BD's Beating the Field by 2 Points

The answer is YES!

I tend to have my own issues with the Blue Devils from a general effect perspective, especially GE music.

But that aside, they are usually THAT much better than the competition (pick a year, any year) because they rarely have a weak caption. As you said in B, other corps typically have an area that needs some work. I know that we can all argue over BD's use of music and overal GE, but there is not a lot of argument over how well they perform.

For as long as I can remember they have been the most complete performing ensemble. It's bad enough when trying to compete with their brass, but their percussion is always up there, their guard is typically the best in the business, and the marching technique is second to none. When you look at the performance captions and sub captions, you realize just how difficult it is for anyone to beat them, especially early, mid, and late season.

The only chance most corps have is to hope that by seasons' end they have caught up in some of the performance captions and that their GE can push them over the top. I believe the Cavaliers, Cadets, Bluecoats, and Crown are all looking to do this. But if the other corps have a major weakness, then wonderful GE will not fully be rewarded due to performance deficiencies in that weak caption, hence catching BD is almost impossible...unless the Devs come down with the flu!

Love 'em or hate 'em, they are a remarkable unit to watch perform. I may not like every show, but rarely do I leave a performance of theirs and not have my lower jaw laying on the floor.

This.

As long as BD designs to the sheets and outperforms everyone, they will win. Year after year after year.... While I wish musically they would show off the incredible hornline more, I do understand its part of the bigger picture now. I think we are beginning to learn that being the best hornline or drumline or guard alone does not make a championship winning corps.

I have no doubt if BD decided they really wanted to win brass every year, they would write a book that would be untouchable every year (like Crown is trying to do). Those days are gone and as much as many of us want them back, its about the championship as a whole that matters. Example: I truly believe that while Crown has built their corps and success on an amazing hornline, they will not win until they take the "team first" mentality BD has developed, and let the overall picture be the most important thing. Unfortunately, some fans would complain as that likely would force them to adjust their writing style to fit the sheets more clearly. The sheets blow, I get it.. but it's not changing anytime soon.

I do think one thing that's lost is that BD has become completely unselfish as an organization in their quest to win. There are enough trophy winners on that staff to fill every corps for years (Wayne, ScoJo, Chandler), but they willingly let that part go for the big picture. Sure, they still win those awards often, but it's now more of a byproduct of the high level of success the design is achieving today.

And yes, they are WAY better than anyone else this season, and I truly think the judges are doing their bets to not make it look obvious at this point. It may be 2.5 or more by this time next week, IMO.( Bash away I guess...)

Edited by trumpetcam

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

As long as BD designs to the sheets and outperforms everyone, they will win. Year after year after year.... While I wish musically they would show off the incredible hornline more, I do understand its part of the bigger picture now. I think we are beginning to learn that being the best hornline or drumline or guard alone does not make a championship winning corps.

I have no doubt if BD decided they really wanted to win brass every year, they would write a book that would be untouchable every year (like Crown is trying to do). Those days are gone and as much as many of us want them back, its about the championship as a whole that matters. Example: I truly believe that while Crown has built their corps and success on an amazing hornline, they will not win until they take the "team first" mentality BD has developed, and let the overall picture be the most important thing. Unfortunately, some fans would complain as that likely would force them to adjust their writing style to fit the sheets more clearly. The sheets blow, I get it.. but it's not changing anytime soon.

I do think one thing that's lost is that BD has become completely unselfish as an organization in their quest to win. There are enough trophy winners on that staff to fill every corps for years (Wayne, ScoJo, Chandler), but they willingly let that part go for the big picture. Sure, they still win those awards often, but it's now more of a byproduct of the high level of success the design is achieving today.

And yes, they are WAY better than anyone else this season, and I truly think the judges are doing their bets to not make it look obvious at this point. It may be 2.5 or more by this time next week, IMO.( Bash away I guess...)

I totally respect what you're saying ......... but my personal feeling on this is that watering down a stellar section i.e. Taking one for the "team" is selling out. That's not what drum corps is about and never has been. If anything .. every caption should have the sickest book ever seen or heard and perform it better than anyone else. This has nothing to do with G bugles or anything else .. but this is what was the core belief of my era .. no matter who I talked to or where I marched .. it was about the music and doing killer drill, marching your butt off and taking names. If you landed 7th .. who cares. If you won .. great. But that's what made DCI special and different from BOA and even college marching bands.

To quote Tom Hanks, "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."

I can dig that, but I don't think they are watering down anything, the demand is still off the chart. It's just less about one element and the symbiosis of what they do is what makes drum corps and marching arts great in today's world and why it is continuing to develop.

I'd much rather hear BD throw down on La Fiesta and have some good drill that fits the music, but those days are gone. Heck, when I marched, I won brass and came in 5th, so if anyone gets it, I do. It's just cool to see that they can do that and make it work.

I don't think they are saying, "let's play sucky music as long as we can win." I know the kids and staff really dig the book this year and feels its getting closer to what BD was and is about. I think they are still learning and growing and trying to find a happy medium. Even though this design team has been around a while, this type of design is pretty new, 06 to now.

I am hoping once they figure it out, they will play bad### books again and keep on winning and pushing the activity!

This.

I'm conflicted. (And I want to avoid falling into the homer/hater trap that seems pretty ubiquitous, these days). On the one hand, you and many others seem to be saying that they have a strong show (I think?). On the other, you're suggesting that they're more or less selling out -- "writing to the sheets," as people are saying.

I don't know. The more I listen to / watch this show, the more I'm convinced the design is less about 'the sheets' and more about the show itself. There seems to be a unique kind of effect they're going for here (overwhelming, confusing, provocative) that would be too risky to be the kind of guarantor of success that a design team writing to the sheets would aim for.

If I were a designer trying to write to the sheets, I'm not sure experimental jazz modernism would strike me as the most suitable vehicle for doing so...

No.

Answer is C.

Saw them live in K.C.

I'm conflicted. (And I want to avoid falling into the homer/hater trap that seems pretty ubiquitous, these days). On the one hand, you and many others seem to be saying that they have a strong show (I think?). On the other, you're suggesting that they're more or less selling out -- "writing to the sheets," as people are saying.

I don't know. The more I listen to / watch this show, the more I'm convinced the design is less about 'the sheets' and more about the show itself. There seems to be a unique kind of effect they're going for here (overwhelming, confusing, provocative) that would be too risky to be the kind of guarantor of success that a design team writing to the sheets would aim for.

If I were a designer trying to write to the sheets, I'm not sure experimental jazz modernism would strike me as the most suitable vehicle for doing so...

You are on the right track, Sax.

I had the opportunity to sit and listen to Scott Chandler and Dave Glyde talk about this show at an event before the season. They are truly passionate about the design and character of this show. I still chuckle each time someone says that all they do is "write to the sheets". It is actually pretty insulting to them and what they do. Of course they consider the competitive nature of what they do, but if you listen to them talk, it is show first...sheets....later.

Easily the best post I've read this season. I agree 100%.

I've found BD's shows since 2008 to be incredibly nuanced, complex, and far from superficial. Therefore, I find it hard to believe that they design exclusively to the sheets.

I do wanna say though, no matter how far the spread is, I would never feel comfortable until the final reading of the scores......1988 and 1995 will never leave my memory.

1988 will never leave my memory either........to see a corps with the hands down best musical show with absolutely no visual program whatsoever............no wonder they lost.

Flame away. It's OK with me, I got the brunt of it JOINING BD in 89 after kicking their ##### in 88. I might as well get SOME mileage out of the lumps I've already taken.

I've found BD's shows since 2008 to be incredibly nuanced, complex, and far from superficial. Therefore, I find it hard to believe that they design exclusively to the sheets.

Of course not.

It's just another back-handed way for people to dismiss and denigrate BD's excellence, in the same vein as "they win because of props", "their show is way easier than any other corps", "they only care about winning", etc...