Tonight I felt like an old timer!

I have to admit for the first time in the 25 years I've been either participating or following this activity, I finally feel like one of those "old timers" who just dont get the direction of this activity. Im not talking about electronics, vocals, preshows, or any other of the rule changes that have taken place over the last 5 to 10 years. I dont see the diversity or passion written into the shows anymore. There is no question the kids in this activity are highly trained, extremely hard workers with a passion for perfection that many of our nations youth will never achieve.

Welcome to the old pharts bus, take a seat and take cover. There are many young ones who have never experienced what we have come to miss in drum corps today and they like to take pot shots at the bus. It's ok, they just don't know any difference.

All they have is what todays drum corps has to offer. Like you said, todays kids are doing things we could have never imagined.

I just hope at some point the designers realize they DO need people in the stands that can afford to support them.

Of course on one hand we are told we don't count, that the "kids" will continue if we are there or if the stands are empty. Yet make a comment about the show and a few hand wringers will stand up and shout that we are picking on the kids.

Keep going back, every other year or so there are a few shows that will enteritain us and those moments are worth sitting through the others.

Keep the faith, the numbers of people who have walked away will always outnumber those who sit wide eyed ready to pounce on the first person who dares speak against the ONLY thing they know. It's not their fault, they just haven't experienced what we have. And that really irks them

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the old pharts bus, take a seat and take cover. There are many young ones who have never experienced what we have come to miss in drum corps today and they like to take pot shots at the bus. It's ok, they just don't know any difference.

All they have is what todays drum corps has to offer. Like you said, todays kids are doing things we could have never imagined.

I just hope at some point the designers realize they DO need people in the stands that can afford to support them.

Of course on one hand we are told we don't count, that the "kids" will continue if we are there or if the stands are empty. Yet make a comment about the show and a few hand wringers will stand up and shout that we are picking on the kids.

Keep going back, every other year or so there are a few shows that will enteritain us and those moments are worth sitting through the others.

Keep the faith, the numbers of people who have walked away will always outnumber those who sit wide eyed ready to pounce on the first person who dares speak against the ONLY thing they know. It's not their fault, they just haven't experienced what we have. And that really irks them

i understand your frustration, and it's good advice to freelancer, and all.

but your last paragraph....you actually believe that people marching today are "irked" that they didn't march in your era, and that if they aren't it's because they don't know any better?

To the original poster, being at the stadium, up high... you couldn't be father from the truth. The ovations where genuine.

Just more of the same, I heard this in every decade/rule change that I've been involved in the activity. It's not my drum corps... blah, blah, blah.

...dunno if it's the lack of our experience that "irks" them, Mike, but, rather, our unreasonably critical attitude toward all they know. They really have no reference other than recent corps history, just as we didn't...but "we" were in the age of Aquarius, so to speak, things were moving so fast and the thing was so addicting and it was gunfight at the OK Corral and...heh...well, alot of things it *isn't* nowadays. But only *we* know that. So, when the crying in the beer makes it into print here and in other forums, the logical reaction for those younger types is "...what?" Even anger...just as it would have been if we had the internet and instant communications and those guys from Commonwealth Edison or Lt. Norman Prince or Skokie Indians said we sucked and had no soul. I'd be befuddled for sure, and then probably ###### and so would you. Why? Because those Dinos don't have the perception necessary to *understand*! :tongue: What's occurring is process or evolution or whatever the du jour title is...it all boils down to time passing. AFA I'm concerned, I think I'll hang out and appreciate the thing for what it is...'cause I ain't putting it in reverse anytime soon! And I wanna die happy!

cg

I have to say that I have been really intreged with the shows this year. I say WOW alot this year top to bottom. Blown away all year. Cant wait to see what happens after it is all said and done. Blue Devils win, OK. Im down with that. Everything else is drama, not just at the top, I am so over the gseven. And that sucks. But where will everyone else end up? That is the question. Thats why Drum Corps is relevant. Will SCV drop out of the top seven? Will Blue stars beat Phantom? Will GLASSMEN take 9th? Will ACADEMY make semis? Will TROOPERS make finals? Will TEAL SOUND and JERSEY SURF beat PIONEER? Will CC drop to 4th? 5th? Lots of drama still a brewing for the last 2 weeks of DCI 2010 and I said nothing about our Corps the MADISON SCOUTS! Can you say changes. Additions. Jim Mason, Donny Van Doren. Drama for 2 weeks for sure. Gotta love Drum Corps! I do.

All afternoon I've been looking forward to coming home and watching the top 8 drum corps in the world battle it out. From what I've been reading on dcp this is shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever for drum corp. Brought the projector home from work, plugged in the bose to the laptop and prepared for an evening of big, loud and live home style version. I even had my girlfriend, someone who has never seen a drum corp show, sit on the couch watching.

I have to admit for the first time in the 25 years I've been either participating or following this activity, I finally feel like one of those "old timers" who just dont get the direction of this activity. Im not talking about electronics, vocals, preshows, or any other of the rule changes that have taken place over the last 5 to 10 years. I dont see the diversity or passion written into the shows anymore. There is no question the kids in this activity are highly trained, extremely hard workers with a passion for perfection that many of our nations youth will never achieve.

There was not a single show tonight that grabbed me, threw me down in my seat and then made me jump up before the last notes screaming like a little school girl with goose bumps covering my entire body. Did anyone else notice the crowd reaction during the performances and after the last note? Yea!!!!!!! Great job kids, we can tell you're very talented and work very hard, my ### hurts so its time to stand up!

After the Blue Devils (actually every corp) final note, and seeing the look of utter confusion on my girlfriends face, I almost felt like I needed to appologize for wasting the last few hours. I then decided I needed to show her one of my favorite shows of all time. Without saying a word I played 1988 Santa Clara Vanguard. After the corps disapeared she leaned over and said "now that was something I could get excited about and would pay to see!" I then realized what's missing from todays activity. Diversity, Flow, Melodies and Passionately written shows! Im sure I'll be blasted by the younger generation for expressing my disatisfaction and that's fine, we all have a right to an opinion. It was just a sad realization this evening that for the first time in nearly 25 years I realized I am losing touch with an activity that has given me so much joy over the years.

Very well stated. I agree completely. :tongue:

Nothing?

Winner!

It was just a sad realization this evening that for the first time in nearly 25 years I realized I am losing touch with an activity that has given me so much joy over the years.

I can definately relate to you on this. I stopped attending shows 4 years ago for the same reason. I turned and walked from the activity and just recently started checking it out again, only to see that it's actually gotten worse. They aren't even using bugles any more for pete's sake. The transition to "bands" is well on it's way. I believe that's because there are so few Corps for kids to gain the experience that's need to march in a WC Drum Corps, they are having to resort to getting that experience from HS bands. Ultimately, this has caused the surviving Corps to convert to band type brass instruments, with the push to include woodwinds. That day my friend will be a very, VERY sad day for us oldtimers.

I have to say that I have been really intreged with the shows this year. I say WOW alot this year top to bottom. Blown away all year. Cant wait to see what happens after it is all said and done. Blue Devils win, OK. Im down with that. Everything else is drama, not just at the top, I am so over the gseven. And that sucks. But where will everyone else end up? That is the question. Thats why Drum Corps is relevant. Will SCV drop out of the top seven? Will Blue stars beat Phantom? Will GLASSMEN take 9th? Will ACADEMY make semis? Will TROOPERS make finals? Will TEAL SOUND and JERSEY SURF beat PIONEER? Will CC drop to 4th? 5th? Lots of drama still a brewing for the last 2 weeks of DCI 2010 and I said nothing about our Corps the MADISON SCOUTS! Can you say changes. Additions. Jim Mason, Donny Van Doren. Drama for 2 weeks for sure. Gotta love Drum Corps! I do.

That about sums it up for me. Much like the OP, I DON'T care about or feel connected to any of this. I'm happy for you that you do though.

Edited by dckid80