD's percussion section accounting for the higher Ensemble spread, and the higher spread in the Visual caption were spot on based on both content and execution.

I think Blue Devils definitely do not have a cake walk to the title, but I think that at this point of the season they are well ahead of everyone else.

Pretty well-put.

Shows that I don't like win all the time, and I can usually understand it most of the time. That's the case with BD so far this year with me. Not something I like much, but it's well done and the design is really extraordinary.