Minneapolis Corps Directors Meeting

Expell The Cadets and the Blue Devils from DCI and let the dust settle. See you at DCI champs, Madision Wisconsin 2020.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those who suggest that "competition" as we currently know it may vanish from the product at least in the G7 version. I could see the master plan being to bring the top groups together on 8 to 10 weekends in major markets and repackage the product in hopes of attracting more than the traditional DC fans. It would be more like a 7-act play. There might even be a bit of a plot line and even a good versus evil twist. But certainly, scoring could become insignificant. The goal would be big $$$ in big stadiums with short travel distances on a Friday-Saturday-Sunday pattern that would be repeated in close-by cities like Dallas/Houston/SanAntonio, Minneapolis/Madison/Green Bay, Chicago/Indianapolis/Columbus, Detroit/Toronto/Montreal, St.Louis/Kansas City/Denver, Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Cincinnatti, etc.

On middle weekdays (Tues. - Thurs.) if passing though enroute to the next weekend destination, the G7 corps could enter traditional "competitions" with other non-G7 corps in smaller cities along the way. Whether there is still a DCI to run these and other shows is unimportant. And whether there is a "national championship" is no longer important to the G7 corps either because, their mission is to be part of this NEW "showbiz" format. The big major market/major stadium shows would be more favorably compared to something like Cirque du Soleil or something that FELD Entertainment (i.e., Ringling, Disney on Ice, etc, ) would tour to arenas. I can see more props, more sets, more pre-recorded sound effects and more production values entering into the picture. Whether or not that includes woodwinds . . . who knows? I personally, don't think a flute player on the 50-yard line, even one with a microphone will add to the overall experience, but that remains to be seen. I can see pyrotechnics and more stage and prop hydraulics being added.

This might be one direction, drum corps is headed . . . at least for the G7 corps.

I agree with those who suggest that "competition" as we currently know it may vanish from the product at least in the G7 version. I could see the master plan being to bring the top groups together on 8 to 10 weekends in major markets and repackage the product in hopes of attracting more than the traditional DC fans. It would be more like a 7-act play. There might even be a bit of a plot line and even a good versus evil twist. But certainly, scoring could become insignificant. The goal would be big $$$ in big stadiums with short travel distances on a Friday-Saturday-Sunday pattern that would be repeated in close-by cities like Dallas/Houston/SanAntonio, Minneapolis/Madison/Green Bay, Chicago/Indianapolis/Columbus, Detroit/Toronto/Montreal, St.Louis/Kansas City/Denver, Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Cincinnatti, etc.

On middle weekdays (Tues. - Thurs.) if passing though enroute to the next weekend destination, the G7 corps could enter traditional "competitions" with other non-G7 corps in smaller cities along the way. Whether there is still a DCI to run these and other shows is unimportant. And whether there is a "national championship" is no longer important to the G7 corps either because, their mission is to be part of this NEW "showbiz" format. The big major market/major stadium shows would be more favorably compared to something like Cirque du Soleil or something that FELD Entertainment (i.e., Ringling, Disney on Ice, etc, ) would tour to arenas. I can see more props, more sets, more pre-recorded sound effects and more production values entering into the picture. Whether or not that includes woodwinds . . . who knows? I personally, don't think a flute player on the 50-yard line, even one with a microphone will add to the overall experience, but that remains to be seen. I can see pyrotechnics and more stage and prop hydraulics being added.

This might be one direction, drum corps is headed . . . at least for the G7 corps.

Sounds like Madonna, Lady Gaga, Cirque du Soleil, Vegas Show Girls, and Fireworks all rolled up into one giant lip synching no substance Blast / Stomp wanna be spectacle. I would much rather watch birds in Central Park leaving their mark on park benches; at least I would see more talent on display.

Sounds like Madonna, Lady Gaga, Cirque du Soleil, Vegas Show Girls, and Fireworks all rolled up into one giant lip synching no substance Blast / Stomp wanna be spectacle. I would much rather watch birds in Central Park leaving their mark on park benches; at least I would see more talent on display.

Madonna and Lady Gaga have nothing to do with it, and they can draw an audience in and get people to spend large sums of cash to enjoy what they have to offer.

This scenario, nobody would care because the draw in drum corps is the competition aspect, take it away and you got hokey schlock that you could see once and wouldnt bother to put money down to see again.

G

What I am curious to see is what DCI is going to do with its fan feedback sessions this year, and if these are a direct reaction to what the G7 is attempting to do. If DCI comes back after the season and says the fans want "this, this and this" which is in direct opposition to what the G7 is proposing, would that be enough for them to back down and play nice?

....or is the boat already out to sea?

I'm starting to believe what others are posting ....... G7 is probably dead already.

Or put on the back burner for a few years....... but I have a feeling the backlash felt here in DCP will be met head on in the Board rooms of the corps involved with the coup. I wouldn't be surprised to see some heads roll out of this.

The proposal made by the G7 corps may seem to be "dead" for now. But don't be fooled.

The group of corps that made up the G7 are still out there and still have many of the same issues, concerns and goals that caused them to create the proposal in the first place. If they couldn't get what they wanted in one big move, they will continue to work behind the scenes toward their goals. They may proceed piece by piece. There may even be a new proposal - G7 the sequel - down the road.

Don't forget that the G7 proposal was compiled, written and presented by the same guy who proposed rules changes for about a dozen years in a row until amplification was finally passed. Even when he was the only one in the room that was pursuing it, he tenaciously continued on toward his goal.

The G7 corps may have lost a couple of hands and a couple of big pots in this high stakes poker game but they still have plenty of chips left and they're still playing.

The proposal made by the G7 corps may seem to be "dead" for now. But don't be fooled.

The group of corps that made up the G7 are still out there and still have many of the same issues, concerns and goals that caused them to create the proposal in the first place. If they couldn't get what they wanted in one big move, they will continue to work behind the scenes toward their goals. They may proceed piece by piece. There may even be a new proposal - G7 the sequel - down the road.

Don't forget that the G7 proposal was compiled, written and presented by the same guy who proposed rules changes for about a dozen years in a row until amplification was finally passed. Even when he was the only one in the room that was pursuing it, he tenaciously continued on toward his goal.

The G7 corps may have lost a couple of hands and a couple of big pots in this high stakes poker game but they still have plenty of chips left and they're still playing.

Small correction, "the group of corps" are no longer that same group and those selfish, self-serving "people" that brought forth the gee7 vision and convinced.cooerced the others to go along are all that are really hoping for it in the future......its all but dead.

G

BOB, I agree with your words of warning. But, I do think that on the upside, this G7 debacle has revealed the elitism which does exist in a handful of directors. Things will never be the same. These directors have caused irreparable harm to their corps' credibility, and going forward, most non G7 directors will not be so easily led down the garden path. The mask has been taken off, revealing a twisted, self-centered philosophy that goes against the grain of what drum corps has been and continues to be.

They may still be at the table, but they, in my judgement, have fewer chips than ever.