Why Blue Devils Win

It's funny, I can recall many of these same comments about BD at least here in the East back in the 70's. They were such a machine they made it look so easy. Fans of corps like 2-7, North Star, Garfield and Bayonne used to complain about how dry BD seemed to them (me too! as a big 2-7 fan) but they were just do darn good they were tough to beat.

Absolutely correct, Mike. I'm pretty much a lifelong Blue Devils fan.... but there were any number of times when BD, in the 1970s, was not the crowd favorite at a given show, in particular when they were up against the likes of Bridgemen, 27th, etc.

It was like "West Coast smooth" meets "East Coast hype."

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just one person's opinion, nothing more. You can't take an opinion and use it as 'proof' of anything.

No, but you can watch a show and determine how often a corps is playing and marching at the same time.

i have watched. not as much as others do

...and my farewell post

. Watch the fanetwork, they do play and move at the same time.

bye all !

G

People were excited for a multitude of reasons. The reaction for Phantom 2008 wasn't just because it was a more entertaining or better show. There's the underdog thing, the super small margin thing, the "they haven't won their own Championship yet" thing, etc., etc., etc. There was more hype by nature and it wasn't just because people were less excited by BD.

I'm gonna say the underdog thing was a small part of it. they flat out created and performed a show that reached people of call corps colors and likes.

walking out of Allentown, I didn't heat anyone talking about Phantom being an underdog ir even having a shot, even tho technically they scored higher on Saturday than BD did on Friday.

they had people talking because they reached out, sucked em in, and spit em out.....in between the standing O's while the corps was on the field performing

I have one more thing to interject here and then I am done with this topic and on to the next one....

Bold Prediction: BD will be a fan favorite at finals. Boom

i'll take that bet

No, but you can watch a show and determine how often a corps is playing and marching at the same time.

Why does everyone use this ridiculously naive argument? Drum corps is so much more than marching and playing at the same time. If I just wanted to see marching and playing at the same time I would go down to the local high school during band camp and take in 3 hours of 8's and 8's while listening out of tune Bb scales.

Drum corps is about subtlety, nuance, demand, and precision. Contrary to the average armchair-critic's belief, you can have all four of those things regardless of how much you march and play at the same time.

It's the drum corps equivalent of a pissing contest. It doesn't really prove anything.

Edited by MagicBobert

except others agree, but why let the facts get in the way or you disagreeing to disagree

That is just one person's opinion, nothing more. You can't take an opinion and use it as 'proof' of anything.

He never said it was "proof". :tongue:

illegal use of logic. 10 yards, loss of down

So? I'm not understanding why you think I should have read your post before I made my comment.

My bad, actually....whenever I read a thread, I always go to the first unread post and go from there. Not everyone does that (makes sense to me, tho.)

That explains, however, why some of my commentary gets no comments of it's own...the wild rants get all SORTS of responses....

To save you the effort of digging, however, it was bumped so it's a few posts below yours that I'm quoting now (thanks, Mellofello)

Edited by 84BDsop