Murfreesboro Mad Haus!

What's sad is that this chat has been so cool and open the whole night and we have all said positive things about all corps. Then, Bd comes out, and it tunrs into a hatefest for like 30 posts. C'mon guys, just stop. STOP!!!!!

Please get over and don't be so emotional. If you don't like it ,don't cheer. I hate SCV and think Cavies sound terrible, but I choose not to bring it to the forum as it creates negative vibes.

I think the fact that BD elicits such an "emotional" response is hilarious and ironic, since most of you say there is no emotion to what they do whatsoever. You guys, more than others, actually get what they are going for!!!

How could anyone hate SCV... they are so sweet and loveable and always an honorable corps.

Edited by Otowndrumin

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you that say BD has no emotion in their show....... then why do I feel so emotionally drained after just viewing it through a crappy internet connection?

I think there is tons of emotion in their...... maybe more so than any other corps..... complex emotions. Not all emotion is simply happy/sad. What about confusion, frustration, anger, hopelessness, bewilderment, shock, etc.... I could go on and on about the human emotions this show elicits.

I've been thinking this very thought for a while now. I haven't seen BD at all yet this year - knowing that I'll be seeing them at Finals, I prefer to go in cold. But reading these forums, I'm amazed at the anger that BD seems to generate with every contest. The emotional reaction is far and above anything I'd expect from a boring show that failed to connect. I think the level of response on these boards is proof positive that Blue Devils are connecting with the audience, perhaps as much or more so than anyone else this year. They're taking people places, it just doesn't appear that they are places people want to go. That's not necessarily a bad thing. One thing's for sure, I can't wait to see this one for myself.

You are doing Jazz a major disservice by simply calling it "stuff being made up as they go".

The reason some people think jazz is just "stuff being made up as they go" I think is exactly the same reason some people cannot get into the Blue Devils' show.

Agreed. People hate because its fun. Nobody loves a winner...the emotional peaks and valleys are just draining....this show is one of their best ever.

G

Geoff, I couldn't disagree with you more. Why is it that if people don't like a particular show, then they must be haters? Are we supposed to like everything? The show was not built for the masses, and there are some of us that just don't like it. Doesn't mean we hate BD. Doesn;t mean we don't think the kids are great performers. We just don't like the #### show and that drives you up the wall. You think its one of the best ever, and I think its one of the worst ever. Neither of us is right or wrong, it is what it is.

I agree with this.... the last few chords they play before the final chord are nice and crunchy. I wish they would just hammer one out like that to end the whole thing..... kind of like a big "F YOU" to the audience..... awesome.

Without having seen BD yet this year, I'll go ahead and agree with this, too. An "F YOU" type show is something I've been wanting a corps to dare for a while now.

Name one other drum corps show to date which has a musical book resembling the Blue Devils' book this year.

Uh...there's a reason for that, and it isn't the one you think.

This is the same thing BD has been doing with it's brass books for years. "Laura" is pretty good, but everything else about that brass book is lackluster. And it upsets me only because I absolutely love the visual package of that show. LOVE it.

Give the cavies a better horn line and clean up those feet and BD wouldn't stand a chance. BORING I say BORING. Obviously I need to be taught boring to understand its complex nature.

What a statement! Give them a better horn line, a better percussion line, and a better guard and they would dominate for years! But, Drum corp is all of it, so asking for a better horn line is like my QB asking for a better line so that he can win next weeks game.

BTW< the Cavies might win anyway. they are a great corp with a winning history.

Yea, yea. I get all those numbers. But "Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns."

Never truer than this year's BD, IMO. And I love their visuals!

Still No. 14 probably, and deserved. But Ott is icing they have to earn.

Definately stiff competition in brass this year, and I think BD more than most knows what you're saying in bold!

Tonight will tell how brass and percussion fair among the big boys. PR percussion is sick and coats and CC are both Ott material.

By the way, why don't we break out the old "neg-o-meter" and count the negitive posts on BD vs all other corps put together. I think we smoked the competition. This is the reassurance that all is right in our heaven....they hate us!!!!! We're going to Disney World!!!!! :worthy:

How can you resolve when it's a show about Glass and the glass breaks at the end? Seriously guys, its not that hard to get. It's a journey, ethereal, transparent, angry, retrospective, introspective, quirky, odd, dissonant, cacophonous, and beauty at times.

I personally think the ending should be WAAY more out and less resolution than what is in now. Only then would the show really make sense from the theme presented.

I get the intention. I'm not sure that the show is successfully taking me on the journey you describe. Who knows, maybe if they did a more out-there ending, I'd like it better. Right now it feels like it makes a half-hearted attempt at resolution and leaves me scratching my head.