Why Blue Devils Win

Meh. This is exactly the same argument I heard when DCP first started and the Cavaliers were winning. In fact, since you only use pronouns throughout it doesn't even take much imagination to pretend that this post was written eight years ago. It's all talking points, as far as I'm concerned. There's been a lot of tearing down on these boards since the weekend's scores were announced. It's discouraging to see so many people became so enraged over something so petty. It's also discouraging to see so many people try to rationalize their subjective dislike of a show into objective reasons why they feel the show shouldn't be winning. If you think the Blue Devils lack the simultaneous demand of other corps, name those other corps. Give me examples. Build your case. Right now, all I've been reading is complaining, and very little actual thought.

ok of those corps I've seen:

Crown

Cavaliers

Cadets

SCV

BK

Troopers

Bluecoats

these are all corps that show more of the simultaneous responsibility than BD does.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the tools to avoid the music of dead white guys, yet we see more music written by dead white guys

. . .drum corps is not an individual art form, it's a pastiche of other art forms . . . other than a few original shows from Suncoast Sound and the Cavaliers, there's little to nothing "new" to speak of that's ever been created in the idiom

Regarding popular music, the activity morphed in the late 70's to closely trend against some of the popular culture and themes of the day. . . "In the Stone", "Star Wars", etc. . . .far from where we are today; so, if anything, what we see now is even less of an "abstract".

Blue Devils play Kenton. Crown plays classical composers. Cadets play classical composers. . . .and so forth.

Interesting, yes. A new revelation, no.

Drum corps, as it has progressed along, is now exactly reverse of what you claim: an activity that exists as a niche of a niche, trying to tie itself to education dollars from MENC and NAMM to survive.

It's going to be as middle of the road and unobtrusive to the high-school-wind-ensemble-college-band-program melange that makes up its repertoires and members now as possible (see: Imogen Heap now as a safe, iTunes approved rep choice the kids and parents can all like, after the 2nd album was out for two years. Ooh, daring, guys! Can we play Regina Spektor, too? LOL. :tongue: )

It now trades in Americana, upper-middle-class kids and positive self image to ply its trade at its highest levels.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's not going to turn the world on its ear, either.

Risks grow an activity when they push it beyond itself and its limits. Nothing any corps has done for a number of years (including BD) can claim that; the Cadets drum speak, Phantoms Spartacus retread, Blue Devils wink-n-nod at WGI with the mirrors: we've seen it all before.

The challenges are there, and we all supposedly have more tools to us to express them: conventions with section numbers, pacing and even show design itself are ripe with possibilities to make something at least a little different, if not something wholly unique.

We've got a long way to go to reinvent the wheel yet. :tongue:

ok of those corps I've seen:

Crown

Cavaliers

Cadets

SCV

BK

Troopers

Bluecoats

these are all corps that show more of the simultaneous responsibility than BD does.

With each post you have less and less credability.

As the activity attempts to become "more innovative/original" it manages to become less innovative, less original.

Strange, isn't it?

Even the political statements of the 70s (Garfield's peace sign) and 80s shows (Suncoasts "wall", and even the "Contemporary Child") tried to push a little . . .as things become more PC in the 90s, so goes the message. . .Crossmen's "Children Are Our Future" . . .

. . .and, finally, as designers and everyone else become too afraid to do anything but navel-gaze, we end up with nothing but weak commentary that's just passive self-declaration: "This, I Believe".

Kind of depressing, really.

What a boring thread..you either like it, or you dont. Those that like it know its demanding, those that hate it wont admnit its demanding.....Its all part of human nature. To the victor goes the spoils.......doesnt matter, it may be fun to debate and the haters may feel good bonding and all, however, nothing stated here is gonna change what happens out there thank God, and the reality is what happens on the field is what matters......

G

Well then BD has found a way to turn their shows, which are indisputably choc full of demand and technical greatness performed at the highest of levels into 11 minutes of uninspired and at times, flat out boring, marching and playing. (IMO, of course.) I liken them to the national spelling bee. I don't doubt those kids are smart as hell and spend hours practicing and learning nomenclature, derivatives, and context. But I don't tune in to watch because it doesn't interest me. It doesn't get me fired up. It doesn't send a tingle down my leg ($1 Chris Matthews.)

Ya think ?? I dont recall I remember like a 10 day period, then it was controlled after that.. I see BD getting it left and right and because there are no real controversioal elements in their show its just gonna continue all season.

G

Which is all the more reason to be frustrated in my opinion. At least when the Cadets were receiving polite golf claps and boos, there was an obvious reason for it. Those BD members are getting it because the show they've been given just isn't doing it for a lot of people.

I'm thinking you'll see more people agree with me than you. and if i lose credibility in your eyes, I'll live.

note tho..I am talking simultaneous responsibility...ya know, the playing and marching at the same time thing. not the visual demands while not playing or musical demands while not moving a lot.

audiodb's post nailed it spot on. he mentioned Cadets as Did I, and I haven't seen Phantom or Blue Stars yet ( will tonite)

With each post you have less and less credability.

i participated in a system blue camp, so i was able to watch 2 1/2 days of rehearsal. BD's show is full if individual responsibilities (individuals and sections) there are a lot of parts in the show where there are complex inner parts going on, counter melodies and such in the sections themselves and between sections. that may not be appealing to the typical fan, but on a musical level, its difficult to do.

thats just my opinion, id love to discuss this with someone with a different view.

i participated in a system blue camp, so i was able to watch 2 1/2 days of rehearsal. BD's show is full if individual responsibilities (individuals and sections) there are a lot of parts in the show where there are complex inner parts going on, counter melodies and such in the sections themselves and between sections. that may not be appealing to the typical fan, but on a musical level, its difficult to do.

thats just my opinion, id love to discuss this with someone with a different view.

Thanks for describing a bit of what is inside their show. Some of them I've heard and appreciate. Will need to listen again and again to hear all the depth you point out.

Unfortunately, this thread seems to have turned into "Who can Denigrate BD the Best". This will mean most everyone commenting for the last day will beg to differ with you. They "want anyone to win except BD"

Good Luck

Well then BD has found a way to turn their shows, which are indisputably choc full of demand and technical greatness performed at the highest of levels into 11 minutes of uninspired and at times, flat out boring, marching and playing. (IMO, of course.) I liken them to the national spelling bee. I don't doubt those kids are smart as hell and spend hours practicing and learning nomenclature, derivatives, and context. But I don't tune in to watch because it doesn't interest me. It doesn't get me fired up. It doesn't send a tingle down my leg ($1 Chris Matthews.)

Which is all the more reason to be frustrated in my opinion. At least when the Cadets were receiving polite golf claps and boos, there was an obvious reason for it. Those BD members are getting it because the show they've been given just isn't doing it for a lot of people.

Who are the alot of people ?? 50 - 60 folks on DCP ??? What about the people that have enjoyed it in person so far ?? I love how people act as if they know all, see all, and their opinioons are thrown as fact.

Here are a few facts.

More people like this show in person than hate it here on DCP

How you feel about this show is your opinion based on what you see.

Your opinion isnt what anyone else feels.

This thread is now bordering on ridiculous, its two trains of thought repeated over and over and over and over and over again cleverley diguised as a debate but in reality a thread dedicated to bashing and discrediting the Blue Devils.

I am going to stay out now and not respond, no matter how much I want to......

G

Edited by GMichael1230

I'm thinking you'll see more people agree with me than you. and if i lose credibility in your eyes, I'll live.

note tho..I am talking simultaneous responsibility...ya know, the playing and marching at the same time thing. not the visual demands while not playing or musical demands while not moving a lot.

audiodb's post nailed it spot on. he mentioned Cadets as Did I, and I haven't seen Phantom or Blue Stars yet ( will tonite)

...and my farewell post

. Watch the fanetwork, they do play and move at the same time.

bye all !

G